Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Big Job ahead, 8.8 Axle & suspension

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wes_T
Josh- I went with aftermarket springs/shock. I don't think the GT Take-off stuff will give you a much better ride or handeling. If you want to swap go aftermarket. The weight difference isn't that great. Check with Sam Strano in the suspension forum, he took care of alot of us and can explain what you need and why.

Laterrider- thanks for the nice words. I think I'll just use some engine spraypaint. If it can hold to high temps it should be fine on the rear.

I went with 3.73 gears.
por15 will hold up better and last longer. JMHO
Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Yea Agree with that^
Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

I went with 3.73 gears.
Cool man, enjoy!!! Don't forget we want pics when its done, but don't rush on account of us!!!

I'll be interested how you like it after the install.. I may have to add further suspension upgrades in the future..lol... seems like adding better sways just gets us started in making these cars handle better...
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Default Progress....

Well I finally got some time and got the 7.5 off. Pretty strait forward, used a lot of PB blaster and lots of arm strength. I don't have air tools.

Nothing remarkable about this process, just unbolt and keep things organized. I had to take the panhard bar off to get enough room to access the UCA bolt. I did find that unbolting the UCA with the axle a low as it will go, provided the most room to get leverage on the wrench. Then jack it up as high as it could go made it easy to pull the bolt out and bring the axle down.

Unbolting the stock shocks from inside the trunk was a pain. It uses a 15mm nut, but you can't just turn it. The shocks spins internally so you need to use a crescent wrench (vicescrips probably would have been better) to provide opposite pressure as you turn the nut off.

Next I got the new KONI shock installed. Very easy, used the old nuts and rubber grommets from the OEM shocks. I used a little Teflon spray on the rubber to keep it squeak free. These bolted right on, no need for opposite pressure while tightening the upper nut.

Well I'll head back out and try to get the 8.8 up before nightfall. more pics to come!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:29 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The 8.8 axle is a direct swap, using the same bolts you took off the 7.5. No modification to axle or vehicle frame.

BUT, if your swapping other stuff like suspension parts then you may need other parts.
Its almost a direct swap.
You need the V6 pinion flange.
If swapping flanges yourself,
you need a new crush sleeve.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Well I finally got some time and got the 7.5 off. Pretty strait forward, used a lot of PB blaster and lots of arm strength. I don't have air tools.

Well I'll head back out and try to get the 8.8 up before nightfall. more pics to come!
I ordered the 8.8 w/ 373s yesterday, do you know what the actual weight of the rear end is? Im trying to decide how Im gonna unload it out of my truck when I get it home. (I'm having it delivered to work)

And does it come with gear lube in it already?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

They told me the ship weight was 450 lbs. I'm hoping some of that is crating and "standard ship weight"

I'm not exactly a little sisy, but I'm also not gonna lift a 450 lb pallet out of my truck alone.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Well I'm done for the night, got everything bolted back on. No problems, took a while to get the UCA bolted on, I slowly worked the jack up, while shimming the front flange to keep it level.

I got stuck on the brakes! I rented the caliper tool from Autozone, but I can't get the pistons to budge. Anyone have any tips on this? The pistons are sticking out by 2cm and I can't get them back.

Josh - I think it's closer to 230lbs. Mine was delivered on a pallet and shipping weight was 250. I had a friend help me get it into my truck, I was able to slowly unload it by myself at home. Took some maneuvering and careful floor-jack action.
Also it comes with fluid in the differential.

157db - your right about the flange swap. In my case I bought the axle with the flange already installed, so it was a strait swap for me.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

in for more pics i hope
Old 02-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Finished the rear end this morning. Here it is:

The rear dropped by exactly one inch, from ground to top of wheel well.

I think I'll wait till next weekend to do the front suspension.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Job ahead, 8.8 Axle & suspension