Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

nub mustang owner here

Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 PM
purple_haze

Default nub mustang owner here

Hi guys,

I'm David from the St. Louis Area and i just got a 2006 mustang v6 convertible. I got a good deal from my aunt for this ride with 65k miles. Looking at the the trunk the plastic trunk thing is popped out and apparently the screw area is warped.. is this common? I also have a problem with my passenger seat levers in the back which popped off. Is it that bad or is my little cousins too rough with the car. Besides that i have a couple abrasions/holes on the soft top. is there a good patch for these? These little nuisances are kind of getting to me and i need to fix them up so any suggestions fellow stangers.

I was also wondering if i need to drop my car if i install 17 or 18 inch bullitt wheels?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:15 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by purple_haze
Hi guys,

I'm David from the St. Louis Area and i just got a 2006 mustang v6 convertible. I got a good deal from my aunt for this ride with 65k miles. Looking at the the trunk the plastic trunk thing is popped out and apparently the screw area is warped.. is this common? I also have a problem with my passenger seat levers in the back which popped off. Is it that bad or is my little cousins too rough with the car. Besides that i have a couple abrasions/holes on the soft top. is there a good patch for these? These little nuisances are kind of getting to me and i need to fix them up so any suggestions fellow stangers.

I was also wondering if i need to drop my car if i install 17 or 18 inch bullitt wheels?
Welcome & congrats on the new car!
Not sure what piece your talking about in the trunk or what the problem with it is, a pic would help.
The seat back releases are prone to failure. Not that cheap to replace either. I think there is a billet replacement in the works but haven't heard any update on it myself.
No need to drop the car however you should install the appropriate steering travel limiters for the wheels you choose. They prevent the wider wheels from hitting the suspension when going into full lock left or right. Its normally only a minor issue. Also, with the 18" you will most likely have clearance issues with the brake cailiper bracket scraping against the back of the wheel. The fix is to upgrade to GT brake rotors & caliper brackets (the calipers are the same & don't need replacing). On a small percentage of cars they will clear but most all do hit. I was able to just grind down the bracket a touch and gain the need clearance before I swapped over to the GT set up. Again this is only the 18's 17 's are fine.
Don't know about the top.
Use the search tool for these and any other questions as there is a wealth of info that has been discussed over the years on the site.
Good luck & happy modding!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Also, with the 18" you will most likely have clearance issues with the brake cailiper bracket scraping against the back of the wheel.
Is this a Bullit style wheel specific issue? I was thinking of getting those too. Right now I have the GT500 style wheel 18 x 9.5. No brake clearance issues. Even at the track.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crazyassracer
Is this a Bullit style wheel specific issue? I was thinking of getting those too. Right now I have the GT500 style wheel 18 x 9.5. No brake clearance issues. Even at the track.
I'm only aware of the issue w/ the 18" Bullitts. I should add that it probably would only take an 1/8" spacer to get the needed clearance.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Hi guys,

I'm David from the St. Louis Area and i just got a 2006 mustang v6 convertible. I got a good deal from my aunt for this ride with 65k miles. Looking at the the trunk the plastic trunk thing is popped out and apparently the screw area is warped.. is this common? I also have a problem with my passenger seat levers in the back which popped off. Is it that bad or is my little cousins too rough with the car.
the seat back levers are junk. Billet pieces are cheaper than buying another factory product that will only breal again

Besides that i have a couple abrasions/holes on the soft top. is there a good patch for these? These little nuisances are kind of getting to me and i need to fix them up so any suggestions fellow stangers.
abrasions or holes ? Neither can be patched without looking bad. If it's an abrasion you can probably treat it with something to lessen the look, but if it's a hole you may be able to have a good upholstery shop sew it/glue it/repair it.

no need to lower a car for bigger wheels. Alot of the V6's came with the pony pkg with have 17" Bullitt wheels. Your front brakes will look tiny if you go to a bigger wheel. But you can buy GT rotors and they'll go right on. You'll need the GT caliper mounts but you can keep your existing calipers, you don't even have to pull the brake hoses or bleed the system afterwards.

Look around locally for someone with a GT that has swapped in an aftermarket suspension and brake kit. Then you'll have GT brakes and sway bars. Your base V6 doesn't have a rear sway bar. I see them for sale all the time for a hundred or two. I put GT brakes and sway bars on my wife's V6 pony for less than $100. But a vert takes a vert-only sway bar, so beware.

Lowering springs will make your car look better and handle better. But if you lower it more than an inch or so you'll need an adjustable panhard bar in the back and depending on how low you go in the front you'll need adjustable strut mounts or replacement camber bolts to be able to get the front end aligned.

Good luck with your project ! You have a sweet ride, now let the modding madness begin !!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
dopedc
1st Gear Member

Hi guys,

yea i can relate to the trunk they made the trunk trash in my option but i still haven't fixed mine yet i think that's what im going to go do today.. the top part where the light is keeps falling down when i close the trunk and it made the light stay on all the time and melted the plastic all in my trunk and **** lol but if u find any easy way with the trunk let me know
Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. I also suggest you get familiar with the content of the stickies in the forum and sub forums and use the search feature. If there's an issue with your Stang, 99.99% chance is that it's been discussed and resolved.

So, what mods are you planning and how deep are your pockets?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:14 PM
purple_haze

thanks for the info guys. I'm kind strapped for cash right now i'll probably plan on doing these things once summer hits. I'm trying to finish school and apply for grad school at the moment.

I got the car from my aunt for 8 thousand, which i think is a steal. Since the mustang is white i'm thinking about blacking out the rear and front headlights. The first order of business is probably doing those minor repairs such as the bullitt passenger door levers. The cheapest i found are 50 dollars is there anything cheaper than that?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Look into my eyes... You're getting sleepy... sleepy...

Repeat after me "I need a CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed or Bama, I need a CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed or Bama,I need a CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed or Bama..."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nub mustang owner here