Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Big Job ahead, 8.8 Axle & suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Big Job ahead, 8.8 Axle & suspension

This weekend I'll be installing a new 8.8 rear, new KONI str.t shocks/struts, Steeda springs, and heavy duty strut mounts..... UGHHH.

What do you guys think about the bright Orange shocks? My car is blue, the springs are blue, I was thinking about trying to paint the shocks/struts. I think the orange would look weird on the car. Any thoughts?

I've read most of the HOW TO threads, and thanks to all of you for those. I hope you can help me with just a couple questions:
1. Short of removing the rear panel, how can I make sure there is (enough) fluid in the differential. (bought it from Blue Oval indust.)

2. Will painting the axle help to retard rust buildup? Is rattle can engine paint sufficient?

3. Will doing this myself through off my Wheel Alignment? Do I need to take it for an adjustment when I'm done?

4. Pinion Angle. The new suspension will drop the rear about 1". What to I need to do/adjust to compensate for this drop (if anything)? FYI -Already have 1 piece Driveshaft.

Anybody in the market for slightly used V6 suspension parts or rear end? :-)

Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

yes you need an alinement done after lowering it. you also need an adjustable panhard bar for the rear or your thrust angle will be off. a nice coat for paint will keep the rust down, from what ive been told for the diff. , have the car level and add fluid until it starts to come out of the filler hole. good luck and have fun.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I have the koni orange with the sports on my black car, no one is ever going to see them but you. Dont waste your time. And you definitely need an alignment
Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt bother painting the rear end.
when i put on sport springs i didnt need camber plates, or even camber bolts. the specs were just barely off and i liked the little bit more wheel camber.
get an adjustable uca to fix the pinion angle.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

the 8.8 rear end do u need to do any moding to install it?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

The 8.8 axle is a direct swap, using the same bolts you took off the 7.5. No modification to axle or vehicle frame.

BUT, if your swapping other stuff like suspension parts then you may need other parts.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I will be swapping out the 7.5 for an 8.8 in the very near furture. I have a 06 pony package. I've been told that gt shocks and springs would be a good idea, they would help compensate for the extra unsprung weight of the 8.8. I've been thinking about it and just don't understand why I need heavier shocks and springs, if the rear end is UNsprung weight (or under the suspension). Also with the pony package, is it nessesary?

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I'm just looking for an explanation.
Thanks Guys
Old 02-18-2010, 07:29 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Wes - nice mods you've got going on!!!! Your V6 is one of my favorites on here with your appearance mods.

I wouldn't paint the struts/shocks as I just don't think you'll see them enough. But the strut color is kinda cool anyway if from some obscure angle it were to be just 'noticed'.

BUT - I would look at painting that rear while its out and easy to do with something that would prevent rust - man that thing looks great sitting there - no rust. I absolutely hate that you can see that rusted rear end on my 09 (I stuck with 7.5 and just did gears) - I wish I went 8.8 and painted it!!! Also, sitting in a car behind mine, it seems the only thing I notice is the rusted rear end. I don't have advice on what paint you should use, but I'm sure a search would tell you what to use.
Just my 2 cents...
BTW, what gears did you get with the rear?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Yes definitely paint the rear axle, it has to be better then nothing. I plan on painting my takeoff once I pull the trigger after this bad weather goes away. Have to give it a fighting chance lol.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Josh- I went with aftermarket springs/shock. I don't think the GT Take-off stuff will give you a much better ride or handeling. If you want to swap go aftermarket. The weight difference isn't that great. Check with Sam Strano in the suspension forum, he took care of alot of us and can explain what you need and why.

Laterrider- thanks for the nice words. I think I'll just use some engine spraypaint. If it can hold to high temps it should be fine on the rear.

I went with 3.73 gears.

Quick Reply: Big Job ahead, 8.8 Axle & suspension