MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   GT Suspension (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/585528-gt-suspension.html)

IndecisiveS197 02-09-2010 12:08 PM

GT Suspension

Hi guys, I've found a set of factory shocks/struts, springs, and front and rear swaybars from a 2007 GT that apparently came off the car before it ever got on the road for $100.

Is this a deal worth jumping on, or should I go aftermarket for those things.

I've got a base V6, so I don't have the rear swaybar.

are the GT shocks and springs worth putting in?

I don't know if the rear sway has endlinks or not either, I'd have to e-mail the seller.

I've also found a set of front and rear Hellwig swaybars brand new in box for $250, it looks to be the complete kit with endlinks. Would this be the better investment?

What do you guys think.

ODDYSEY 02-09-2010 12:15 PM

Hellwig's would be a better investment IMO.

The GT shocks/struts/springs will be of no benefit to you. Invest that money into some FRPP or Eibach springs and good dampers.

replica 02-09-2010 12:56 PM

Not really worth it. It's not like basic suspension upgrades are that expensive anyway.

Jebmustangv6 02-09-2010 11:42 PM

I have a question to add I have GT take off sways for front and rear came with all hardware supposedly. Did come with poly bushings. thing is my car is a premium v6 not pony so no rear sway bar from factory so how do I know if I have all the parts to install is there a parts list somewhere out there. thanks Jeff

To the OP not meaning to hi-jack, but if your car doesn't have the rear sway like mine I am sure this is a valid question.

GrayPony 02-10-2010 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jebmustangv6 (Post 6807212)
I have a question to add I have GT take off sways for front and rear came with all hardware supposedly. Did come with poly bushings. thing is my car is a premium v6 not pony so no rear sway bar from factory so how do I know if I have all the parts to install is there a parts list somewhere out there. thanks Jeff

To the OP not meaning to hi-jack, but if your car doesn't have the rear sway like mine I am sure this is a valid question.

hmmmm....
You purchase a workshop manual or take a look at the one online. (what a concept, huh?) Compare the parts you have with the exploded view diagram and decide if you have everything. More importantly, the diagram has torque specs and part numbers for all the mounting hardware. Yes, some of the part numbers are no longer available so a simple board search will be required to find replacement part information.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=65&viewfile...izer%20Bar.pdf

IndecisiveS197 02-10-2010 02:34 PM

Mine doesn't have the factory sway bar either, so yes, this is a relevant question.

Thanks for the input guys. If I can scrounge up a little more I think I'll jump on the hellwig swaybars.

So_Cali 02-10-2010 03:14 PM

You'll need the brackets for both the front and rear sways. End-Links of course and all the hardware (nuts,bolts,washers) Poly bushings can be found Here

This is what GrayPony was talking about.

157dB 02-10-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by IndecisiveS197 (Post 6805266)
Hi guys, I've found a set of factory shocks/struts, springs, and front and rear swaybars from a 2007 GT that apparently came off the car before it ever got on the road for $100.

Is this a deal worth jumping on, or should I go aftermarket for those things.

I've got a base V6, so I don't have the rear swaybar.

are the GT shocks and springs worth putting in?

I don't know if the rear sway has endlinks or not either, I'd have to e-mail the seller.

I've also found a set of front and rear Hellwig swaybars brand new in box for $250, it looks to be the complete kit with endlinks. Would this be the better investment?

What do you guys think.

GT springs/ shocks on a V6, NO.
NO NO NO NO - SEARCH - NO NO NO!
GT sways front and rear on a V6, YES.

Jebmustangv6 02-11-2010 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by GrayPony (Post 6807488)
hmmmm....
You purchase a workshop manual or take a look at the one online. (what a concept, huh?) Compare the parts you have with the exploded view diagram and decide if you have everything. More importantly, the diagram has torque specs and part numbers for all the mounting hardware. Yes, some of the part numbers are no longer available so a simple board search will be required to find replacement part information.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=65&viewfile...izer%20Bar.pdf

thanks for the link
Jeff

Jebmustangv6 02-11-2010 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by So_Cali (Post 6808272)
You'll need the brackets for both the front and rear sways. End-Links of course and all the hardware (nuts,bolts,washers) Poly bushings can be found Here

This is what GrayPony was talking about.

I already have the poly bushings they came with the GT sways I bought everything off here from a local guy in denver. got my pypes violators for my duals from a member here too but he was in a different city and had a GT. That is why I like this site.