Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dual exhaust conversion

Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
desixplayer88

This is what I am recommended by American Muscle:
Shorty headers because my stang is my dialy driver (But I think I would rather go with Long tubes to get more HP)
X-pipes
Ceramic headers
Straight through mufflers (For optimal flow and better sound)

And American Muscle offered me 2 ways to convert my V6 into duals:
1.) Get cat-back with 2 mufflers and connect them to the factory Y-pipes. It'll give the apperance of Dual exhaust.
2.) Replace Y-pipe with X-pipe and then choose any GT style cat-back.

Additional things needed: MIL Eliminator such as SCT Tuner (To get rid of the check engine light), Exhaust hangers, and tune up for the exhausts.

My questions are:
What type of headers would YOU recommend for daily usage? And what preferable brand not too pricey (Not too high end or low end cost).
Which way should I use to convert my V6 into duals? 1st way or the 2nd way?
Any other things that I need to get filled in with?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by desixplayer88
This is what I am recommended by American Muscle:
Shorty headers because my stang is my dialy driver (But I think I would rather go with Long tubes to get more HP)
X-pipes
Ceramic headers
Straight through mufflers (For optimal flow and better sound)

And American Muscle offered me 2 ways to convert my V6 into duals:
1.) Get cat-back with 2 mufflers and connect them to the factory Y-pipes. It'll give the apperance of Dual exhaust.
2.) Replace Y-pipe with X-pipe and then choose any GT style cat-back.

Additional things needed: MIL Eliminator such as SCT Tuner (To get rid of the check engine light), Exhaust hangers, and tune up for the exhausts.

My questions are:
What type of headers would YOU recommend for daily usage? And what preferable brand not too pricey (Not too high end or low end cost).
Which way should I use to convert my V6 into duals? 1st way or the 2nd way?
Any other things that I need to get filled in with?
I say option 2. Do a search on this forum about the headers. People have mixed opinion about whether or not they are worth it. Adding headers is something to do if you super or turdo charge. Longtube headers is going to be a lot more involving than you think.

Search "headers" or "shorty headers" and read about it before you get to gong ho.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Also, do you have emisions testing? I think that there are problems with emisions when using longtubes.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM
SuperNac
1st Gear Member

I put a GT H pipe on that I got from ebay then went with the Pypes mid muffler system. After a year on my car I'm still loving it.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Just yesterday I had my FRPP V6 Dual Exhaust kit installed. What a huge difference IMO it makes. I had the FRPP cold air intake and custom tune already installed prior to adding the duals, and my car literally feels like more power and torque has been freed up. I can pull harder, the driving experience feels much more powerful, and I love the sound compared to my previous single exhaust FlowMaster American Thunder muffler. Going dual is the only way to go IMO when upgrading exhaust on a V6.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

I went with gt take off mufflers a gt h pipe for long tube headers gt drivers over the axle pipe, band clamp from napa and used set of exhaust hangers and some 8mm bolts from a junk explorer, oh and picked up a set of frpp rear bumper cut outs from somebody that went with a gt bumper, total price 132.17 but was a lot of shopping to get that price.