Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Caliper Removal For Painting

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Caliper Removal For Painting

Does anyone have a link or anything to post on this? I've been searching for a while and can't find anything. My new caliper paint arrives tomorrow and I still don't know how to completely remove them so I can brush the paint on. I'm also upgrading/swapping out rotors and caliper brackets(v6 to GT). So I wanted to do everything at the same time and I figured it would just be easier to remove all 4 calipers & brackets for painting. I've looked up how to swap pads and rotors, I was just curious on what else needs to be done to completely remove the caliper so I can be completely ready and know what I need to do before I start. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Last edited by Topless Stang; 10-29-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
Does anyone have a link or anything to post on this? I've been searching for a while and can't find anything. My new caliper paint arrives tomorrow and I still don't know how to completely remove them so I can brush the paint on. I'm also upgrading/swapping out rotors and caliper brackets(v6 to GT). So I wanted to do everything at the same time and I figured it would just be easier to remove all 4 calipers & brackets for painting. I've looked up how to swap pads and rotors, I was just curious on what else needs to be done to completely remove the caliper so I can be completely ready and know what I need to do before I start. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
You don't need to remove the calipers...
I mean, don't disconnect the hoses if that's what you mean.
Too much work, bleeding the brakes etc...

Use wire coat hanger and tape around for overspray but leave them connected to the brake hoses.
Good luck.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
You don't need to remove the calipers...
I mean, don't disconnect the hoses if that's what you mean.
Too much work, bleeding the brakes etc...

Use wire coat hanger and tape around for overspray but leave them connected to the brake hoses.
Good luck.
That's what my original plan was, but they guy I bought my caliper brackets from had other ideas lol. Instead of just sending me the brackets he set me a complete set of front calipers and brake hoses from a GT. The difference is his stuff is was only used for under 15k, mine on the other hand has been in use for slightly over 50k. SO I figured I would just swap everything out. I looked up bleeding the brakes and it doesn't seem hard to do(especially with any one man bleeding tool), I just don't know if that's all you remove(the hoses) after getting them off the rotors and I don't know if that's all you have to do after reconnecting them(bleed the brakes). It just seems to me that completely removing them, painting them, reattaching them and then bleeding the brakes would be the way to go. I can not find this info anywhere.....thanks for the advice tho...
Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Based on your experience level I agree with pascal. Bleeding brakes sounds easy but it can be a pain in the *** and is going to be a lot more time consumingthaen you imagine. If you have ABS and get air in the abs unit you probably will not be able to bleed it out yourself. 50k is not a lot of miles so either stay with your current calipers or paint the new set and let a shop swap them on for you. Otherwise you should have help from someone who's done a brake job or two before. Where in PA are you?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Based on your experience level I agree with pascal. Bleeding brakes sounds easy but it can be a pain in the *** and is going to be a lot more time consumingthaen you imagine. If you have ABS and get air in the abs unit you probably will not be able to bleed it out yourself. 50k is not a lot of miles so either stay with your current calipers or paint the new set and let a shop swap them on for you. Otherwise you should have help from someone who's done a brake job or two before. Where in PA are you?
That stinks. The videos made it seem rather simple. I'm in Macungie, Pa. It's hard even with the bleeder tool? What is all involved. The videos and walkthrus I saw said to just bolt everything up, attach the bleeder tool to the valve and depress the brakes a few times(until the bubbles stop coming out and then close the valve. I'm starting to get nervous lol.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Russell Speed Bleeders ForTheWin.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Bleeding after a simple brake job isn't to bad and you should have that under your belt befoer going into this project IMO. You will be opening up the whole system and putting in new 'dry' components. While the procedure is still basically the same it is a two person job unless you have a vacuum bleeder that keeps a fresh supply of brake fluid going i while the air is purged out. Any air in the system and the brakes are not going to be right. So that means a lot of trial and error. Final trial being actually driving it and when it isn't right you will be pulling the wheels off over and over. So that is why I'm cautioning you as to how much time it can take and the need to have some prior experience. 1st Mustang Club of PA is in your area and PennMustangs.com has a large member base down that general way as well. You should be able to find some Mustang friends to give you a hand.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Russell Speed Bleeders ForTheWin.
I've always wanted t try them but never get around to ordering them. Only heard good things about them and are great solution for a one man operation.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Bleeding after a simple brake job isn't to bad and you should have that under your belt befoer going into this project IMO. You will be opening up the whole system and putting in new 'dry' components. While the procedure is still basically the same it is a two person job unless you have a vacuum bleeder that keeps a fresh supply of brake fluid going i while the air is purged out. Any air in the system and the brakes are not going to be right. So that means a lot of trial and error. Final trial being actually driving it and when it isn't right you will be pulling the wheels off over and over. So that is why I'm cautioning you as to how much time it can take and the need to have some prior experience. 1st Mustang Club of PA is in your area and PennMustangs.com has a large member base down that general way as well. You should be able to find some Mustang friends to give you a hand.
Thanks for the links. I'll be joining them shortly. I plan on going f/i and doing a GT500 conversion next spring...so I need to make mustang friends lol. As far as the brakes go I'm doing them this weekend...I couldn't ask anybody that I don't know to help on such short notice. If I read that right are you saying I should bleed the brakes after swapping out the pads & rotors?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

bumpity bump bump...bumpity bump bump

Quick Reply: Caliper Removal For Painting