Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exterior or Performance parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

that too, good point. lowering the car looks good and helps performance
Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

i have been alternating between Show and Go....i think it works out quite well
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

If you don't have the Pony Package, front and rear GT take-off sways is a cheap and easy mod. It made a world of difference in mine.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

As far as I'm concerned the car already looks good! Get yourself a good tuner/cai package and a decent exhaust(even just a GT takeoff muffler). Its not just the 20-25 HP you will pick up but the big improvement you get in driveability, ESPECIALLY if you have an automatic transmission. A good tune from vmp, bama, etc will work wonders on your 4.0 V6. This is the way the V6 Mustangs should have run in the first place! Theres alot more you can do performance wise(much more money!)but these few mods are a great start. Later on you can get gears and T-lok to help performance even more.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 AM
romac

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
I never understood why folks don't recommend drag radials when the question pops up of looks versus performance. DR's are both -

[sadly, that car is owned by somebody else now]
I have no personal experience on the subject, but isn't running a set of DR's on the 7.5" rear end pretty much asking for trouble? I know a lot of it depends on the driver, and how many launches it sees etc., but that could be why it doesn't come up often, since it's at least safer to go to an 8.8 before you add stickies.

On a side note, that looks freaking sick. I was telling a guy at work I was hoping to run DR's next summer and was thinking about getting some summer wheels to run them on. Now I think I'd rather just try to find 2 extra PP wheels and slap them on there for cruising and track days. That looks beastly.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by romac
I have no personal experience on the subject, but isn't running a set of DR's on the 7.5" rear end pretty much asking for trouble? I know a lot of it depends on the driver, and how many launches it sees etc., but that could be why it doesn't come up often, since it's at least safer to go to an 8.8 before you add stickies.

On a side note, that looks freaking sick. I was telling a guy at work I was hoping to run DR's next summer and was thinking about getting some summer wheels to run them on. Now I think I'd rather just try to find 2 extra PP wheels and slap them on there for cruising and track days. That looks beastly.
Yes, I was asking for trouble and I got it. I did chew up my 7.5" 4.10:1 t-loc rear, but it was fun while it lasted! In hindsight, I wished I had gone with a 8.8" take-off rear, but I ended up selling that car anyway.

In terms of the DR's, those are 275/50R17 (28" diameter) M&H Racemaster drag radials, which were mounted on 17x9" replica Bullitts I bought from American Muscle. I got the matching tri-bar pony center caps, and they looked great with the factory wheels up front. I don't know if I would put those 275 DR's on a factory 17x8" rim.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:24 PM
The Razor
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
I never understood why folks don't recommend drag radials when the question pops up of looks versus performance. DR's are both -

Why get drag radials if you're dealing with a stock V6 rear end?

As for which addons to get, show or go, I also alternate, depending on cost.
For instance, I added pony fogs, a rear blackout panel, shorty antennae and 18" wheels and rims.
But next I'm going for the CAI+tune, then dual exhaust, then a ducktail spoiler and probably GT rear fascia.
Lastly, I'll add a TB, front chin spoiler, then 8.8 rear end, then aluminum driveshaft and headers. I'll finish off with a turbo kit years from now.
Mix and match.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:46 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

I've been getting a little of both. Almost taking turns on what i've purchased. Mostly because a lot of the stuff i've come across has been a good deal. Like others have said, it's all personal preference.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:04 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I started with the basics...

CAI/Tune - Dual Exhaust - Gears

Then went to show (GT front/rear bumpers, rocker panels)

Then went back to go (rims/tires/x-charger/suspension)

Then back to show & go (misc items under hood, etc.)
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

for me I've done a few show and a little go. But I am satisfied with the show for now, so its gonna be go-go for a while. There are a lot of v6 s197's around here and they always seem to wanna line up at stop lights with you just to mess around. It'll be fun to dust a couple stock v6s. There isn't a lot of modding in my area, seems that everyone drives stock vehicles.

Quick Reply: Exterior or Performance parts?