Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need help removing 07+ V6 spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM
JT1826

Default Need help removing 07+ V6 spoiler

well i've been trying to remove it for hours now. i only had a limited amount of fishline to cut through the 3m tape and most of it has broke.

does anyone know of a way to get the 2 pieces of 3m tape off. or is anyone who's sumwat local willing to help me remove it? it's a real pain n the ***. and body shops want like $80 just to remove it, which is kinda high if u ask me. i think to cut through sum tape for $80 is just not worth it.

any tips?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

hair dryer, rubbing alcohol, more fishing line
Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 PM
mikeflhx

Originally Posted by JT1826
well i've been trying to remove it for hours now. i only had a limited amount of fishline to cut through the 3m tape and most of it has broke.

does anyone know of a way to get the 2 pieces of 3m tape off. or is anyone who's sumwat local willing to help me remove it? it's a real pain n the ***. and body shops want like $80 just to remove it, which is kinda high if u ask me. i think to cut through sum tape for $80 is just not worth it.

any tips?
fishing line is your best bet try using less force let the line do the work as you saw. your not trying to cut the tape but kinda melt it. ive done a few this way
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Just making sure you did open the trunk and loosen the 4 screws from underneath, right?

There supposedly is a video of Jack Roush popping a spoiler off.... one swift uppercut with the palm of his hand.

Heat gun / hair dryer. If you have a piece of plastic with a small edge, and you are REALLY careful not to scratch the paint, you can use that, too. I used a makeshift tool, I think it's really meant as a shim when contractors install windows and doors to allign them, to help get stuff off.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Dental Floss
Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 AM
dopedc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
Dental Floss
lol fishing line is how i got mine off
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

Is the spoiler held on only by tape? Or are there screws securing it? If it's tape only I'll be removing mine today! I don't like the look of the spoiler currently on the car.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Peshields
Is the spoiler held on only by tape? Or are there screws securing it? If it's tape only I'll be removing mine today! I don't like the look of the spoiler currently on the car.
There are 4 screws underneath. You can access them when you open the trunk. They're staring you in the face, so it's easy to get to.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
JT1826

Originally Posted by Jasoon
Just making sure you did open the trunk and loosen the 4 screws from underneath, right?

There supposedly is a video of Jack Roush popping a spoiler off.... one swift uppercut with the palm of his hand.

Heat gun / hair dryer. If you have a piece of plastic with a small edge, and you are REALLY careful not to scratch the paint, you can use that, too. I used a makeshift tool, I think it's really meant as a shim when contractors install windows and doors to allign them, to help get stuff off.
Seriously? wats his number, i gotta get him down here ASAP! lol

and yes i took the 4 screws out.

i'm just having a hard time cutting through the 2 LARGE pieces of 3m tape in the middle. sides were a breeze. i cut through a little bit but then the line would break and break and now i'm just running out of line. LOL once the new spoiler's on IT'S NEVER COMING OFF!!!! Haha
Old 03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IndecisiveS197
There are 4 screws underneath. You can access them when you open the trunk. They're staring you in the face, so it's easy to get to.
Ah thats too bad, going to have to wait till I decide on what spoiler I like to replace the stock one I have

Quick Reply: Need help removing 07+ V6 spoiler