Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Which way would you go: X or GT?
X
62.96%
GT
37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Options: GT vs X-charger....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Default Options: GT vs X-charger....

Ive been tossing around the idea lately, and i have found a few nice GT in my area. My car is fully paid off and i also have about $2500 sitting around. I could easily go down to the dealership and get me a nicely used Gt I've been looking at for some time now. I've always wanted a V8 but fuel economy, insurance, and my old parts already on my car would go down the drain.

The prospect of the V8 is very tantalizing, but the prospect of the X with low cost and maintainable fuel economy are starting to look a little better. But HP is lost, maybe not 100% so with the coming of the IC X... (325hp? maybe)

My question to you X-charged guys is simply: y?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:28 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Definitely a personal choice. There are pros and cons both ways. But since you are asking for opinions...

I say that you go for the X. Obviously I am biased, but here's why:
- Your current car is paid off. With the shakiness of the economy, you are sitting good compared to other people who are sitting on thousands owed on their car.
- The X is unique. How many people do you know where you live with a screamin hopped-up sixer?
- You can upgrade as dispensable income becomes available to you. Once again no need to get a loan or get in debt. If you only have enough for the X, you can get that now and then upgrade to the IC version later.
- The X has proven to be very very reliable.
- X holds it's value better than your car will. If hard times hit you, people have turned around and sold their X kits for a good portion of what they paid for them.

just a few points. Like i said tho, it's really up to you. It's hard to beat that V8 grumble too :P
Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Tough question. What are your goals? Are you a regular at the drag strip? Are you more of a auto-x guy? How much more are you going to have to spend to get a GT? I'm confident you'll be happy either way you go. If max HP and fastest 1/4 mile times are important to you then the answer is obvious; get the GT. I'm perfectly happy with the power level of my X-Charged car. I make 287rwhp and 301 # torque without an intercooler, that's better than stock GT numbers.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
JimC

I like my Xcharger - and it is running a very safe tune right now so nowhere near the RWHP and torque possibility. Will a centri or turbo outrun me at the dragstrip, yes, but if I cut a much better light the X will give me a jump that they have to make up and run me down.

And not too bad against a BMW 706 with a V-12 in it from yesterday at the track:

Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by beaustang
Tough question. What are your goals? Are you a regular at the drag strip? Are you more of a auto-x guy? How much more are you going to have to spend to get a GT? I'm confident you'll be happy either way you go. If max HP and fastest 1/4 mile times are important to you then the answer is obvious; get the GT. I'm perfectly happy with the power level of my X-Charged car. I make 287rwhp and 301 # torque without an intercooler, that's better than stock GT numbers.
I can get the GT now with just about 2500 out of pocket.

My car is a DD and i intend to keep it that way until i sell it. Max HP is not my goal, neither is the fastest 1/4 times. That doesn't mean I'd want a car that is ok on HP. My personal goal is 325-350 HP. I know that's going to be hard to reach, and mostly I don't do strait line driving. NO NOS!!!

The best way to put it is: that i can have the HP when i need it, but not feel like im driving a full-on racecar all the time.

Originally Posted by basketballord
Definitely a personal choice. There are pros and cons both ways. But since you are asking for opinions...

I say that you go for the X. Obviously I am biased, but here's why:
- Your current car is paid off. With the shakiness of the economy, you are sitting good compared to other people who are sitting on thousands owed on their car.
- The X is unique. How many people do you know where you live with a screamin hopped-up sixer?
- You can upgrade as dispensable income becomes available to you. Once again no need to get a loan or get in debt. If you only have enough for the X, you can get that now and then upgrade to the IC version later.
- The X has proven to be very very reliable.
- X holds it's value better than your car will. If hard times hit you, people have turned around and sold their X kits for a good portion of what they paid for them.

just a few points. Like i said tho, it's really up to you. It's hard to beat that V8 grumble too :P
The point on uniqueness is one i havnt thought of yet. And i know the outstanding reliability of X.

*Another question on increasing HP with an X...has anyone ever used an X with heads and cams?

Last edited by Stang-aholic; 11-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic

*Another question on increasing HP with an X...has anyone ever used an X with heads and cams?
Wiseguy answer: Of course, the X won't work if the engine doesn't have heads and cams too

Practical answer: I don't think anyone has done so yet. Aftermarket heads and cams are expensive to do on these cars, and by the time you've done both, I'd say the economics would be getting a bit questionable.

The "X" with the intercooler and 2.6 pulley should drop you right in the range you're looking for. I'm doing right around 300rwhp with gobs of torque using the non-intercooled "X" and water/meth injection

The "uniqueness" is a serious factor to consider. The "X" looks darn good and is a serious crowd pleaser. I've done extremely well at car shows, I think partially because the car garners attention by not "going with the flow". I can almost read spectators minds watching them cruising down the line of cars looking at engine bays at shows: "4.6L, 4.6L, modded 4.6L, yet another 4.6L....Hey wait! what the heck...4.0L...Supercharged?" Sometimes being different is good.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 11-08-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

since you say you don't do much straight line racing and even if you do I would have to say stick with the v6 and supercharge it due to the weight factor which is good for a 1/4 mile and also a road course, that was the reasoning behind the Terlingua and CS6 mustangs.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I've gotta agree with ^^^^ a supercharged V6, especially an X-Charged V6 is going to be far superior on a road track or auto-x. The immediate torque response with no lag will get you out of the corners like a rocket.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I have 2 friends with nice GT's, and everytime we go to a car show they walk passed thiers and look right at mine.

Doesn't matter if it is a 6er or not, it's a SUPERCHARGER!

But realistically, a HIPO X with a 2.8 pulley is going to give you all the power you want, when you want it, and still keep a nice drive out of the boost. Add a few supporting mods and you have a 12-13 sec strip car, and a lot of looks
Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Wow thanks for all the responses, i think the X is definitely more practical than buying a GT, esp with the times :/

The reason I asked about the heads and cams is that i've been looking at SSM.com and they seem to have heads, cams, pistons, and pretty much everything to easily push the 400hp mark. Their prices arent too bad. I think adding heads. Stage 2+ with the X may make a hard car to beat.

But knowing that the X makes "gobs of torque" does that pretty much make it a necessity to upgrade to an 8.8? even if im the person that may hit the track maybe 2-4 times a year?

*I maybe getting a little off the main topic, but i think going with the X might be more suitable in my situation.

Quick Reply: Options: GT vs X-charger....