Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BBK cai(no tune) for v6.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 PM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

Talking BBK cai(no tune) for v6.

Sup fellas, anybody has any experience with this cai? I was interested in it since it doesn't require a tune! Im reluctant to do C&L cai/tuner combo cuz I dont wanna void my warranty since it was my #1 selling point for buying this baby in the 1st place. Do you guys think its worth it or waste of money?? The guys in my dealer even frown on exhaust systems n tell me that they dont need proof to void ur warranty is written in the bylaws? im like wtf??(i was trying to get the frpp exhaust froom them n installed there. anyways back to topic, what you guys think! if its a waste a money I may just risk the whole void the warranty thing....Thanx in advance
Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Find another dealer or sell the car. One of the top reasons for buying a Stang is it's abilitiy to be modded. And if you had used the search feature you'd have found dozens of threads indicating that the dealer can NOT void your warranty for aftermarket parts unless he can prove the part caused the problem. And only then can he deny warranty work for that specific issue. I can't believe what a bunch of wusses people are that keep bringing this up. Find a delaer that is cool with mods. Quite a few have no issues with whatever you do to your car. But quite a few will also intimidate the weak.

A non-tune required CAI is about useless. The performance gains are negligible and most people can't feel it in the butt dyno. This is another topic where a search will show that 99% of the forum will tell you to do the CAI & tune or don't bother.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
4LSlvr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gipht1
Sup fellas, anybody has any experience with this cai? I was interested in it since it doesn't require a tune! Im reluctant to do C&L cai/tuner combo cuz I dont wanna void my warranty since it was my #1 selling point for buying this baby in the 1st place. Do you guys think its worth it or waste of money?? The guys in my dealer even frown on exhaust systems n tell me that they dont need proof to void ur warranty is written in the bylaws? im like wtf??(i was trying to get the frpp exhaust froom them n installed there. anyways back to topic, what you guys think! if its a waste a money I may just risk the whole void the warranty thing....Thanx in advance
if its a FRPP tand installed by an authorized dealer, there is no way it will void the warranty. FRPP has a power package that has a high flow air filter, performance oil filter, tune, and dual exhaust. its a little pricey but if your worried about the warranty thats the way to go. If not, listen to Nuke, find a better dealer.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 PM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

yeah the dudes at the dealer are dying to find some **** in your car to weasel out of doing warranty work! Im holding to see what other exhaust systems come out sometime in the near future if not ima go with the magnaflow. As for the cai I thought maybe this bbk represented good value without a possible headache. Im heavily thinkng of the c&l/x3 combo from bamachips, I hear nothing but great things from them. Just gotte decide which to do first exhaust or the combo
Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
A non-tune required CAI is about useless. The performance gains are negligible and most people can't feel it in the butt dyno. This is another topic where a search will show that 99% of the forum will tell you to do the CAI & tune or don't bother.

Now a tune without a CAI is another story -
Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laterider
Now a tune without a CAI is another story -

A tune without a CAI on a '10 will not quite have the same gain as that on an '05 - '09. The '10s stock tune is already tweaked to provide 15 CRANK HP higher than the '05 - '09s. A CAI to go with the tune is that much more appropriate on a '10 to get the most performance from a tune.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:24 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

A tune without a CAI on a '10 will not quite have the same gain as that on an '05 - '09. The '10s stock tune is already tweaked to provide 15 CRANK HP higher than the '05 - '09s. A CAI to go with the tune is that much more appropriate on a '10 to get the most performance from a tune.
I know it's silly but I really like the appearance of the FRPP CAI on the 05-09's. Oh well, I'm still not certain how much HP there is to gain with a CAI over the stock box. I'm sure the tune can make a big difference.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by douglasland
I know it's silly but I really like the appearance of the FRPP CAI on the 05-09's. Oh well, I'm still not certain how much HP there is to gain with a CAI over the stock box. I'm sure the tune can make a big difference.
It's a tough call at this point with the smaller amount of dyno info on '10s with and w/o CAI & tunes alone. But my best guess is that, on a '10, adding the CAI to a GOOD aftermarket tune will add at least 5 RWHP; probably in the 5-10 RWHP range. With the '10s, the percentage of the power add from the CAI vs. the tune is higher than with the '05-'09s.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Nuke, thats true on the GT, but I thought there were no changes to the V6 4.0L, still rated by ford at 210hp for 2010. For the OP I was trying to tell him that if he had to choose based on $$s, go with a tune over the BBK intake.
For me the tune only on the V6 has been an eye opener, however now I have a C&L on the way, LOL..

OP - everyone's said it before a Combo tune/CAI is the best bang for the buck...

douglasland, I was really thinking I wanted to get the FRPP CAI for my 09 V6, mainly cause I thought it looked cool, but after talking with several tune vendors they said they could tune for it as well (beyond the FORD tune), but it just can't add as much power as say a CAI from C&L. They said it just doesn't flow as well - so I finally decided to go C&L...
Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laterider
Nuke, thats true on the GT, but I thought there were no changes to the V6 4.0L, still rated by ford at 210hp for 2010. For the OP I was trying to tell him that if he had to choose based on $$s, go with a tune over the BBK intake.
For me the tune only on the V6 has been an eye opener, however now I have a C&L on the way, LOL..

OP - everyone's said it before a Combo tune/CAI is the best bang for the buck......
Oops. My bad. I tend to have tunnel vision regarding the GT...

Quick Reply: BBK cai(no tune) for v6.