Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Worth suping up a V6 stang?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:24 PM
neo1674
2nd Gear Member

Default Worth suping up a V6 stang?

i been thinking i really want to upgrade my V6 but is it really worth it? whats the best 1/4 mile time anyones seen a V6 doing and ur personal opinions id like to have, plus whats the fastest car u beat with your V6 stang.
thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

depends how much money u have
u can make a car go as fast as you want as long as u have the cash
check out the sticky with 1/4 times
rygen has run a 10.9, which is faster than some cammed z06's that ive seen
Old 04-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

I beat a '03 GT in a drag race at the track last month, but plenty others have beaten me, including a modified Volvo! :-( I don't think there's much value in "what car can you beat" talk, there are too many differences and modifications out there.

My opinion is that's it's easier to buy a faster car in the first place, GT500. But really think about what you want to do with the car. Building up more horespower or squeezing a few extra ponies can be kinda fun & expensive, but with a V6 there are just some limits you won't overcome.

Are you going to get into real racing, Drag or track racing? You'll need to find out about the classes you can race in and the rules and restrictions. Do you want to be the king at the track? Those guys have to tow there cars to the track because for some of the real big power, you won't be street legal.

Do you want to own the streets around your neighborhood and blow people away at a stop light? Loud mufflers and a CAI will win alot of those battles.

Or do just want to have a fun car to drive? You may already have that.

I love my car, I'm not a serious racer, but go to the drag strip 7-8 times a year and a road course twice a year. It's a blast to go fast in these places and that seems to quench my hunger for top speeds. I've spent some money making the car "better" and have improved my times at the track. I usually improve my times each time I go, so that's what I try to focus on, because there is always a faster car out there. I've enjoyed working on the car and have learned more about how the different parts work together.
BUT...........

There's a 100 cars at the track that blow me away. It sucks to watch a car fly past me by the 60 foot mark!

It's easy to get emotionally attached to a car, that's what happened to me. It started as my wife's car when we bought it, she liked the color I liked the Mustang. I added a bluetooth system, then larger wheels that I found on craigslist, then the CAI, well why not a GT muffler. After a few years she got a different car, and I wanted to hold on to the Mustang since I put all this stuff into it and "made it mine". I started going to the track and built it up some more. Now I'm getting the XC-xtreem (I haven't learned anything)

I mean no disrespect to my V6 brethren, but if I had to do it over again I would have bought at least a GT if not a used GT500 or Boss. I think that way I'd be more competitive and satisfied with my times and results. This might be different if I only raced other V6 cars, but that's not what runs at open tracks. Your up against V8's and it's hard not to feel sub-par in their company.

Just a few thoughts from a V6 guy that sometimes feels a little regret.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:55 AM
neo1674
2nd Gear Member

how much did it cost u to put the 8.8 GT rear end in? and where did u do that?
thanks again for your opinion to really appreciated.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:07 AM
neo1674
2nd Gear Member

also if i do supe up my car when i go to trade it in will the dealership take it?
Old 04-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

I did the 8.8 swap myself so the only cost was the axle itself. Search around for the best price. I think it was around $800. I documented alot of the install here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...uspension.html

A dealer will always take your car, but they probably won't offer you anything extra for the mods you've done. You might be able to sell a moded privately, if you are trading in, try to return it to stock as much as possible and sell the mod items on ebay/craigslist ect.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:01 AM
neo1674
2nd Gear Member

so what benefits do you gain by having the 8.8?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 AM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by neo1674
also if i do supe up my car when i go to trade it in will the dealership take it?
if your thinking about trading it in then just save the money for the car you want
Old 04-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

twin turbo that bad boy!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
neo1674
2nd Gear Member

where could i get a twin turbo ive never seen it on any sites

Quick Reply: Worth suping up a V6 stang?