Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine won't start. in need of mechanical advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:16 AM
adam_b0mb

Thank you guys for all your encouragement, but i am looking to fix it myself if it will cost me less than pursuing legal action.

Originally Posted by jimkaray
ok sounds like you went to a Quick change place. Big mistake, they let any and every loser work there.
you're right, but all life lessons aside, i'm really looking for mechanical advice, not legal advice.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adam_b0mb
It was not the dealer, it was a private center. i was unable to obtain a receipt when requested by the dealer and they in turn voided my warranty.
legal matters are being looked into, but litigation will cost almost as much as they are quoting to fix it, if not more.

and i would gladly pay to assess further penalties (missed work, emotional stress, etc.), but i simply cannot afford the overhead.

Right now, i'm looking for a cheaper alternative to get my baby back to running condition.
First off your motor is shot and the cheapest solution is to replace it with a used one, preferably low mileage from a wreck. Contact your local junk yards, try ebay and Mustang online dealers that part out wrecks. Since you don't do your own oil changes I'm going to assume swapping the motor is beyond your skills. Get an installation quote from a reputable local garage and also ask them to quote you on a used motor. Going this route should only be around half as much. You might also contact your local technical school. They usually work on a certain number of real world projects a year and the students will love to get their hands on your car:-) As far as I know they will do the work for free.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

I think you lost compression due to lack of lubrication. What I would recommend is to remove the plugs again if they are back in the block, and run a good compression check on each cylinder. Write them down so you can compare the readings. I would think they will all be lower than normal, perhaps too low to crank up again. Good luck!

Larry
Old 02-06-2010, 10:00 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I too am confused why you are looking for mechanical advice? If you cannot do a simple oil change, what makes you think you will be able to undertake anything more complicated? This is obviously a complex problem that needs proper diagnosis. You will be at the mercy of any shop you select since you wont be able to do the work yourself. The fact that you are unwilling to undertake a legal course of action tells me there is something missing here. Maybe it wasn't a shop that did it, maybe it was a friend or cousin or something like that. The fact that you had a car that was under warranty and you had someone other than the dealer replace the oil and filter is also odd to me. Many dealers will replace your oil & filter for free or for the same as most outside shops cause they want to get you back in. On the legal side, most states I believe have a small claims court where for just a few bucks you can represent yourself. I know if it was me I would be ready to break someone's neck, let alone start a civil action. An attorney will cost you money, but is not always the best course to pursue. Small claims is the best alternative or just take it to the dealer and let them do the work and take your lumps.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:20 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
First off your motor is shot and the cheapest solution is to replace it with a used one, preferably low mileage from a wreck. Contact your local junk yards, try ebay and Mustang online dealers that part out wrecks. Since you don't do your own oil changes I'm going to assume swapping the motor is beyond your skills. Get an installation quote from a reputable local garage and also ask them to quote you on a used motor. Going this route should only be around half as much. You might also contact your local technical school. They usually work on a certain number of real world projects a year and the students will love to get their hands on your car:-) As far as I know they will do the work for free.

Definitely try this. I know 2 people that got cars painted for free by a tech school.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by chronos
I too am confused why you are looking for mechanical advice? If you cannot do a simple oil change, what makes you think you will be able to undertake anything more complicated? This is obviously a complex problem that needs proper diagnosis. You will be at the mercy of any shop you select since you wont be able to do the work yourself. The fact that you are unwilling to undertake a legal course of action tells me there is something missing here. Maybe it wasn't a shop that did it, maybe it was a friend or cousin or something like that. The fact that you had a car that was under warranty and you had someone other than the dealer replace the oil and filter is also odd to me. Many dealers will replace your oil & filter for free or for the same as most outside shops cause they want to get you back in. On the legal side, most states I believe have a small claims court where for just a few bucks you can represent yourself. I know if it was me I would be ready to break someone's neck, let alone start a civil action. An attorney will cost you money, but is not always the best course to pursue. Small claims is the best alternative or just take it to the dealer and let them do the work and take your lumps.
got to agree here......if someone messed up like this its an easy legal case really and wont take 6k to win. I am going with either you or a friend made a foolish error and you dont wont to admit that. Come clean with the "full" story and not he shortened version and then we can actually help you. The engine is toast. you arent going to just remove plugs and put some oil in for a magically fix.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

good luck adam
Old 02-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
got to agree here......if someone messed up like this its an easy legal case really and wont take 6k to win. I am going with either you or a friend made a foolish error and you dont wont to admit that. Come clean with the "full" story and not he shortened version and then we can actually help you. The engine is toast. you arent going to just remove plugs and put some oil in for a magically fix.
Have to side with this.

After hearing further details it's not really adding up. I've never seen one of those quick lube joints that didn't issue receipts, and if my car keeled over and died right after being worked on by one, I sure as heck wouldn't have misplaced that receipt.

And yeah, the engine is probably toast.

I did a teardown once on the engine from my Mom's car, where the oil light came on (due to a pump failure) and she felt it'd be okay to go "just a few more miles" down the highway, instead of just shutting it off and calling for help.

The amount of scoring on moving surfaces inside that engine was horrifying, and the main bearings were now loose metal potato chips sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. You don't do something like this and think a fresh filter and a can of STP is going to set things right unfortunately.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

It's turning because it can based on the current situation. Either blow-by or wiped bearing is keeping the engine from starting. When the oil failed to lubricate the engine, metal on metal contact occured. Scored cylinders will allow blow-by to occur, and compression will be too low to allow fire up. Or bearings are wiped and the engine doesn't have enough grunt to rotate everything. Now back in the day when I got stupid with my xcharger, I replaced the 4.0 for 1200 doing the labor myself. If you don't mind some miles on it.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:44 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NuclearMuscle523
It's turning because it can based on the current situation. Either blow-by or wiped bearing is keeping the engine from starting. When the oil failed to lubricate the engine, metal on metal contact occured. Scored cylinders will allow blow-by to occur, and compression will be too low to allow fire up. Or bearings are wiped and the engine doesn't have enough grunt to rotate everything.
All of the above for sure, plus the cams are wiped out. Overhead cams don't last long on low oil pressure. They are the first to suffer oil starvation being that they're at the farthest point away from the pump.

Quick Reply: Engine won't start. in need of mechanical advice!