Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Observations on Camaro VS Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I have driven the Camaro. The biggest thing I noticed is that the materials are CHEAP and I do mean CHEAP. Typical GM Interior that feels like it is made by Fisher Price.

The car hauls *** without a doubt. But with the small windows, lack of room and Fisher Price interior I was not impressed.

The OP comments about the rear end bouncing around - I cannot recall where I read it or watched it, but a review of the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger in a magazine or youtube rag (cannot recall which) made a comment about the Camaro being unsettled in the rear over bumps. I will try to find it and post it up.

Out....
Old 12-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

I've not driven one, but I've sat in one - and you're right - the interior feels cheap. Not a huge fan of the radio control ***** either. Remind me of a cheap 90's stereo from Wal Mart.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I know what you mean about not being able to drive them. I remember when the Priuses came out and they had the same policy of buying without driving. You are basically buying a car from a brochure. That may work for a watch or a phone but not for a car. To make matters worse they expect you to pay up and let the car sit there, Haha, that is a joke and a half.

I went to see the Camaro back in April when it came out, before I got my Mustang because the wife insisted I should see it to make an informed decision. Well, I agree with everything negative that you guys have said. Cramped, blind spots, crappy materials, can't see over the hood (and I am 6',1"), the back seat is more of a joke than ours, etc. It didn't make sense that I would be paying more and getting less. The Mustang was a really good looking, comfortable (within reason), great driving car for a much better price.

No offense intended to any women when I said it was a blonde driving it, I was just stating a fact. The funny thing was I didn't know it was a Camaro as I was driving up to it. It was a dark gray type color and I couldn't make out the lines from far away. So I'm driving around 70, and I keep getting closer, and closer, and she was probably going like 60. So I thought it must be some old geezer driving it. When I finally got close enough and had no more room to go, she probably saw me in the rear view and she sped up. I got the feeling she wanted to show me she had more power, but I wasn't about to do any racing (not in morning traffic).
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

I've not driven one yet, but I've seen quite a few. They are nice looking cars. Apparently they've oultsold the Mustang every month since their release. The best way to tell the differnce between a V6 and V8 is the SS badge, or lack thereof. A red SS badge means it has the RS package. The V6 gets a red RS badge with the RS package.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
I got the feeling she wanted to show me she had more power, but I wasn't about to do any racing (not in morning traffic).
blondes are fast... watch out!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Can't say much in the way's of performance since I haven't driven one either. But I can agree the Camaro's look alright from most angles, the rear isn't to great. Makes me feel like I'm being stared down by a tiki or something, which I guess isn't bad compared to all the sh--t the new mustang rear gets lol. But the interior is horrible, ESPECIALLY compared to the mustang. Saw stang interior today with brown leather seats and matching brown leather on the door panel, awesome. The Camaro's inside, on the other hand, looks like it was designed by Darth Vader with his eyes closed
Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
I test drove the Camero RS (V6) and the Camero SS2 (V8) last weekend as my stepdad is looking to buy either a camero or a vette...

I can tell you the following.... Every Camaro made has dual exhaust, v6 and v8. The V8 Exhaust tips are larger than the v6. You can tell a automatic from a manual by the emblems on the car. Red emblems=automatic, white=manual. The v6 has plenty of power, sadly, much more than our v6's.. its not even close. The v8 will snap your neck and plant your firmly in your seat...its the same engine that is put in the base corvette. The v6 sounds like crap when idling as it has the "direct injection" engine that is put in the Catilac.. it ticks like your watch constantly, never stopping, and its considered "normal. When revved, the v6 sounds like a nissan z to me. The v8 would sound awesome with some aftermarket exhaust... both cars have manual shifting on the steering wheel, meaning you can put in in drive and just go, or put it in manual and shift clutchlessly on the steering wheel. both cars have abs and trac-loc, boston accoustic sound systems, 19 or 20 inch wheels, ss has bremo brakes that stop on a dime, the SS has a larger radiator grille on the front which you can tell is different from the v6. so you can tell the difference on a v6 and a v8 from the front or the rear. The SS leather seats are the finest leather seats i have ever sat in... completely amazing quality, the cloth seats are crappy cloth seats... the trucks have much more room than our cars, you are sitting much lower in the seat and can barely see over the hood in the camaro. the side mirrors are cool looking in the camaro, the dash isnt that impressive, the steering wheel isnt quite as ugly in person, but not attractice to say the least... the back seat of the camaro is about the same as the mustang... the salesman was very uncomfortable in the back...which was kinda nice
Camaro or Vette? Easy, Vette.

Last edited by X3xMONGOOSEx3X; 12-10-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:24 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
... the salesman was very uncomfortable in the back...which was kinda nice

Best thing I have read tonight!!! Effing hilarious!!!

Until they start selling them for under MSRP......foh-get-about-it!!!! Not worth paying the stupid silly premium. I would rather have a white CSGT!!!

patrick

Last edited by 808muscle; 12-10-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I havent driven one either, but they have atleast two of them on the lots around here at all times, its funny, the Ford place might have one stang in stock at all times, last i seen they didnt have but one in the show room so who is selling, you ask me. Now as for not driving a car I would never ever do that, and if I somehow bought it, its mine, dealer policy or not, i am driving my car home, they dont own it anymore so they cant tell me what to do with it.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Camaro-FUGLY
Camaro-rebodied Holden (Australian GM, just like ex-GTO)
Camaro 422 hp V8 0-60 4.8 seconds. Mustang 315 hp V8 0-60 4.9 seconds
Camaro 4000+ pounds Mustang 3400
Camaro GM (government motors) Ford, no bail out AND made a profit
Camaro vs Challenger vs Camaro shoot out, winner-Mustang
Camaro-FUGLY (did I say that already ?)

Quick Reply: Observations on Camaro VS Mustang