Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Bumper and Fogs: My Experience

Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollingstone
I just switch my V6 bumper to a GT bumper.

The foam can be trimmed and the other parts you really don't need them. The parts that you really need are:

-fender liners: right 5R3Z-16102-BA and left 5R3Z-16103-BA
-radiator deflector: 5R3Z-17626-BA
Yep, he's right aobut the foam piece. That can just be trimmed. You do need the fender liners and stone deflector, and those parts were about $150 all together at the dealer. (I know, total ripoff for 3 pieces of molded plastic.) If anyone has a URL to a parts co. who will sell them at a big discount, that would be a great service to everyone. I found small discounts online, but then you have to factor shipping and time. I just clenched my teeth and picked them up at my dealer, who had all the parts in stock.

There also are some bolts and fasteners needed, and I got a few extra of the plastic push fasteners because I was afraid I'd break some of the old ones getting them off. But these don't cost much. See the URL to the sticky that I posted when I started this thread. The initial post was reedited several times as members contributed info, and it's pretty reliable. Read this thread first. Just about all of your questions about parts and install are there. My point here was not to go over the install, but just to give everyone a heads up about cost. You'll have decide if it's worth it to you to spend $700-800 on this mod. I would have made a different decision myself.

Here's the parts list I used from the thread:

Front Bumper Cover:
Part Number : Qty : Description:
5R3Z-17626-BA : 1 : DEFLECTOR - STONE :
5R3Z-16102-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH :
5R3Z-16103-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH :
N801169S900 : 1 : PACK OF EIGHT SCREWS :
W705992S441 : 1 : PACK OF FOUR INSERTS :
Old 04-06-2010, 04:22 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Thanks Atl and sorry, didn't try and hijack the thread, just got to yapping lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by atldave
Yep, he's right aobut the foam piece. That can just be trimmed. You do need the fender liners and stone deflector, and those parts were about $150 all together at the dealer. (I know, total ripoff for 3 pieces of molded plastic.) If anyone has a URL to a parts co. who will sell them at a big discount, that would be a great service to everyone. I found small discounts online, but then you have to factor shipping and time. I just clenched my teeth and picked them up at my dealer, who had all the parts in stock.

There also are some bolts and fasteners needed, and I got a few extra of the plastic push fasteners because I was afraid I'd break some of the old ones getting them off. But these don't cost much. See the URL to the sticky that I posted when I started this thread. The initial post was reedited several times as members contributed info, and it's pretty reliable. Read this thread first. Just about all of your questions about parts and install are there. My point here was not to go over the install, but just to give everyone a heads up about cost. You'll have decide if it's worth it to you to spend $700-800 on this mod. I would have made a different decision myself.

Here's the parts list I used from the thread:

Front Bumper Cover:
Part Number : Qty : Description:
5R3Z-17626-BA : 1 : DEFLECTOR - STONE :
5R3Z-16102-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH :
5R3Z-16103-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH :
N801169S900 : 1 : PACK OF EIGHT SCREWS :
W705992S441 : 1 : PACK OF FOUR INSERTS :
5R3Z-17626-BA : 1 : DEFLECTOR - STONE : Do Not Need, i havent had one in 3 years, no problems
5R3Z-16102-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH : bought them online new for 14 dollars
5R3Z-16103-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH : read above
N801169S900 : 1 : PACK OF EIGHT SCREWS : Are you kidding? use your own screws?
W705992S441 : 1 : PACK OF FOUR INSERTS : read above

my total cost was less than 450 bucks and done in 2 hours... piece of cake
Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
5R3Z-17626-BA : 1 : DEFLECTOR - STONE : Do Not Need, i havent had one in 3 years, no problems
5R3Z-16102-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH : bought them online new for 14 dollars
5R3Z-16103-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH : read above
N801169S900 : 1 : PACK OF EIGHT SCREWS : Are you kidding? use your own screws?
W705992S441 : 1 : PACK OF FOUR INSERTS : read above

my total cost was less than 450 bucks and done in 2 hours... piece of cake
Ok, it occured to me that I didn't look for these parts on Ebay (duh!) before. It is possible to find the splash guards there for something like $15 each. If you do that, you could shave $58 bucks (minus shipping) from my total. I myself would want to install the stone deflector because it also seems to direct air up toward the radiator and gives a nice finished look at the bottom of the grill. I also don't have a large inventory of screws and fasteners laying around in the shop, and I hate having to run to the hardware store in the middle of the job. The stone deflector also requires some special clips that have to be ordered. I'm also not sure how you managed to get the bumper without paying a shipping charge, which in my case was $125. Also, as I mentioned, everyone who doesn't have a PP is going to have to get a wiring harnass and switch, which should run about $150 + shipping.

So, I'll just stand by my original claim here. Unless a guy has a Pony Package V6, I don't see how it is possible to do this mod (bumper cover, grill, splash guards, wiring harnass, switch) for less than about $730. Factor in some more if you do the stone deflector and need to order the screws and inserts.

My intention here is that we give the most accurate information we can on this thread so that everyone knows ahead of time what they are getting into. The NTO video makes it look like a simple $399 job. It's really a $750 job that requires some time and planning to round up what's needed.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Does the deflector plate attach to the bottom of the fascia itself? Giving it a bit more stability? I don't want the front flappin in the breeze down the hwy lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
Does the deflector plate attach to the bottom of the fascia itself? Giving it a bit more stability? I don't want the front flappin in the breeze down the hwy lol.
90% of people dont install this and never have a problem... this mod has been done countless times on here before... use the search function and you will see that you dont need the foam piece, radiator guard or screws... for that matter.. all you do is take out your screws then reuse them... you dont have to have them "laying around the shop" Also, I bought my parts from a dealership on the internet for 14 dollars each... i dont have ebay parts on my car... again, use the search function. Lastly, the bumpers from NTO used to not be as high as they are now, because the supply is running out of NTO parts... i had no problem doing this mod for under 450 shipping included..

this is a simple mod with tons of threads about it on here over the past 3 years ive been on here.

anyway, glad you got the parts you wanted, even if it was alittle more than you thought it would cost.

jd
Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Do you care to post the site you got the fender liners for? I will be installing my roush front in the near future and it would be nice to get that part ordered up so it gets here in time
Old 04-07-2010, 05:27 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReaperGT
Do you care to post the site you got the fender liners for? I will be installing my roush front in the near future and it would be nice to get that part ordered up so it gets here in time
Are you sure that your Roush front uses the same fender liners as the GT? If so, do a search on Ebay using these part numbers:

5R3Z-17626-BA : 1 : DEFLECTOR - STONE
5R3Z-16102-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH
5R3Z-16103-BA : 1 : GUARD - FRONT SPLASH

I can't vouch for any of these vendors because I got mine from the dealer. It looks like you can save about 50 bucks by ordering here, though.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

I was going to do this switch and was looking for the parts. Couldn't find any on ebay or and ford parts sites for the cheap prices ya'll talking about.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

So basically I just need the fender liners and optional stone guard, re-rivot the parking light brackets (only for factory GT front I assume?) and I can upgrade to any 2010 aftermarket GT front end? Like the street scene for GT?

Also does changing the fascia then allow the use of the GT/aftermarket made for GT hoods as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT Bumper and Fogs: My Experience