Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.0L newb, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Default 4.0L newb, got some questions

Alright. Well my moms birthday is right around the corner and my dad is look at a mustang for her.

Long story short, she changes her mind almost everyday. Today my dad test drove a '10 Grabber Blue V6 Pony Package. I'm not really concerned about problems with these vehicles, but any info would be great.

Also, they are asking (after discounts) $23,7xx The car has been on the lot for almost a year and is perfect condition. What would be a good deal for this car?

Thanks guys
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Tell the dealer that you will pay no more than invoice! In this economy and the 2011 coming soon ***** in your court, plus tell them you're looking at the camaro! They will bow down and you'll get a good deal
Old 02-03-2010, 09:52 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

Wait for the '11. It will have almost 100 more horsepower and there won't be much of a price difference with the v6.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

I'd wait for the 2011. I've heard that it's to hit the dealers showrooms sometime in late April.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Well thats also what i was telling my dad, was to wait for the 11's cuz there is more power and fuel economy. So we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
Well thats also what i was telling my dad, was to wait for the 11's cuz there is more power and fuel economy. So we'll just have to wait and see.
Sounds like waiting is a stronger argument if it was for you:-), however from your original post I'm not sure it is the best decision for your mom.
Consider this in your decision:
Does she need/want more power?
Is the added economy savings a big deal - how many miles a year will she be driving?
Do you expect the new car/motor combo to be as solid and bug free as the 5 year old design (a lot more years for production on the 4.0 motor). Should it need to be in the shop to work out the early bugs is that a hardship (or an unacceptable annoyance) for her, or can she get by with out the car for a few days? Basically does she care more about reliability, or performance and styling?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Sounds like waiting is a stronger argument if it was for you:-), however from your original post I'm not sure it is the best decision for your mom.
Is the added economy savings a big deal - how many miles a year will she be driving?
Do you expect the new car/motor combo to be as solid and bug free as the 5 year old design (a lot more years for production on the 4.0 motor). Should it need to be in the shop to work out the early bugs is that a hardship (or an unacceptable annoyance) for her, or can she get by with out the car for a few days? Basically does she care more about reliability, or performance and styling?

^ ^ ^ Good Post ^ ^ ^

Will the 2011's be out before your Mom's birthday? Do some research to determine dealer cost on the 2010's. Most dealers have a holdback of around 3% (+/-), which gives them add'l wiggle room. Edmunds.com or kbb.com will be good reference tools. With the 2011's coming out in a few months, new 2010's are gonna be a great value.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
I totally agree with everything you said! We test drove an 06' V6 last weekend and she got in, romped on it and said "IS THIS NOT A V8??" haha! i didn't think she would know the difference or even care, so apparently she does want power. She is constantly reminding me that she will/wants a faster car than mine, and i'm sure the '11 V6's will be faster than my GT.

And as far as reliability/performance/styling, she honestly wants it all. And the same goes for my dad, he is a very picky car buyer and i think he has done well for himself being that way.

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
^ ^ ^ Good Post ^ ^ ^

Will the 2011's be out before your Mom's birthday? Do some research to determine dealer cost on the 2010's. Most dealers have a holdback of around 3% (+/-), which gives them add'l wiggle room. Edmunds.com or kbb.com will be good reference tools. With the 2011's coming out in a few months, new 2010's are gonna be a great value.
My moms birthday is in 7 days, haha! So prob not... but the big thing is figuring out the price drop that will occur when the '11s come out.

And what do you mean by holdback?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

They mark it up by around 3% so they can drop price to make it look like they are giving you a deal. The 2011 v6 could actually be an all around better car than the GT. But thats from a modders perspective
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

although my 2010 is not a pony package, and it did have 3,000 miles on it. I got mine for $16,500 take that into consideration. I think you can get a much better deal on this car. If you guys are looking to save money go with the the 2010, however if money isnt the biggest issue go for the new engine in the 2011.

Last edited by livinloud98; 02-04-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.0L newb, got some questions