Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Making my own DIY CAI....progress pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i really like the attempt and craftsmanship on your part but i'm skeptical on the practicality. $250 for a CAI refers only to select brands, not all. ebay CAI's are pretty cheap these days ($60-$70) and they are basically replicas of existing big brand CAI's so you dont need to worry about running lean or throwing codes. well hopefully it works out for your new car's sake and that doug's tunes function properly. keep us posted on your progress.

FYI... i've taken my stang into the dealership with two different CAI's, dual exhaust, gears and bama tuned. as others have noted, service dept could give a rats @$$ what minor/moderate mods you have so long as they are not the culprit of any issues and the reason for your visit.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

thanks man, i'm sure everything will be fine.....worst case scenario doug says he can't tune it and i buy a K&N drop in lol
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

That's the spirit lol. You're right though, pretty sure nothings going to blow up or anything. If it ends up not working out you could just sell it on e-bay as a "Custom Super Turbo Intake" or something
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

hahahahha if i saw something listed as a custom super turbo intake for the 4.0L engine, I would buy it instantly.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

ahahhhahahhahaah lol
I love it, custom super turbo intake lol

I'm gonna post pics of the nearly finished product tomorrow!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

here's a thought... if i were to fabricate my own homemade CAI, i think i would at least try to match the specs of the JLT or DeMolet. Those are ovesized CAI's (3" MAF diameter) and should yield more potential when properly tuned.

are you limited to the diameter size of tubing you have or do you specifically want it to also work without a tune?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

No I want it to HAVE to work with a tune lol
That's why I have 3.5 inch diameter tubing and a highflow filter for it......what i'm thinkin may limit me is the fact that i will be using factory sized maf housing.
Not sure whether it will be a HUGE limitation, but my guesses are that it will perform on par with at least a bbk or mac..and possibly close to a jlt
I am going for maximum flow with this and am hoping for good gains.
I have seen dyno charts for GT muffler CAI tune guys from stock at around 180-185 go to numbers of around 205-208 with ^^^those mods.
I'm really just wanting my numbers to break 200 though, just a personal goal..
Also here are a list of my mods that I have sitting at my house that have not been installed and are awaiting a tune from bama.

Two GT mufflers ( i'll only have one for now since i don't have midpipe though i'm looking)
My DIY intake
Xcal 2
and I have a 5sp so that helps with drivetrain loss
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

well with a bigger MAF, you could yield more since you already have an oversized tube. the factory MAF may be the only thing that holds it back.

*also keep note about the physics of the incoming air charge... the combination of high velocity + high volume is optimal. NA cars can only "suck" so hard (lol, i know) so going too big in tubing size will not make anymore difference since incoming air charge velocity will be decreased. the physics are similar to exhaust flow. too wide open and you lose torque and don't gain enough hp to make up for it. too small and then it becomes restrictive. just sharing some general info in case you weren't aware.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kona6Stang10
worst case scenario doug says he can't tune it and i buy a K&N drop in lol
Doug would have to be an idiot to do a mailorder tune for an intake he hasn't actually tested/run on a dyno.

And Doug is no idiot...
Old 11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Default Well...

I've decided to just try to work out a way to make the filter i posted earlier to work inside the stock air box......
We'll see how tha works....but i will continue to work on my custom intake but for now i'm gonna see what I can do.....I'll prolly end up just gettin a K&N drop in ......

But I'm gonna just get some 3 inch diameter pipe and down size slightly bc 3.5 may be overkill, I can figure out the flow of that tube with some simple physics and math then send it to Doug and see what he can do.
If nothing, then it's not like I wasted any money other than band clamps lol

What size is the stock TB inlet? 3inch?
I'm just gonna try to go with that bc it would basically be smoothing out the air flow with less turbulent air coming in with a better flowing filter....I assume that's what we are going for with a CAI.
Smoother less turbulent air, with more velocity, and easier inhalation results.

Correct me if i'm wrong

Quick Reply: Making my own DIY CAI....progress pics