Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

black window trim fading

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by chronos
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Armor All. It's probably the cheapest alternative and makes you black plastics look great. The best part is that when it rains it is water soluble so it leaves no residue on your paint. I use it on my tires also since I don't want all that black stuff on my fenders. When I bought the car they threw that back to black stuff on my tires. A week of driving later I thought I had tar all over my fenders, but it was that black stuff and it just wiped off.
Thats because ArmourAll sorks bad.
It attracts dust and it actually DRIES OUT the plastic
causing you to have to re-apply it over and over and once
you use it or the plastic looks even worse than before you
used ArmourAll. The more you use, the more you need to use
to regain the black appearance. The company designed it that way.
Imagine that....
And the fact that its water soulable means it has
no place on the outside of a vehicle besides not
using it ever on the inside of a vehicle.
Its the cheapest for a reason.
Time will tell and it has told me a lot.
In fact they dont even sell it anymore around here.
I think the product has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

So its a big no on the ArmourAll. I know what its made of....

btw... Back to Black states to not use it on tires on the container
tire shine is for that if you must

Last edited by 157dB; 10-28-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

back to black user here...i don't notice any residue after rain on my paint, though
Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

My black mirrors were discoloring and at a car show another stang owner told me how he uses the Meguiar's product because his mirrors were doing the same thing. I've been using it and love it - turned my mirrors and all the other plastic/rubber pieces around the car back to black!!

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G13616

Edit: I know it says it's the interior detail but I've been using both in and outside the car. No problems at all and it's not greasy feeling either. I like it a lot.

Last edited by red07Pony; 10-29-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

I tried the back to black product.

It made a difference... for about 2-3 months. Then, it was time to reapply.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Plastics are one of the biggest problems Ford has. That is one reason I really don't like all the lower body plastics on the new Mustangs. I'm certain that in a short amount of time they will turn ugly. Then it's up to the owner to paint them or constantly keep adding stuff to make it look good. If you need examples of what I mean, just look at the Expeditions lower trim pieces, they all turn ugly.

I used to use STP Son of a gun on many vehicles for years and never had a problem with cracking or discoloration. They recently discontinued that product and I started using Armor All. I really didn't like that too much because it tends to dry unevenly, and recently I started using an Turtle Wax product that is less greasy and gives a nice smell to your interior. If after a while I don't like that I may try the Maguires. A lot of these products are made for interior but they can be used on the exterior with no problem, the only thing is that they will wear off with water. In you are in the West where it hardly rains, then that really is not an issue.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red07Pony
My black mirrors were discoloring and at a car show another stang owner told me how he uses the Meguiar's product because his mirrors were doing the same thing. I've been using it and love it - turned my mirrors and all the other plastic/rubber pieces around the car back to black!!

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G13616

Edit: I know it says it's the interior detail but I've been using both in and outside the car. No problems at all and it's not greasy feeling either. I like it a lot.
I use that on my interior....great stuff! I have tried Turtle Wax's Wet N Black. It's a gel like product for tires, but I use it for my plastic trim pieces outside.
I've also tried Aerospace 303. I find it is a good product, a little pricey but it doesn't attract dirt and dust as bad as some other products.
I'll have to try the McGuire's interior stuff on the trim.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:40 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Armor All. It's probably the cheapest alternative and makes you black plastics look great. The best part is that when it rains it is water soluble so it leaves no residue on your paint. I use it on my tires also since I don't want all that black stuff on my fenders. When I bought the car they threw that back to black stuff on my tires. A week of driving later I thought I had tar all over my fenders, but it was that black stuff and it just wiped off.
Armor-All is a dust and dirt magnet. There is a reason why some products are more expensive than others.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I know I mentioned Back to Black.. but Turtle Wax ice really is the shiznit. I don't use it on my paint... but it lasts a long time. It in combination with Back to Black is probably a great solution.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
I know I mentioned Back to Black.. but Turtle Wax ice really is the shiznit. I don't use it on my paint... but it lasts a long time. It in combination with Back to Black is probably a great solution.
I thought Turtle Wax Ice was for paint? I'm confused by your post.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:49 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by vbrecken
That's it. I wax my car about twice a year I apply it pretty liberally and I haven't been cautious about where it goes. I'll that Back to Black a try. Thanks.
Use masking tape to protect your trim from now on.
Do your wax deed and remove the tape.
DONE.

07 Stang, Turtle wax is for paint...
Sandman must be using something else.

Last edited by pascal; 10-29-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: black window trim fading