Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sticking Throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 AM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

Default Sticking Throttle?

I had something interesting happen to my 2007 4.0. I was leaving my apartment with the TCS turned off and decided it was the perfect conditions for a burnout, and it turns out I was right. Only problem was, when I took my foot off the pedal my car didn't stop. I had to peel out of the parking lot, down across a busy intersection, and onto a side street before I managed to think enough to at least pull the e-brake. I had my foot slammed on the break, and the car just kept powering through it. I've never had this happen to me before, so I didn't think to just grab the key to turn the car off, and managed to be lucky enough to skip traffic and keep control. Obviously my first guess is an electrical issue that made the throttle stick since there isn't an actual cable like I'm used to. No codes came with the issue, either. I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at, but I still was wondering if anyone here has had or has heard of similar problems?

P.S. I filled the gas tank up later that day and it said it was only about 5/8ths full, so I kept filling. Later on, the gauge read over full. Maybe I have a short somewhere? I've nicknamed the car Christine after the '83 Stephen King movie.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

If you cannot make it happen and there are no codes I wouldn't expect the dealer to do much. It's difficult to find the cause of a problem that cannot be reproduced. Do not expect the dealer to do a burnout, trying and get the problem to occur.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 AM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

I understand that, but I still want the thing looked at.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 AM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

I found this last night: http://forums.musclemustangfastfords...ing/index.html

Apparently there's a few people that've had the same problem but they didn't get any answers. I know for a fact it wasn't a floor mat keeping the pedal stuck down. Even if I don't figure it out, it's something you guys might want to keep in mind since it's happened to multiple people.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:12 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

My only question is did the pedal physically stick down
or did it fully release with the WOT condition continuing?

The drive by wire has so many electrical safequards against
this from happinging.
It has to be mechanical.
Maybe the previous owner botched the throttle lag mod.

ps
there are 4 modes of gas guage operation

fully understanding the modes clears up 99% of fuel guage problems....

Last edited by 157dB; 01-15-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

You know, when it was happening I didn't think to actually check for things like that. After the fact, I kept thinking about how it could have been the mats, I shouldn't have e-braked and just shifted to neutral or even better just turned the car off, tap the pedal to see if it disengaged. So many things but in the heat of the moment all I could think about was keeping control and braking. If I was a betting man I'd say the pedal released with my foot lifting off of it.

As for the drive by wire: The more complicated you make something, the more chance of error there is, even with safeguards. I work on helicopters and you see stuff like that happening all the time. Something that's supposed to be a safety feature could just complicate a situation even more. Maybe there were phantom signals being shot from something else that ties into the system, like the cruise control? Who knows.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The PCM controls the throttle and cruise controls all internally.
There are so many safeguards, its silly.
The amounts of redundent resistor strips in the throttle control is mindboggling.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

Car's still at the dealership but, surprise surprise, they didn't find anything wrong. Hopefully it was a one time thing and that's the end of it. If nothing else, thanks for responding. Good community you guys got here, I'm glad I could become a part of it.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it wasn't drive-by-wire I'd suggest cleaning the TB and I'd still do that anyway.

My only other thought would be the chance that the cruise control was engaged and attempting to resume to some preset speed but from your description, any cruise preset would have been cleared below 30 mph (i think that's the low speed limit).
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

I'd just started the car too. I was pulling out of my parking lot.
Here's something interesting about this topic: http://www.suddenacceleration.com/

Quick Reply: Sticking Throttle?