Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DIY Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

Hood has been acquired, I am going over to my shop on monday to start making the mold. I will be starting with Styrofoam then casting it in plaster. Once the plaster negative is made I will sand it with fine grit sand paper. It will be a week or two after that is done before I will be fiberglassing. But I will post pics as the process continues. First pics up monday hopefully. Any additional thoughts or ideas would be awesome.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I am tuning in, I wanna see if this can be done
Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

It takes an extraordinary amount of patience when you are laying glass. I've been working on my fiberglass sub enclosures for a long time now. Patience will be the key to a successful scoop for you.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

Pictures attached. I am almost done with my mold for my hood scoop, all that is left is to shape the bottom of the mold to fit the hood itself and to sand it with some fine grit sand paper. Then a light coat of bondo with more sanding for a very smooth finish. After that mold is done I will cast it in plaster, sand the plaster mold very finely. Once that is done I can possibly gelcoat then fiberglass. Unsure of how to gelcoat it or if that is necessary.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Scoops-img_0318.jpg   DIY Scoops-img_0319.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

kind of looks like the boss scoop are you going to angle the sides any
Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 PM
rampant racing
1st Gear Member

you have to wax the hell out of it about 7-10 coats.then polish the hell out of it so it will come out the mold.then you can spray or brush on the gelcoat.keep all forms of silicone away from anything to do with the mold or layup process.then you can layup the glass and roll out all the air bubbles.and let it dry .then try to remove the part.wooden wedges work great for this.tap alot of them around the seam and work at it gently.if that fails hit it hard with a huge hammer hundreds of time till it's smashed on the floor in bits....... wait a minute that's me.lol take your time you'll be fine.fyi the foam part you made is called the plug.you make the mold from the plug.then make the part from the mold.easy peasy.yea right! now the fun begins.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

yea going for the boss style, but with my own dimension and touch. I am going to be angling the sides and rounding it off a bit, hopefully I can get back into my shop on wednesday to finish up the plug. My biggest issue right now is getting the base of the plug to fit onto the hood flush, that's my wednesday project along with the rounding off. Thanks for the fiberglassing tips, do you know where I might be able to get a gelcoat that could be brushed on?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
rampant racing
1st Gear Member

try a fiberglass boat manufacturer if there is one near you.you need to get the proper wax aswell.you can look on the net for fiberglassing videos.maybe youtube has some.instead of plaster why not make your mold out of fiberglass aswell? then you can reuse it to make more if you wanted to.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:52 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

If i put bondo on the plug would that keep the fiberglass from eating through my styrofoam plug, because I know that fiberglass will eat straight through styrofoam. Other than that little problem, the fiberglass mold sounds like a better idea than plaster. Thanks

Last edited by bmasek89; 12-15-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

mad props to you dude for doing this when all the dont do it, +1, +2 folks said not to...

Quick Reply: DIY Scoops