Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI ...What is Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:02 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Question CAI ...What is Tune?

Really basic question..for which I cannot find the answer online using Google. I am obvioulsy not a mechanic..so go easy on me. I recently bought an 08 V6 Pony Package. I posted a thread asking about the best way to spnd $500 for increased performance.....obviously answer was CAI+Tuner. I see pics of a tuner....so you plug it in...then what? I assume you tune your engine, but how...what is being tuned and do you need to be a mechanic or does the instructions tell you how to use the tuner to optimize the CAI?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM
JimC

The tuner adjusts the computer for your car - very different today from the 60's.

When you get a CAI + tuner combination it will have some base tunes on it usually. Plug it in and select the tune you want to download to your car - adjustments cover things like spark advance/retard, fuel trims, automatic shift points, even the rear end gears and tire revolution.

When you buy the tuner they need the computer code number for your car so it can be tuned for your computer.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Use the search feature on the forum. Lot's to learn. Too much for me to type and it's all in the forum anyway. Check the stickies, too.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08 Pony Package
Really basic question..for which I cannot find the answer online using Google. I am obvioulsy not a mechanic..so go easy on me. I recently bought an 08 V6 Pony Package. I posted a thread asking about the best way to spnd $500 for increased performance.....obviously answer was CAI+Tuner. I see pics of a tuner....so you plug it in...then what? I assume you tune your engine, but how...what is being tuned and do you need to be a mechanic or does the instructions tell you how to use the tuner to optimize the CAI?

Thanks guys.
most cold air intakes are larger diameter than the stock piece. So even flowing the same amount of air will cause the engine to think it's in a lean condition. So you need a tune to rectify this condition. A tune will normally come loaded w/3 stock tunes. Depending on the tuner you may get a 93 octane tune, a 91 octane tune and a low octane tune that may or may not help with power, but will reprogram your ecu for the CAI.

You plug it into the OBD II port under your steering wheel and pretty much follow the instructions on screen to load a tune. A tune will do alot to wake up your engine. You can delete the top speed limiter, set transmission shift points, increase sensitivity of the drive by wire throttle.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Typically, you order a CAI & tune combo and the handheld comes preloaded with 3 tunes based on your PCM code, mods and what octane you want. These are called CUSTOM tunes since they are customized to your engine. Even the 87 CUSTOM tune kicks azz over the stock 87 tune. The company that writes your tunes adjust a number of operating parameters in order to squeeze more HP from your engine. Some tunes are better than others. The better ones can be had from Brenspeed and Bama.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:44 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys for the detailed info. My neighbor says that just putting a ram air or cold air kit really doesn't necessitate a tune. As stated earlier, I am not a mechanic, so I have to ask people who know. As with anything, there are differing opinions or levels of knowledge.

If I wanted to get off cheaply....spending $250 - $300 on just a kit, without a tune......could I damage my engine or would I simply not achieve the most benefit that I would from the kit/tuner combo?

Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:50 PM
JimC

First question --- and what does you neighbor drive and do? On this site you will find a wealth of information from guys that have done it all to their Mustangs.

If the cold air kit is worth anything, then it will require a tune. If it doesn't require a tune then all it is doing is making your engine bay look different, but you won't see any difference in performance.

If the intake IS doing something, then you will need a tune or you will start to throw codes because you will be running lean most likely because of the extra air flowing. The computer won't get the proper reading because the input is based upon the stock set up and not the upgraded air flow - so it won't make the necessary adjustments or will adjust wrong. Lean is not good by the way. As Egon said in Ghostbusters "it would be bad".

If you have an automatic, the first thing that a CAI and tune will do is take away the throttle lag. Best upgrade I did.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If your neighbor doesn't own or work on S197's, then why are you listening to him? A stand-alone CAI might net you a lousy 4-6 RWHP; barely butt dyno noticeable. A CAI & tune will net you 15-25 or more RWHP. Just do it.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

vmptuning.com has a basic cai/tuner package for the Mustang V6 for $449.00. I've use it on my car since 07 and everybody is right when they say it wakes up the V6 Mustang. Its also a very good idea to get some sort of performance exhaust too, a GT takeoff muffler works just fine and is pretty cheap. These 3 mods will get you an extra 20-25 HP at the rear wheels along with much better drive ability. Makes the V6 alot more fun to drive! I also use there 87 mileage tune on extended highway trips and have gotten better mileage. You will love it!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys....this is exactly why I am asking questions. My neighbor has a Dodge Hemi pickup with a ram air intake and a crotch-rocket street bike. He has done many mods on his street bike and was telling me about how he has mapped out all of his mods and made the necessary tune changes. So, he knows about tunes and engines, but he doesn't have a Mustang. In other words, he knows about engines and mechanics...but doesn't have a Mustang. (so basically he's a dirtbag, kidding, he's cool) Again, this is why I am asking here. So it seems you get what you pay for. If I just want my engine bay to look a little cooler, go with the CAI and nothing more...if I actually want a little more pep in my V6 Pony Package (manual transmission)...then spend the extra few bucks and get the combo. Got it. Thanks again.

Last edited by 08 Pony Package; 11-19-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: CAI ...What is Tune?