Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Found out something disappointing about my driveshaft today

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Default Found out something disappointing about my driveshaft today

While taking pictures of my stock DS I decided to weigh it and see how much I really saved. Everywhere says the stock shaft weighs about 40LB but let the picture tell the real story. Thats right it only weighs 24.5LB! I weighed my shaftmasters when I got it and it was 18.5lbs, so I spent $500 to save 6lbs. Maybe the GT shaft weighs 40lbs? Kinda sucks but what are you gonna do I guess. Now I am rethinking whether it was my shorties or my DS that made it feel faster since they were done at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails Found out something disappointing about my driveshaft today-024.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:56 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

WOW! That is very interesting. I wonder what the GT's weigh? Cause I'd put the 600.00 toward something else.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

That is a very interesting find. That sure is alot of money to spend to only gain so little. Its like dumping money into a supercharger. If u dont install it urself its around the 6000k mark assuming u get decent one. Then with that u need suspension upgrades and tires so u can actually benefit from the extra power u have gotten. It seems to me the dealers are benefiting from the hysteria of modding the mustang. I commented on a forum and said its amazing how much money people are willing to put in a supercharger and still run in the 12's if u go to the track. Its disappointing if u ask me. I realize that u are capable of 11's but like i said by the time u get done with adding what is necessary for a supercharged car ur in almost 10k. Crazy but if u got the money then great. Im speaking for myself, and i make pretty good money. Just a thought i wanted to express. Just so i dont ruffly any feathers im not against sc im just pointing out the mere fact its a lot of money
Old 02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I thought household scales are inaccurate at low weight. 24lbs isn't very heavy - does it feel like a single 20lb dumbbell?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Well I think the GT's driveshaft is heavier and stronger. But either way 6lb's may not seem like alot, but taking off 6lb's off a DS is not the same as taking off 6lbs from the car. Every pound you take off the DS you are freeing up WHP. Plus your method of weighing the DS is not very accurate.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:00 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

My GT shaft, while I did not measure, felt A LOT heavier than my dynotech DS. The stock felt about twice as heavy.

According to this page (http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13162) the stock GT shaft is 39 lbs.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

it looks like you have the other half of the driveshaft resting on the ground..... making your weighing methods inaccurate. only a portion of the weight is being directed into the scale, the rest is going directly to the floor.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
shaftmasters

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
While taking pictures of my stock DS I decided to weigh it and see how much I really saved. Everywhere says the stock shaft weighs about 40LB but let the picture tell the real story. Thats right it only weighs 24.5LB! I weighed my shaftmasters when I got it and it was 18.5lbs, so I spent $500 to save 6lbs. Maybe the GT shaft weighs 40lbs? Kinda sucks but what are you gonna do I guess. Now I am rethinking whether it was my shorties or my DS that made it feel faster since they were done at the same time.
We are sorry if you are dissappointed with the weight saving with our driveshaft. We take pride in the fact that we make a honest effort to not mislead or exaggerate what you can expect from our driveshaft. The V-6 Mustang OEM driveshaft doesn't weigh nearly as much as the GT driveshaft because the V-6 is a one-piece driveshaft whereas the GT is a two-piece. I have looked at our store and haven't seen on it where we claim that the V-6 OEM driveshaft weighs 39lbs. If you are not happy with your purchase you have 30 days from the date of delivery to return for a full refund. Feel free to let us know if that is your wish.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

On the plus side, I'm sure the shaftmasters shaft is a lot stronger than the OEM shaft. It actually does not take much power to twist the OEM GT shaft when running slicks.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

The scale is accurate guys, the DS wasnt touching the floor I check, and I stood it straight up and got the same weight. Also I weighed my shaftmasters when I got it on that same scale and it weighed 18.5lbs which is exactly what they stated, so im sure its accurate. Anyway im not really that mad about it, definitely keeping it, but just slightly disappointed. No sites state what the V6 shafts weighs, they all just talk about the GT weighing so much. Just wanted to make people aware.

Quick Reply: Found out something disappointing about my driveshaft today