Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cai vs Stock with a tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 PM
derekdatank
2nd Gear Member

Default Cai vs Stock with a tune

Is there really a need to get a cai with a tune cause from everything that i have read says its just there for looks and it increase at best 5hp. Basically what im saying is it worth the 150 to 200 dollars for one if you already have a tune?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

When all you have is the prepackaged tune that comes with an off the shelf flash tuner then no a CAI will not net you any realistic improvement, certainly not your money worth. You need to invest in a custom tune(s) optimized for the larger MAF/CAI combo as well. This is the option that will get you the performance gains your looking for and is well worth the money.Since you already have a tuner you only need a CAI/MAF, and a custom tune shop that supports your handheld to buy the custom tunes from. If you want to work up to this end then you could upgrade one step at a time but it will probably end up costing more that way if you buy new at least. p.s. I may have a CAI/MAF available once I swap on a C&L, as long as my existing tune likes it. If you decide to go this route let me know and maybe we can work something out.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I would say No. I was running bama tunes with a stock airbox. I bought a C&L cai and got my free updated tunes. Not much difference at all. On the stock airbox, i had a K&N filter.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

a CAI has much better results with a custom tune than without a tune. as for a custom tune minus the CAI, less difference when adding the CAI but there still is a difference. basically, biggest difference comes from the tune itself. a CAI is icing on the cake.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rls82959
I would say No. I was running bama tunes with a stock airbox. I bought a C&L cai and got my free updated tunes. Not much difference at all. On the stock airbox, i had a K&N filter.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been wavering about whether to get the CAI/tune from Brenspeed or just getting the tune itself. Our setups are a lot the same: K&N drop in, duals, auto. I've read some other reports from guys who have said that they got most of the gains from the tune and saw little change with the CAI. Did you not see much difference at all when you added the CAI? At WOT also? I've read that a lot of Doug's gains come at higher revs.

My sixer is a daily driver. My reasons for the tune are mainly to improve shifting for hills and passing. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

I am running an 89 Brenspeed tune with the stock airbox. Its the best tune I have found yet for this configuration, car feels more 'ballsy' when coming off the line. They would be my suggested vendor for a 'tune only' upgrade. But like most of us here, I haven't tried all of the tuners - so take it for what is worth... However, I am still considering adding a CAI to experience one. If it doesn't do that much and becomes a maintenance pain, I'll just drop back to the 89 tune with the stock box.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by atldave
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been wavering about whether to get the CAI/tune from Brenspeed or just getting the tune itself. Our setups are a lot the same: K&N drop in, duals, auto. I've read some other reports from guys who have said that they got most of the gains from the tune and saw little change with the CAI. Did you not see much difference at all when you added the CAI? At WOT also? I've read that a lot of Doug's gains come at higher revs.

My sixer is a daily driver. My reasons for the tune are mainly to improve shifting for hills and passing. Thanks.

As far as the higher rev to get the gains. There are different tunes that focus on different rpms. Doug/Bama/AM have a "torque" tune that aims for 3k and under, a "performance" tune that is 3k and above. You get the tune according to what you want out of it. I run a torque tune, because mine is a dd and I usually stay under 3k rpms.

I have a C&L cai w/ bama tunes, love' em. But haven't tried other tuners either.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

It's difficult to feel a 5hp increase. I like the C&L cai and it's a quality product. I should mention, that I love the sound. Not just the CAI sound, but the exhaust sound as well. The cai made my GTM H exhaust sound tougher and a little deeper.
I've seen the 80/20 posts in regards to the combo tuner/cai packages. 80%tune and 20% cai.
I would say 85/15. Having said all this, I kept the cai and it's a good unit. CAI made no difference in shifting. The tune does that. I actually reduced the shift pressure on the bama tune, it shifts great.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Why would you want to do this? The real expense of the CAI/tune comes from the tune/tuner. The CAI is going to breath better, look better and preform better. I can't understand why you would want to not do the CAI expecially when planning to tune.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

Idk about the 05-09's but my 2010 V6's airbox does not seem very restrictive. However I have a C&L intake that I haven't installed yet because I am waiting to get my tuner in the mail. The biggest reason I bought the intake was because it looks sick under the hood haha. And i got it for a steal on ebay, but I am still stoked to feel the difference with the intake and the bama 93 tune when I get it.

Quick Reply: Cai vs Stock with a tune