Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2009 V6 Mustang Engine Cut-Off While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 AM
dmindock

Angry 2009 V6 Mustang Engine Cut-Off While Driving

I own a 2009 Ford Mustang V6. While driving back from Virginia Beach my engine died on the expressway after I had driven 110 miles. Coasting to the side of the expressway and tried to start the car. The engine cranked, reved up and then promptly died. After reading the car manual I hit the fuel cutoff switch tried again with same result. Waiting 30 minutes and tried again with same result.

Taking my darkening situation into account I called Ford’s Roadside Emergency number and they called a tow truck and delivered me to a local dealership. The dealership only had sales open with no service, typical for a Sunday. I have first day rental on my warranty and the dealership tried to contact Enterprise Rent-A-Car with no luck. They provided me with a loaner so I could get home.

Does anyone have experience with something like this happening to them. I have owned my V6 Mustang for 1 year and it has 33,500 miles on it. It just had an oil change two weeks ago and the car was running very well before the engine died. I perceived no problems with the engine before hand.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

definitely sounds fuel related. i would say check the codes but the dealer has it so looks like only time will tell.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 PM
MEK
1st Gear Member

I had a similar situation, car would start, run for a few seconds then shut off....no codes.

It turned out to be the MAF sensor,mine was replaced under warranty.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Did you break down in Va. Beach? Is you car at a local dealership there?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Whatever it is, you're under warranty. But let us know what the dealer does.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

if its at the dealership now then it doesnt matter what we guess it is, they will find and fix it.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 AM
dmindock

I have gotten my car back from the dealership and I am very disturbed at what I was told. The tech told me that my air filter had come loose, causing the engine computer to detect a problem and the computer shut down the car’s engine. This is very very disturbing. The computer shut down the engine when I was on the expressway. This nearly caused a fatal crash as cars behind me nearly hit my car at high speed as I was trying to get to the side of the road. This is very very dangerous.

There is no way that a loose air filter should cause the engine to shut down. The dealership indicated this was for emissions. This programming I am sure has caused fatal car crashes before and no one would know because once your car is hit in a high speed collision the air filter would naturally be moved. This is no less than a crime to program something like this into a car’s engine computer.

I am looking into contacting Virginia’s Attorney General. This is totally irresponsible of Ford to do this. This is obviously designed to keep cars coming into the dealer to generate revenue.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Actually, the "black box" in our cars would indicate what happened and what malfunctioned prior to a crash as a result of the engine shutting off, so there is no way of hiding it. They (crash investigators) would know.

Not only that, but the majority of our S197's are under warranty. This being the case, the dealership and Ford is certainly not making any money off this repair, therefore, not generating revenue.

Last edited by Murphdog; 03-23-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 AM
dmindock

Murphdog Interesting analysis

I fix high end equipment and I have done so for 15 years. The black box in my machines give codes that will rarely tell me what the problem is or how to fix the device, but it does give me some good clues. A shutdown is definitely recorded with time stamp. So I would agree that an investigator would be able to tell if the engine were to shut off before more traumatic damage would take place. As for the cause of the engine shutdown I would doubt it.

As for not making any revenue on warranties this is not so true. Here is how it works in the “real world”.

If warranty work looses money for the dealer, then the dealer would soon go bankrupt, so the dealer must at the least break even. This is still revenue, just not a lot of profit. Probably just enough to pay for the parts and time of the mechanic. This situation does not cover situations like the tech took too long at diagnosing and fixing the repair which can result in the loss of money for that repair.

I am sure the dealer would make more money doing out-of-warrenty repair work. In order to sell cars the dealers must also stand behind their products. So the dealer must make warranty repairs to keep the initial sales of their product. Classic Chicken or the Egg.

Payments for warranties are considered to be from one side of the corporation to the other. Companies never have significant profit in this situation. Dealers are considered to be in this massive corporate umbrella for warranty payment purposes.

As equipment ages wear and tear cause more malfunctions. Eventually the car is out of warranty and must be repaired at higher prices. Some of that revenue will go back to the dealer, especially for complex problems. The problem my car experienced I would think would be easy to diagnose and repair.

I would agree that warranty insurance would have to pay for the repair, however, this is not money out of Ford’s or the dealers pocket. Much like house insurance car warranties are sold to inventors as secured bonds, so money comes from a large bank to pay for repairs, not Ford Motor Company or the dealer.

So how does that work, it must be magic. Not really, let me give you an example that many people have personal experience with.

Similar situation for Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) when you default on you mortgage with PMI. How it works is the insurance company “Fannie Mae” sells the PMI married to your mortgage as a Bond to investors. The insurance company then “Secures” the Bond with a “Credit Default Swap” which ensures that if you default on your mortgage a bank will ensure payment of the bond to the investor. Basically paying your mortgage for you to the investor if you default.

Therefore the investor who purchased your mortgage bond does not lose money when you default on your mortgage. The bank which agreed to be the other side of the “Credit Default Swap” is paying for the defaulting mortgage to ensure the bond is paid to the investor.

What a deal, why are banks willing to pay for my mortgage if I default.

Banks buy huge amounts of “Credit Default Swaps” secured to mortgage bonds, thousands upon thousands of them. The price for the Credit Default swaps is generally high enough that they are making a lot of money because historically there are few defaults. It is considered to be a cash cow.

So, why are all the banks in trouble.

Contraction in housing prices are rare, but obviously not unheard of. I used to make speeches about bank defaults back in 2002 and no one believed me. When housing prices go down and defaults occur it tends to be in mass. Bank Panic of 1819, Bank Panic of 1921, Bank Holiday of 1933, and of course 2008 to current day.

Banks sell their “Credit Default Swaps” investors so they really do not care if this side of the equation is not stable. When the banks do get into trouble then we get the famous “Bank Bailout”. Your tax dollars at work.

Warranties work in a very similar way to PMI. My 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with rental car on first day only cost me $1,400. I am sure the cost was subsidized with TARP money to bring to price down that low. Ford may not even understand this relationship between the price of warranties, bailouts, and Credit Default Swaps.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmindock
Murphdog Interesting analysis

I fix high end equipment and I have done so for 15 years. The black box in my machines give codes that will rarely tell me what the problem is or how to fix the device, but it does give me some good clues. A shutdown...
I only got this far before my mind started wandering.
Maybe some pictures would help.
Mustang 5.0 likes to scatter cleavage throughout their articles to keep the reading interesting.

Quick Reply: 2009 V6 Mustang Engine Cut-Off While Driving