Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is this CAI and Tune worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

You should find out how much it would cost for them to custom tune your car with the CAI. It will be more, but will be worth it totally.

Mileage can go up a little, but with me.. mine dropped because there was so much more power available
Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
You should find out how much it would cost for them to custom tune your car with the CAI. It will be more, but will be worth it totally.

Mileage can go up a little, but with me.. mine dropped because there was so much more power available

The package description is as follows;

This package comes with a complete JLT Cold Air Intake kit with Surrounded Heat Shield (part# CAI-FMV6-0509), the SCT X-3 Power Flash SF Ford Tuner (see below) loaded with 3 performance tunes (87,91 & 93 octane) for JLT intake.

Wouldn't those tunes work for my car?

Last edited by 07 Stang; 11-25-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Yea the tunes will work perfectly, but if you have a custom tuning shop near you, they can hook your car up to the dyno and write your own custom tune for you. (more expensive)

But sticking with the tunes in that kit will work perfectly.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Regarding mileage, a few have reported a minor increase (maybe 1-2 MPG), some no change and others a slight drop (again, maybe 1-2 MPG). I personally saw anything from no change to about 1-2 MPG drop but I have to admit, my right foot got heavier after the combo.

I find it funny, however, that people will go out and spend in the neighborhood of $600 for a CAI & tune and then cross their fingers for a 1 or 2 MPG improvement. Even if you did see 2 MPG better, the break-even would be in HOW many years? We're silly people...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I saw a bigger increase in gas mileage by replacing my driveshaft to an aluminum driveshaft.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Regarding mileage, a few have reported a minor increase (maybe 1-2 MPG), some no change and others a slight drop (again, maybe 1-2 MPG). I personally saw anything from no change to about 1-2 MPG drop but I have to admit, my right foot got heavier after the combo.

I find it funny, however, that people will go out and spend in the neighborhood of $600 for a CAI & tune and then cross their fingers for a 1 or 2 MPG improvement. Even if you did see 2 MPG better, the break-even would be in HOW many years? We're silly people...
Oh I don't want to buy a CAI/Tune for better gas mileage, I just don't want it to effect what I am currently getting. I mean, I don't want to spend almost $600 and get pour gas mileage to boot.
I just want to wake up the car and have it respond like it's supposed to.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I saw a bigger increase in gas mileage by replacing my driveshaft to an aluminum driveshaft.
See, that is on my list of mods too.
I tell ya, since I've joined this forum I've spent more on my car than I thought I ever would.....but in a good way.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i didnt notice mpg going up after the driveshaft, although i'm sure it helped some in that catergory, but i did notice the very nice upgrade in launching performance ... worthy mod, no doubt.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 AM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

I didn't put a cai on my car until I had 50k on it BIG MISTAKE. dont what! you will not beleave the dif. My gas mileage has gone down, do to heavier right foot also. Have fun.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:47 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stoneblue
I didn't put a cai on my car until I had 50k on it BIG MISTAKE. dont what! you will not beleave the dif. My gas mileage has gone down, do to heavier right foot also. Have fun.
See my problem is I really don't drive it enough. I don't drive it on rainy days and most of the time I drive one of my other 3 cars.
I only have 6700 miles on it, but I'm sure if I do get the CAI/Tune it would make my driving experience more pleasurable.

Quick Reply: Is this CAI and Tune worth it?