Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dec 09 Car and Driver trashes V6 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:11 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Yea, that video is way off. If you can't compare apples to apples, then the tests are only for amusement purposes. The Mustang did awesome for a factory built vehicle. The Camaro was from a shop which doesn't have to live up to the same stringent government regulations. Why didn't they take a souped up shop Mustang? That would be really awesome to see what some shop can create out of a GT500 with no government intervention with gas mileage standards or emissions restraints. The Dodge, unfortunately is a gas guzzling hog. I like the looks of the car, but it is just too big and drives like a luxoboat. I test drove one and liked my Mustangs responsiveness much better. When driving the Dodge you can't feel the ground very well. It doesn't have good feedback. I haven't test driven a Camaro yet, but when I sat in one in the showroom, I found it uncomfortable, and the interior is hideous. The 05-09 interiors are gorgeous compared to the Camaro interior. For those who like the 2010 Mustang interiors better than the 05-09, then don't even bother looking at the inside of a Camaro.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 PM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

^^ Couldn't agree more. I did test drive a camaro. In fact, I planned on buying one until I saw it in person. I compared the mustang and camaro (apples to apples). The camaro is wicked fast and has a nice exterior style. However, the interior stinks and there is no way to use that backseat in the camaro unless you're an amputee (no offense). My kids (4&7) couldn't fit in the back. I got in the mustang and was sold. The interior is much nicer the exterior is really nice on the 10 and my kids fit in the back. It may not be as fast but it sounds awesome when you rev the engine. Also, the Ford dealers don't seem so stuck up. Hey GM get a clue you have a nice car but you are struggling to stay afloat. You shouldn't let your dealers get away with trying to sell a car designed for the masses at 5-10K over sticker. You will sink.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 AM
dopeboifrsh12

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Pretty obvious they are only trashing it because the HP numbers are lower then the rest of the competition, with the genesis and camaro hitting the 300hp mark w/a six banger.

Honestly though, I have seen WAAAY more V-6 Mustangs around town then I have ever seen a GT. For every GT I see, there's like 6-7 Sixxers lol. Someones doing something right!

(-:
True

I have a 6 banger because I'm in college and insurance on v8 was too much at my age. But where else can I get a rear wheel drive convertible with leather and 27k on the odometer for $14k? I could have easily gotten the gt next to it for an extra 30 dollars. I just like the mustangs quality and realiability.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

It's not about the cost, picking a V6 over a GT..... I paid MUCH more for my V6 then I could've gotten a standard GT for. I bought it because I liked it. Simple as that. The Camaro's kinda ugly in my opinion, and the Genesis is a friggin' Hyundai.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jocatch
Page 125 of the Dec 09 Car and Driver has a "Short Take" on the Mustang V6 and they trashed it. They compared it with the Camaro and Genesis regarding power, handling, etc. To a certain extent, they are right. Why DO the Camaro and Genesis V6, although are smaller, put out almost 100 more horse than the Mustang?

They said "V6 Accords will walk all over this pony car". They complained about the brakes and rear axle too. Again, I think they have some valid points which I am hoping will be fixed with the 2011. I have the V8 GT but their points apply to that engine as well.

They conclude "..that makes the Mustang a great value to the demographic group that cares only for looks. We are not among it."

Joe
Don't see many reviews on the 6 cylinder Dodge Challenger. That car is even slower than the V6 mustang.

Anyways, I always get a kick out of the car reviews from rag mags. They compare cars from different generations and wonder why they dont' match up.

The current rendition of the Mustang has been around since 2005. Where was camaro...where was the genesis...?? Oh that's right still on the drawing board and still being planned.

The current gen of Genesis replaces the old hydai tiburon. Take that tiburon and compare it with the 05 mustang. That's a generation to generation comparison.

Now take a 2005 camaro...oh wait, you can't, cos camaro hasn't been around for 8 years LOL GM needed this as their halo car for the average joe so of course they're going to dump a vette engine into it and stick all of their highest engine tech into it (v6 and v8). Anyways, people that get their egos bruised over a car review need to have their self esteem checked.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

If you consider the many reviews of the 2010 Mustang that have appeared in recent months (most of which admittedly are of the GT and GT500) they have been quite good overall, particularly comparisons against the Camaro and the Challenger. Also, it will be interesting to see the level of manufacturer and third-party mods that will be made available on those other platforms. I'm guessing it won't be as large of a business and with far fewer options than there are for the Mustang.
That said, the Camaro does have some good performance numbers, and even though its a fat pig, the Challenger looks great. For me though, I'll keep my Mustang GT (at least until the 2011 5-liter V-8 comes out!).
Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

I bought a 2010 V6 base model with a sticker of $22,800 before rebates. It was cheaper than I could have gotten a 4 cyl fusion for (which i traded a i4 fusion 08 off a lease) The 4.0 is 210 hp 240 tq camaro 304 hp 270 tq. stock.
The camaro is a nice car my father in law bought a v6 RS package. The camaro's biggest drawback for me is...Its a GM. I'm a ford guy through and through....needless to say no foreign. I love my V6 mustang. It sounds good with my GT take off. Looks good. Is fun to drive. Fast enough. Its my daily driver. Summer and winter, and a good price I can afford. Ya id love to have a GT with more power. but there is no such thing as too much power.
coming from a 08 fusion with 160 hp 140 tq to my v6 im happy.
I had a 4x4 ranger in 08 with the 4.0 and beat a new monte SS of the light. they kid driving almost **** when he asked if i had a V8. after that i loved the 4.0L.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Hyundai...LOL!

Who ever chooses one of those ugly turds over any mustang would have to be brain dead. On the same note, I'd have to be brain dead myself to buy ANY foreign car. Fuxx that! It's a combination of the idea and I don't like the way they look.

I can see someone choosing a camaro instead though. Those who are long time camaro fans would choose it with no thought.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Have you guys met any of those borderline douchebags that write those articles in any Mags?
If not, when you do, it'll make a lot of sense to you.

And I agree, imagine that conversation...
-"What do you drive?"
-"A Hyundai".
-"Pfffffttt!! Sorry I asked..."
LOL.

Last edited by pascal; 11-10-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

lol, performance wise i do have to say the genesis will smoke the sixxer i think. But you also have to think, the new SHO will smoke the 05-09 GT

The V6 generation of cars out there are hella fast, get used to it cause that is what alot of companies are doing these days.

Quick Reply: Dec 09 Car and Driver trashes V6 Mustang