Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

20's on a V6 Mustang... issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Default 20's on a V6 Mustang... issues?

Any potential problems or issues with putting a 20 inch rim on my v6 mustang?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

i'm running 20's with no problem
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

It might feel kinda sluggish thats all. Depends on what size tire you go with.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First, 20" wheels are typically much heavier than the stock 17' and 18", thus the potential sluggish feel. Not everyone's "butt dyno" is sensitive so some may not notice.

Second, going to a 20" wheel will pretty much drive you into a series 35 tire to maintain SOME semblence of the stock tire OD to maintain the tire's revs per mile and speedo accuracy. 35 series tires have even less sidewall than the not so desireable 55 series stock tires. Besides affecting handling (again, not a concern to some), quite a few people don't care for the "rubber band on a wagon wheel" or "in the hood" look (and again, some do). IMO, going with less sidewall takes away from the retro look of the S197 which is one of the biggest reasons for everyones, young and old, fascination with it.

Last edited by Nuke; 10-30-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: can't spell for chit...
Old 10-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First, 20" wheels are typically much heavier than the stock 17' and 18", thus the potential sluggish feel. Not everyone's "butt dyno" is sensitive so some may not notice.

Second, going to a 20" wheel will pretty much drive you into a series 35 tire to maintain SOME semblence of the stock tire OD to maintain the tire's revs per mile and speedo accuracy. 35 series tires have even less sidewall than the not so desireable 55 series stock tires. Besides affecting handling (again, not a concern to some), quite a few people don't care for the "rubber band on a wagon wheel" or "in the hood" look (and again, some do). IMO, going with less sidewall takes away from the retro look of the S197 which is one of the biggest reasons for everyones, young and old, facination with it.
yea,,,,,,
Old 10-30-2009, 02:25 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Second, going to a 20" wheel will pretty much drive you into a series 35 tire to maintain SOME semblence of the stock tire OD to maintain the tire's revs per mile and speedo accuracy. 35 series tires have even less sidewall than the not so desireable 55 series stock tires. Besides affecting handling (again, not a concern to some), quite a few people don't care for the "rubber band on a wagon wheel" or "in the hood" look (and again, some do). IMO, going with less sidewall takes away from the retro look of the S197 which is one of the biggest reasons for everyones, young and old, fascination with it.

plus.. if you hit a pothole even slightly at an angle (with low profile tires)..... get ready to buy a new rim.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
plus.. if you hit a pothole even slightly at an angle (with low profile tires)..... get ready to buy a new rim.
Took the words right out of my mouth. (or fingers )
Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM
dipsetwarrior
1st Gear Member

I HAVE HAD 20'S FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS. THE RIMS HAD CRACKED ABOUT 10 TIMES BECAUSE OF POT HOLES TOTALLING IN $800 OF WELDING TO THE RIMS! BUT EVER SINCE I BOUGHT NEW THICKER TIRES I HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WATSOEVER.

OVERALL: I COULD HAVE SAVED $800

SO I WOULD SUGGEST "18

20' IS JUST NOT THE WAY TO GO!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

*disclaimer*
This is my opion and is not directed at all 20's
*/disclaimber*

I have seen some good looking 20's, but if you don't get the right rim or tire, they just don't look as good as a nice set of 18's
Old 11-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Second, going to a 20" wheel will pretty much drive you into a series 35 tire to maintain SOME semblence of the stock tire OD to maintain the tire's revs per mile and speedo accuracy. 35 series tires have even less sidewall than the not so desireable 55 series stock tires. it.
I understand a 35 series tire won't "absorb the road" like a higher tire would.

Other than looks, what makes a 55 series tire less desirable?

Quick Reply: 20's on a V6 Mustang... issues?