Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Men, take a look

Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rjaniz
I'm with Oddysey as well. Using someones photo without their permission is a SERIOUS no-no in the Advertising World. It costs nothing to send you an email/pm/whatever asking you if you would mind. And worst case, if you had said "No" for some reason, they'd just have to find someone who'd say "Sure".

You signed no contract saying you would advertise for them? You paid full price for your xcharger? Paid for the rest of your expensive setup out of pocket? Paid to have it dyno'd? Then they shouldn't be allowed to use your hard work and money to make themselves more money while you get absolutely nothing out of it (not even a mention!).

I applaud your generous attitude toward this, but they've done right by you because they are in business to do so. You've been a champion for the X-Charger and are one of the primary reasons I've decided to get one this summer, and so you've done more than enough to help out this company. Thanks to this, though, I'm seriously considering passing on an X-Charger.

If they can't acknowledge those who keep them in business, or even the simple professional courtesy to obtain permission for your photos for promotional campaigns, I feel no reason to help them continue in any fashion.

Yes, I feel very strongly about this because I'm a Graphic Designer and I've had people steal my work.

First off, DON'T pass on the X-Charger because of this.

This page belongs to Stage 3 Motorsports, an X-Charger RESELLER (like Steeda, etc). I bought my X-Charger directly from the manufacturer, Explorer Express, who I can guarantee had nothing to do with this page (as Gaylon pointed out above there are photos of the prototype X-Charger intercooler on that page that EE would not have approved for advertising use)

I may drop Stage 3 a note, just commenting on the lack of courtesy shown.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Rjaniz

Ah, then my apologies as I was under the impression that EE was associated with this ad.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by Rjaniz
Ah, then my apologies as I was under the impression that EE was associated with this ad.
Dave is an outstanding guy, definitely don't pass up purchasing an x-charger. You will love Dave and the x-charger.

They should have just known better. The x-charger community is small and the majority of the x owners know each other, they should have figured that out.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

Here's a question... where did they get your engine bay photo from?! Someone had to give it to them, or they nabbed it off a photoset you had on forums?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Peshields
Here's a question... where did they get your engine bay photo from?! Someone had to give it to them, or they nabbed it off a photoset you had on forums?
Option #2
Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I just had a pretty good exchange of emails with one of the Stage 3 guys.

It seems pretty clear that it honestly hadn't occurred to them that anyone might object to the use of their images, and he acknowledged my point and offered to pull the images if I wished. I told them it was ok to leave my images up (mostly because they came back with a very polite and professional response)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Good that they were professional about it. Did you mention the IC prototype pics being EE's property, and if so, did they respond to that?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Here is a question.....if you post your images on a forum, obviously it is open to the public.....which may become public domain?

A thought........if I was in your shoes and knew that it would benefit EE......then it's cool, otherwise..........it' sleazy!!!

Would never buy from them.......

Last edited by 4LITER6; 03-16-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: I am an IDIOT!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Rjaniz

Originally Posted by 4LITER6
Here is a question.....if you post your images on a forum, obviously it is open to the public.....which may become public domain?
When someone takes your photo to use for any reason, until you sign off on it, rights remain with the photographer and even the subjects of the photo. More so when a photo is used in a money making capacity (read: ad).

When you would upload a photo to something like Getty Images or Shutterstock, you are agreeing that these images are destined to be used by others. Mostly you're agreement comes from someone buying your image which, in turn, makes you money.

A discussion forum, blog, or personal webpage has no such agreement unless explicitly stated. And even though Discussion forums are considered "public" by your average person, in the eyes of the law, they are deemed private. It's why Mods and Admins here are able to make the rules as they see fit without having to answer to anyone, because it's privately owned. All of us being here for free and able to view it anytime we want is simply a privilege granted by the domain owner(s).

So if I took a photo of my super-awesome creation(be it a mustang mod setup, drawing, what have you), and post it all over this board and a couple others and someone uses it to say "I can make this for you!" without getting my OK to use the photo, I'd still have every legal right to call for a cease and desist of use. If they refused to C&D, I have legal grounds to sue.

I know it might sound incredibly trivial and petty, but it's more a matter of respect for those who did your work for you. You are using their work to create a situation that makes you look good so you can sell your product/idea.

Torch has been very generous toward Stage3 to allow them to use his photos after they acknowledge they didn't do the necessary legwork. And, I'll say it again, I applaud him for being so nice (but I don't necessarily agree with his decision ). Truly, his hard work, and Torch himself, deserves the recognition.

But it [strike]saddens[/strike] infuriates me that it hadn't occurred to stage3 that anyone might object to the use of the images as obtaining permission for use of images for ads is basic advertising 101. It's covered in the chapter "Don't friggin steal stuff!"

Last edited by Rjaniz; 03-17-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I just had a pretty good exchange of emails with one of the Stage 3 guys.

It seems pretty clear that it honestly hadn't occurred to them that anyone might object to the use of their images, and he acknowledged my point and offered to pull the images if I wished. I told them it was ok to leave my images up (mostly because they came back with a very polite and professional response)
Great to hear that Torch...

Rjaniz, they probably know that we are a cool bunch of people and I don't think I know even one of us that would say no in using our photos, especially if it helps out Dave. It is really nice that they think so highly of Torch's car to publish it on their website, but it just comes down to "They should have asked".

But I agree, their polite response would have sold me on letting them use it. If they were anything but polite, I would have made them yank it.

Good call on the Stage 3 guys for being polite

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X-Men, take a look