Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hit a Nice Pothole...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Angry Hit a Nice Pothole...

...and am wondering if I damaged something on the front suspension.

This afternoon I was cruising downhill when I had to abruptly stop. Coming around a bend in the hill, I was fast approaching when ahead was a squad car blocking off the entire road ahead in both directions...the bad weather here managed to knock trees and power lines down across several roads.

As I said, I had to brake hard in order to turn around and in the process, nailed a lovely pothole that shook the entire car. I felt a series of hard clunks in the brake pedal as I hit it. Did the road surface (wet with a crater that rivals those on the moon) trigger the ABS to come on? Or did I break something? The car still handles fine but now I'm worried...I know our cars for as new as they are have their characteristic clunks and bangs when going over bumps.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by satur9poet

This afternoon I was cruising downhill when I had to abruptly stop. Coming around a bend in the hill, I was fast approaching when ahead was a squad car blocking off the entire road ahead in both directions...the bad weather here managed to knock trees and power lines down across several roads.

As I said, I had to brake hard in order to turn around and in the process, nailed a lovely pothole that shook the entire car. I felt a series of hard clunks in the brake pedal as I hit it. Did the road surface (wet with a crater that rivals those on the moon) trigger the ABS to come on? Or did I break something? The car still handles fine but now I'm worried...I know our cars for as new as they are have their characteristic clunks and bangs when going over bumps.
Sounds like just the ABS triggering. That's not to say you couldn't have damaged something as well of course. Best bet would be to get the alignment checked soon at least.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:57 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I ran over a HUGE pot hole right outside the Wendy's drive thru (before my car was sent to the shop) and I was pissed. That kind of crap is definitely not good. Your stang should be durable to handle pot holes.. but I can't tell you for sure. Just keep an eye on it and if anything seems out of the ordinary or if you're ride feels much harder.

Oh that reminds me, I did loose a left shock shortly after I had purchased my stang back in July.. by going over a series of hard bumps while turning. It was a pre-owned though with 30,000+ miles on it, so it was probably due. If you do have problems and is still covered by warranty, Ford should be able to help you out. Mine was still under warranty and I had to pay 0 out of the pocket. I was pretty pleased with the service. Just didn't have a car for the day.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by satur9poet

ABS activation is entirely possible and quite likely in the circumstance that you describe. Having the pedal kick back at you is normal, and perhaps even more likely over pavement that's rough enough to momentarily bounce one or more of your tires up by enough to partially/mostly "unload" them.

Check your tires and wheels for evidence of impact damage, scuffing, or air loss.

Pay particular attention for things like the steering wheel not being centered or any tendency to drift to one side that wasn't present before this incident.

Norm
Old 12-25-2009, 08:12 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
ABS activation is entirely possible and quite likely in the circumstance that you describe. Having the pedal kick back at you is normal, and perhaps even more likely over pavement that's rough enough to momentarily bounce one or more of your tires up by enough to partially/mostly "unload" them.

Check your tires and wheels for evidence of impact damage, scuffing, or air loss.

Pay particular attention for things like the steering wheel not being centered or any tendency to drift to one side that wasn't present before this incident.

Norm
Yeah, the pedal felt like it was trying to kick my foot off of it. I suspected an ABS event, but wasn't sure if a hard bump would trigger it and I didn't skid or anything. A visual inspection of the rims and tires showed nothing, fortunately. I doubt I knocked the car out of alignment but I know for sure I'll need one come spring. The roads here are horrendous pretty much year round.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:15 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Well at least you live in an area where the weather beats the crap out of the roads. The roads here in sunny So Cal are horrendous also & full of pot holes and all we get is sun 300 days a year. The difference is our state government steals the road repair money and uses it for their pet projects.

As for your car, I doubt there was any damage. They are strong enough to take a small beating. Be happy you don't have one of those wagon wheel 20" rims, or bigger cause they do damage more easily. Having more rubber between you and the road means your car wont suffer as badly. The rubber absorbs the shock, even though you will feel it like it was really bad.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 AM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

LOL @ "wagon wheels"! That's the main reason why I never invested in huge rims: no rubber between you and the hole-y road!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 PM
chrisverneuil19
1st Gear Member

With these stangs the abs is fantastic. Mine kicks on a lot for the area not that its rainy and cold. Ive had mine kick on for less that what urs kicked on for. The durabiltiy IDK. Two accidents in two months, One with a curb at low speed and a acura TSX. Both have done a HUGE number on my stang. I think they coulda done some better enginerring but it dont matter.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Chris - if the ABS is kicking in as much as you suggest, either (1) something is "off" in its calibration, (2) you're running front and rear tires of significantly different diameter, (3) either the front tires or the rear tires are much more worn out than the tires on the other end, or (4) you're mostly just stomping on the brake pedal when you have to stop.

(1) you'll probably have to bring it in.

(2) you'll just have to learn how to live with it until you match front and rear tire sizes better.

(3) replace any almost-bald tires

(4) learn to squeeze into the brakes rather than stomp on them. Even if it means that you have to leave a little more following distance. If your ABS ever goes offline and you've never learned how to control your braking with your own foot pressure, you could be in for a really bad day.

ABS is supposed to be a safety net, not the normal operating procedure for your brakes.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-30-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 AM
chrisverneuil19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Chris - if the ABS is kicking in as much as you suggest, either (1) something is "off" in its calibration, (2) you're running front and rear tires of significantly different diameter, (3) either the front tires or the rear tires are much more worn out than the tires on the other end, or (4) you're mostly just stomping on the brake pedal when you have to stop.

(1) you'll probably have to bring it in.

(2) you'll just have to learn how to live with it until you match front and rear tire sizes better.

(3) replace any almost-bald tires

(4) learn to squeeze into the brakes rather than stomp on them. Even if it means that you have to leave a little more following distance. If your ABS ever goes offline and you've never learned how to control your braking with your own foot pressure, you could be in for a really bad day.

ABS is supposed to be a safety net, not the normal operating procedure for your brakes.

Norm
Thanks for the suggestions. All tire are the same. 255/50r17 Falken Ziex STZ's they all have more 70% tread left. You would have to see the area that I drive to understand. The roads around baltimore SUCK. And I think the tires just hate me and rain. I do drive conservativly. Least when its nice out. the roads are unevan, Potholes everywhere, And loose gravel all over also, And they get very slippery when it rains also.

Quick Reply: Hit a Nice Pothole...