Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just Pre-Ordered the 'last' X-Charger X-treme

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Just Pre-Ordered the 'last' X-Charger X-treme

I just got off the phone from Dave @ EE. I was told they had an initial run of 20 and if I ordered I got the last one. Of course that made me jump all over it lol...but I dunno if I made the right choice. The X-Charger X-treme Hi Po kit(2.8" pulley) w/o tuner is $5670.95 + $120 shipping. He broke it down for me...but I can't remember exact numbers. The standard kit is approx. $4070 + 1600 for the IC upgrade for 06+. I believe if you have an 05 the upgrade is only $1500. I think this is the highest priced mainstream kit for the 4.0...I'm not completely sure so don't flame me lol. I mean if you already have one dropping $15-$1600 a year or more after the initial purchase won't hurt as bad...but can't you pick up a turbo AND get it installed for around $6k? I think I'm just experiancing buyers remorse since I never paid almost $6 in cash for anything in my life. At any rate my kit won't be billing/shipping until at least 2/22 due to backordered fuel rails from Ford...which is fine by me since I should be getting my tax refund direct deposited into my account on 2/5(barring any interference from uncle sammy). He also said they should have the parts for more units in about 30 days or so.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i take it the initial "small" run is insurance for a larger future run?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
i take it the initial "small" run is insurance for a larger future run?
Pretty much guaranteed. Having castings made, parts machined, etc costs a pretty penny, and I'm sure Dave wanted to be conservative with the initial parts order until demand was proven. Lots of people talk a good game, "Boy, I'll buy that as soon as it's available" but plunking down the cash is a whole 'nother thing.

Topless Stang: That twinge of buyer's remorse is pretty much built into any large purchase, I wouldn't let it play with you. The first time you nail the gas after the install, you'll be far more worried about whether your face is going to be permanently stuck in a gleeful/manical ear-to-ear grin than about the price tag.

I'm by no stretch a "rich" guy. I scrimp, save and carefully debate EVERY nickel I can scrape together to work on my car. I will honestly state adding the "X" was the best thing I've done on it, with no doubt whatsover, and I haven't regretted it for a single second since that first post-install turn of the key...

Oh, and Congrats!!!! Welcome to the X-Men

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 01-27-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Paul is right, I would not worry at all, plus there is something to special when you install it yourself. You pop the hood and people go "woah" and they ask.. "did you install it?" and you can proudly say... YES I DID with a big ol smile
Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Pretty much guaranteed. Having castings made, parts machined, etc costs a pretty penny, and I'm sure Dave wanted to be conservative with the initial parts order until demand was proven. Lots of people talk a good game, "Boy, I'll buy that as soon as it's available" but plunking down the cash is a whole 'nother thing.

Topless Stang: That twinge of buyer's remorse is pretty much built into any large purchase, I wouldn't let it play with you. The first time you nail the gas after the install, you'll be far more worried about whether your face is going to be permanently stuck in a gleeful/manical ear-to-ear grin than about the price tag.

I'm by no stretch a "rich" guy. I scrimp, save and carefully debate EVERY nickel I can scrape together to work on my car. I will honestly state adding the "X" was the best thing I've done on it, with no doubt whatsover, and I haven't regretted it for a single second since that first post-install turn of the key...

Oh, and Congrats!!!! Welcome to the X-Men
Thanks for the kind words Torch...I can't count how many times I watched your youtube vids...I can't wait to have my top down and hear that whine!! On another note do you have a mini write up or walkthru on how you fab'd up that custom intake? I'm in love with your engine bay! As far as $$ goes I'm by no means rich either...and if it wasn't for the decent tax return and understanding girlfriend I have I would never have became one of the 'X-Men'. While I'll have it 'hopefully' by the end of March I probably won't be installing until much later. I still have to come up with the cash for a new drive shaft, headers & exhaust prior to install. I also plan on swapping in an 8.8" rear...but that will probably come later in the year. When I get my end of fiscal year bonus from work in Late Feb/early March I'll be purchasing the GT500 Conversion kit...is there a name for that club too?

On a side note does anyone have recommendations for supporting mods that would help the 'X' out? I was thinking of a BBK throttle body, Pypes or BBK Shorty Headers, Dual Exhaust Setup(Prochamber & Boomtubes(for sound)). Outside of building up my engine is there anything else I can do?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Damn Top, I could only imagine how your Pony will look in the next year I only say that cause I remember you posting about your Roush spoiler install a few months ago.

One of my DREAMS is to have a supercharger or turbocharger in my six. Whenever I see or hear of someone getting one for there six, I can't help but smile.

Congrats on the purchase! And remember, you only live once. Don't let that 'buyer's remorse' **** with you
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on your X-treme

I get the buyer's remorse thing too. I have to tell myself that I work hard, I save my money, I don't waste it on lots of luxuries, and that I deserve something nice for myself one in a while.

You don't really have to get a bunch of other stuff to go with your X-treme. Driveshaft is nice, but it's not like you're going to break your stock one. The 2005 Mustangs had the driveshafts with the staked u-joints, but if you have the c-clipped ones, you're ok.

Dual exhaust will help your setup breathe better, but it's not like you're going to kill your HP without one.

Headers are nice, but you don't get much performance for the money. I only got a set because they were super cheap on a clearance.

Rear lower control arms would be nice for controlling wheel hop, but not necessary unless you're flooring it from a standstill all the time.

If you upgrade your throttle body, check out the Zabtek. They flow like 800 cfm. The stock one flows almost 700 cfm. Some people had problems with the BBK. But really, people are running 800cfm carbs on 427 stroker small blocks. How much throttle body do you need?

If I was on a budget, and not going to the strip all the time, I'd get a dual exhaust and call it good.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
JimC

Congratulations - you must have been the one on the phone with Dave when I called earlier to order my upgrade! I'm on the list for the next run because he said #20 had just sold (would have been nice to have the #20 Extreme kit to upgrade my #020 Xcharger).
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Congratulations - you must have been the one on the phone with Dave when I called earlier to order my upgrade! I'm on the list for the next run because he said #20 had just sold (would have been nice to have the #20 Extreme kit to upgrade my #020 Xcharger).
*Memo to self: Challenge Jim to a race between the delivery of the first Xtreme batch and the second*
Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

I got my pre-order in about two weeks ago. I've been fighting the remorse bug too. But as they've already said, after you install it yourself, and punch the pedal I think we'll leave that gremlin in the burnt pony rubber!

As far as extra supporting mods to the X, I'm sticking with single exhaust for a while. I'd like to get Boost, A/F ratio, and an Interceptor gauge next, but even those will wait for a few months after I install the X-Xtreem.

For many of us the Xcharger is the single biggest ($$$ & HP) improvement we'll do to our cars. Enjoy the heck out of it, and add the other things as you can. That's my plan anyway. Good luck to all of us on our upcoming installs!!

Quick Reply: Just Pre-Ordered the 'last' X-Charger X-treme