Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do vent covers come off

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
vbrecken
1st Gear Member

Default Do vent covers come off

I've got a rattle. My driver side vent cover is rattling. The chrome plated cover over the vent, do these pop off? I figure I could line it with some thin weatherstripping that still allow it to be adjusted but not rattle any more. I didn't want to take a chance and try to pry it off cause if they don't come off and it break I have to buy a new dash, right?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vbrecken
I've got a rattle. My driver side vent cover is rattling. The chrome plated cover over the vent, do these pop off? I figure I could line it with some thin weatherstripping that still allow it to be adjusted but not rattle any more. I didn't want to take a chance and try to pry it off cause if they don't come off and it break I have to buy a new dash, right?
are you talking about the 4 vents that let air into the car? the ones with the chrome rings around it? if so yes they do come off! i took all mine off and i even took the chrome ring off because i painted them all flat black. what you do is you open the vent and put your fingers in it. hook on and PULLLLLL. thats it just pull. be carful not to rip one of the shades off but you do need some force. and to put it back in jut PUSHHHH. it is all brute force. but they do come out.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

^^ Did you research that before you did it? I think I would be a little nervous to just start pulling without knowing thats how its suppose to come off. One way or the other we need gutsy guys like you to tell us.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
^^ Did you research that before you did it? I think I would be a little nervous to just start pulling without knowing thats how its suppose to come off. One way or the other we need gutsy guys like you to tell us.

Thanks
my only research i did was i went to a junkyard found a mustang and did it and wahla it worked so i went home and did it and wahla it worked again
Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 PM
4point0stang

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang
are you talking about the 4 vents that let air into the car? the ones with the chrome rings around it? if so yes they do come off! i took all mine off and i even took the chrome ring off because i painted them all flat black. what you do is you open the vent and put your fingers in it. hook on and PULLLLLL. thats it just pull. be carful not to rip one of the shades off but you do need some force. and to put it back in jut PUSHHHH. it is all brute force. but they do come out.
What kind of paint did you use? I need to paint mine because the chrome is too reflective when the sun is behind the car, and its near blinding...bad for long drives.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4point0stang
What kind of paint did you use? I need to paint mine because the chrome is too reflective when the sun is behind the car, and its near blinding...bad for long drives.
the paint i used was ( krylon fusion paint for plastics ) i would recommend using a gloss black not flat. they turned out amazing, just put a light sanding on them with a high grit paper. they turn out flawless!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Roush guage vent pod instructions state - pull!!!!!!

Last edited by 157dB; 11-20-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by 4point0stang
Why not just tint your windows?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Why not just tint your windows?
i have my windows tinted at 15% (20% darker then legal limit) and they still blinded me.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

lol ya its a cool mod to add a little custom touch to the interior, id say paint them

Quick Reply: Do vent covers come off