Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exterior or Performance parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Mustang1023
1st Gear Member

Default Exterior or Performance parts?

What would you guys say is worth getting, exterior parts for the looks or performance parts for the performance and sound? Such as a hood scoop or a new exhaust system or CAI?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to MF. That is completly personal preference. Do you want more performance from your stang or do you want it to look cool (cooler)?

I have done a couple of each for now. But if I had a given amount of $$ and could do a hood scoop, exhaust, or CAI/tune. I think I would go with a CAI/tune. You won't gain much performance at this piont with the exhaust. The CAI/tune will give you a definate improvement in the way the car feels and performs for multiple reasons.

The exhuast looks and sounds good, but be aware if you have a v6 it is't going to sound deep and throaty like a v8 engine does, by adding dual exhaust. Do to the even firing order on the v6 (as opposed to odd firing on v8) it can be made to sound tough or cool, but it will NEVER sound like the old muscle cars.

The cai/tune will correct a few factory things and add some spunk to the, already great, ride. FYI a cai without a tune is kinda pointless, the tune is were you are going to get your gains. Also a custom tune is a million times better than a canned tune.

Basically it comes down to what you wanna do with the car. If you wanna make a street/strip car go with performance first, then looks. If you just wanna really cool daily driver or a show car then put the looks ahead of the performance. Keep in mind that there are tons of exterior mods, plan your trip and do it tastefully.

Once you start modding its hard to shake the mod bug! BE CAREFUL
Old 11-05-2009, 06:15 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

i just alternate
work on one facet at a time
some involve both like a dual exhaust and a new bumper
also the C&L CAI looks pretty freaking awesome. its almost an appeareance part it looks so nice lol
Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

my car is basically all performance lol even the wheels are hallow spoke for less unsprung weight so i think you can guess id say do performance mods lol
Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Mustang1023
1st Gear Member

How do I get a custom tuner?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang1023
How do I get a custom tuner?
First you click on "SEARCH". Then type in "CAI & tune". Then read, read and read some more. Bottom line is that unless you're planning on going FI, than a CAI & tune is about the biggest bang-for-the-buck in power addition. After that it's nickle and dime stuff unless you work the internals.

As far as performance ("GO") vs looks ("SHOW"), I get more wood from the performance mods than I do from all the compliments I get from people. Not that the compliments, thumbs-up, nods, etc aren't worth it. They are. And they come from all age groups and genders.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:53 AM
John.m.Kurtz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
i just alternate
work on one facet at a time
some involve both like a dual exhaust and a new bumper
also the C&L CAI looks pretty freaking awesome. its almost an appeareance part it looks so nice lol
Yeah I try to do1-2mods on go then 1-2 on show. There is so much i want to do that I jsut go for what i can when i can.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Like said above, its personal preference. I just did my first mod (Tune) and I am very satisfied with this choice. Getting rid of the throttle lag and the drivability/performance boost was just what I wanted first. I do want appearance mods, but I'm sticking with my plan to do most of the performance mods first.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I never understood why folks don't recommend drag radials when the question pops up of looks versus performance. DR's are both -

[sadly, that car is owned by somebody else now]
Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

suspension?

Quick Reply: Exterior or Performance parts?