Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Observations on Camaro VS Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Motor Trend dogged the interior of the Camaro and said that the 2010 Mustang was better.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Default I cheated this past weekend... lol...

I had an unexpected work trip to LA this past weekend, the wife was going too and thursday night before we left we decided to sign up for a budget rental car instead of taking shuttles for the weekend. I signed up for a $40 a day focus on line. When I got to budget, we saw three silver camaros out front and we laughed - that will be our ride..lol. Once inside, they said "hey do you want a camaro for $10 more a day?"... well here's my input after having it for 3 days:

1. Exterior - I've had mixed impressions of it since they came out, like it, don't like it, oh the rear could be better - After being around one, up close, for a while - I like it - its different - nice side view, front view, the roof probably didn't need the contour?, the rear end is just fine too. Overall, nice job chevy - and I like the hood view while driving.

2. Interior/controls - my biggest dislike is the guages in your immediate view (speedo, tach), they are just funky numbered, and the guage surrounds just look funky too. Other than this, its all good to me, yea the center arrangement is a little wierd (a/c, radio), but you get used to these controls quick and the nice big ***** for the a/c are actually easy to use. Yea, the styling on the dash is different, but I think sorta cool. The lighting above the body color panels on the doors is cool too. What's weird is:
The menu system between guages, there is a menu button on the Turn Signal stick and a rotary control on the stick as well for moving around the menus - that would take me a while to get used to for sure, just weird, but maybe after time would be easy to use. The problem was, it was left on Trip 2 and it took me a day to find the damn control. Guage lighting intensity - this one was even more fun to get to work, I instantly found the thumbwheel style control on the dash in the normal spot, but rather then just turn it, it rotates either up or down (returns to center position when released) and you have to HOLD it up or down to change the dash intensity, ha this took me almost as long to figure out as the menu system...lol. All I'm saying here is these control are kinda quirky, but I'm sure anyone would get used to them. The friggin seats were damn comfortable, have no idea how the back seat is. This is probably my only oh **** with my stang right now, I have the stock cloth, which as you guys know are okay, but these seats..f$#@..

3. Safety - I thought you sat 'low' in one, for me (short guy) the seat is up high and I actually thought the 'blind spot' thing really didn't seem so blind, I'm drivin on roads I don't know (lots a lanes too), and never seemed to be bothered by it. The side mirrors could be a tad bigger, but they have a different cool shape too. The friggin seats... oh I said that already...

4. Driving experience - Sh$# WHAT is budget doing with SS models... lol. $50 a day.. I was laughing.. Obviously can't compare it to our sixers here, but man, it was power, power in this thing - but like others have said, it runs quiet until I really got on it. Others have said, they don't like the steering wheel, but I found it really cool and I thought the car had a really solid feel. But remember, I drive a v6 stock mustang, so maybe I'm easy to impress. I think words like, solid, tight, and stiff, work pretty well for this ride. I did get a good run on some twistys in the mountains, and the car seemed well balanced with no problems staying my line, body roll...no.... One thing tho - the wife was always with me, so yea I got on it, so I didn't drive it like all of us would want, probably a good thing - I would have hated to call budget, ahh your car is next to a tree - well sort of..lol..

To sum it up on my impression:
Its different, chevys and fords have always had there diffs, some like em, some don't - I like this chevy. I would go so far as to say.. bada$$. But I also love our fords and their uniqueness, they are bada$$, and I would love a GT500, I guess I want one of each..lol... I really would also like to test drive a V6 one too...
Only real negatives to me - change that guage package. A V* camaro is more than I can afford right now...

Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

good review. thanks for renting!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Blasphemy!!!! He's a SELL OUT!!!!! Where's the Spanish Inquisition when you need them!!!!

(Just kidding)
Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

Kinda ruined the old expression.. Drive it like you stole it with

"Drive it like you rented it"
Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

There are 2 things I don't like about the new Camaro.It's too heavy and the speedo is on the left side of the dash .I like the tach on the left and the speedo on the right .Or maybe that's just what I'm used to.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
Blasphemy!!!! He's a SELL OUT!!!!! Where's the Spanish Inquisition when you need them!!!!
Ha, no kidding!!! I do like em!!! At lunch today I had the girls at my fav place wash up my ride (thats always a nice treat...) and was happy cruzin on the way home today - so glad I've got a few mods to juice up my 6 a bit! - If I hadn't done them already, I'd probably be ordering parts/stuff right now..lol...