Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Fog lights on 07 v6 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM
MustangMike696

Default GT Fog lights on 07 v6 mustang

Question: I installed GT Fog lights on my 07 v6 mustang, well the fog lights only seem to come on when my high beams are on. Anyway I can switch it to where I can use them with low beams and if theres a switch I can get?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

You have to get a new light switch to be able to run the fogs. If you didn't have the pony pkg before you added these fogs, then you didn't have the fogs built into your light switch. Get the light switch with the fog switch built in and you will be good to go.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
MustangMike696

is that all i need to do? I wouldn't have to mess with the wiring or anything?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-h...itch-0509.html
Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I believe ALL Mustangs regardless of model have the wiring for the fogs already installed and just hanging by the bumpers. If you tie into that wiring to hook up your lights, and replace the headlight switch, then the answer is No, you don't need to mess with the wiring.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

It depends on which of the hundreds of
different ways that the installer used.
Anything is possable.
Do you feel up to it?
Wiring wise, that is.
I got schematics of all sorts of wiring schemes.

One needs to know how it was originally wired to
answer your question.
Did the installer put an updated fog light wiring scheme
in the glovebox by chance?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:02 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

To throw a curveball at this thread, how would DRLs come into play if I wanted to add GT fogs? Would I lose DRL function if I installed the new switch?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

If you wired your fog lights right.....you need only be spliced into the red and white wire in your stock wiring harness under your dash to make your Fogs run properly!...........I just installed mine......

Your Fog lights will come on when your headlights are one..............and they wont get bright when you have high beams on!.

...if you have a Stock switch.......non-pony package or Gt one......just splice the red wire on your switch onto the red/white wire...and you will be all good!

I run a sixer........and I love my Fog lights!.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Yea, I like my fogs too. People get pissed off at me all the time when I run them. They think I have high beams on or something. For some reason Ford lights have always been brighter than other manufacturers.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:45 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
I believe ALL Mustangs regardless of model have the wiring for the fogs already installed and just hanging by the bumpers. If you tie into that wiring to hook up your lights, and replace the headlight switch, then the answer is No, you don't need to mess with the wiring.
W R O N G!
My '05 does not have any wiring for fog lights. All it has is a place in the underhood fuse box for where a relay and fuse can be put in, but they're not connected to anything.
Maybe the newer stangs are wired better for fogs.

To get them wired up and working properly required several modifications.
But I am using a GT stock light switch, with the foglight switch built into it, so pulling out the switch turns on the fogs.

if your SMJ if configured to energize the fog lamps relay, you're halfway there. If not, you can bypass the SMJ and wire the light switch so it energizes the fog lamps relay when the switch turns them on.
With the fog lamp relay getting energized, you then need to run the wires from the underhood box to the fog lamps, unless you already have those wires.

I have a set of fog lamp wires with the connector ends needed to plug into the fuse/relay box from underneath, if someone needs them or just the plugs.

Quick Reply: GT Fog lights on 07 v6 mustang