Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What Type of Fuel to Use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bfeels
When i order my tuner do i have to tell them what type of fuel i am running on or does it not matter?
Depending on who you're ordering the tunes from and what types of tunes they write, they'll need to know what your mods are (if any) and what octane tunes you want. Be aware that even the 87 custom tune kicks azz over the stock 87 tune. The octanes you select should be what's available in your area and where you travel. And you MUST run an octane fuel equal to or higher than the octane tune. For example, you can run 89 or higher octane with an 89 tune but don't try to run a 91 tune on 89 or 87 octane.

I keep the tuner in my trunk since I run an 89 octane tune and I travel a lot. I've had a few instances where I was near-empty and couldn't get anything besides 87 octane. I loaded the 87 tune and was back on the road in minutes.

Last edited by Nuke; 01-13-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

The tech at my dealership told me NOT to run anything higher octane than 87. The injectors are computer tuned to run that octane and the V6 will not retune itself if you put a higher octane gasoline in the thank. The higher octane may even create premature wear and tear on the emission system. Also, higher octane fuels don't have more detergents than lower octane fules from the same company. Just buy a quality rated 87 octane and you'll be fine. Anything else wastes money on the V6. Of course, all that changes if you get a special tune.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

just run the 87, unless tuned. Then run whatever octane fuel your tune is written for. When ordering tunes, you usually get 3 tunes. Get one for the 87, and 1 or 2 for the premium. That way, as mentioned, if traveling and you need to switch fuels you can. Or if you're short on cash you can switch.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
pkwest
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
I hope I'm not fanning flames on a bad myth, but I do notice an MPG improvement if I fill up with 89 instead of 87. Maybe another 20 miles to the tank or so. I've never used 91 so I'm not sure if there's another jump.
Your engine is probably pulling timing because of detonation with 87. Are you running a stock tune?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:01 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have never used Seafoam or any other type of gas additives and haven't had any problems with using BP's regular gas. I do get regular oil changes and other maintenance done on a regular schedule.
Once in a while I'll use either Sam's Club or Costco gas and the car still runs fine.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Whether its true or not, I've always been told to try to use fuel from the same place. Better for your car.
I always run 91 no elthenol, I am tuned for the 91 octane as well. I have heard a lot of reveiws saying ethenol isn't great for your engine.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
Whether its true or not, I've always been told to try to use fuel from the same place. Better for your car.
I always run 91 no elthenol, I am tuned for the 91 octane as well. I have heard a lot of reveiws saying ethenol isn't great for your engine.
Yeah but what are going to do when all the gas stations you normally get gas from uses 10% Ethanol?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Yeah but what are going to do when all the gas stations you normally get gas from uses 10% Ethanol?
Every gas station around here is 10%. There are only 2 or 3 stations localy that offer ethenol free. It costs a little more but it will be available for a long time. Ethenol free is recommended for recreational equipment, boats, rvs, and things like that.

The added alcohol in ethenol gas supposidly dries out seals, O rings, gaskets, and hoses faster than straight gas. My tune isn't written specifically for ethenol free, so I can use it if I choose. I do think that my car runs better on ethenol free though.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

For the past few years, with these higher tech engines with electroinics, I strickly use TIER ONE gasoline and if manual calls for 87 Octane usage, that is what I fill up with. I also throw in a can of Sea Foam every 25,000 miles or so. Works for me with no engine performance issues with our vehicles and know my injectors and valves will always be spotless. I always keep a copy of Tier One gas manufactures in our glove boxes.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pkwest
Your engine is probably pulling timing because of detonation with 87. Are you running a stock tune?
uh yes lol i wish I had seen this response earlier. Anyone else have any input on my engine pulling timing? Sounds like something I should be aware of

Quick Reply: What Type of Fuel to Use?