Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do I say bye-bye to the 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Well turns out the dealer decides to tell us this car was salvaged and rebuilt - apparently when the car had only 500 miles on it, it got in a wreck. So no way in heck am I taking that thing.
Also after realizing that they are only .5 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile I wouldn't take one now... for some reason I thought they were a little quicker than that.
Realistically (and pretending I had the funds) what would I need for mods to have an even race with an 04 GT or have just a little edge over one?

Also after doing taxes I'm getting some money back that I wasn't expecting so I'm thinking I'll throw some duals on, and this summer hopefully a CAI+Tune
Is your parents still getting it for your brother? If I were them, I would look for a used S197 V6.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The 2v 4.6's will produce better ET's, and enjoy a larger market. Does not mean get rid of the 4.0, as it has potential too, with plenty of power adders on the market, it can run 13's and 12's easy if you make the right choices.

But fact is don't underestimate a 2v. I've seen them put out easily 450 to the wheels with a blower. They are a mod motor, so the market is larger for them, so there are plenty of options.

I'm a fan of the termi's and the mach1's. Both have bad *** power plants. At the end of the day choose what you like, you can have any ride you want as long as its a mustang.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Well turns out my little brother found a 02 v6 for dirt cheap with ~50k miles. We went and looked at it today, it was in "good" condition, underneath the car was flawless, the engine seems to be in great condition (it was from Arizona - I live in MN & am used to seeing rust all over - lol). So the flaws the car has is it needs to be buffed in a few spots, it looks like someone scraped something on the passengers side of the car and paint got on it, but luckily most of it buffs out. The rear bumper has a deep scratch. But at the price we got it for we're just going to get a GT rear bumper on it and throw some duals on the car and getting him a CAI+Tune. I'll try and post some pics later it's one of my favorite colors for the new edge's too.
My 21st is right around the corner so maybe I can see about getting me a CAI+Tune.
Also I'm going duals asap on my car I'm so sick of seeing the single exhaust on there. (If any of you have any GT takeoff mufflers pm me I'll buy 'em from you)

Also after riding for ~3 hours in the 02 I guess I could deal with one of them as long as it were a Cobra or Mach 1 :P (anyone know around what it would cost me to get a Mach 1 if I sold my car and tried picking a used one up from a private seller? I think in my area I could get around 13k fr my car, maybe more - my Ford dealer sold an 05 nearly identical to mine for $14k not long ago)
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Well turns out my little brother found a 02 v6 for dirt cheap with ~50k miles. We went and looked at it today, it was in "good" condition, underneath the car was flawless, the engine seems to be in great condition (it was from Arizona - I live in MN & am used to seeing rust all over - lol). So the flaws the car has is it needs to be buffed in a few spots, it looks like someone scraped something on the passengers side of the car and paint got on it, but luckily most of it buffs out. The rear bumper has a deep scratch. But at the price we got it for we're just going to get a GT rear bumper on it and throw some duals on the car and getting him a CAI+Tune. I'll try and post some pics later it's one of my favorite colors for the new edge's too.
My 21st is right around the corner so maybe I can see about getting me a CAI+Tune.
Also I'm going duals asap on my car I'm so sick of seeing the single exhaust on there. (If any of you have any GT takeoff mufflers pm me I'll buy 'em from you)

Also after riding for ~3 hours in the 02 I guess I could deal with one of them as long as it were a Cobra or Mach 1 :P (anyone know around what it would cost me to get a Mach 1 if I sold my car and tried picking a used one up from a private seller? I think in my area I could get around 13k fr my car, maybe more - my Ford dealer sold an 05 nearly identical to mine for $14k not long ago)
What happened to the "I love, love, love my car?"
Old 04-17-2010, 08:24 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

dude, so ur almost 21...just keep your car and save up for a couple years and buy exactly what u like. For now buy a few mods to keep u satisfied, but if u want a gt, just save up for later. Im 20, 21 in june and am on my 3rd mustang. I have the problem of trading in as soon as i see something i like and recently realized if i just kept the first mustang and saved since than, i could seriously almost have enough cash for a 2011 gt base addition. U lose about 4 g's on trade in and its ridiculous. (i had a 01 gt vert i bought for 12,500 and traded in about 7 months later and got 8300 trade in) I have learned my lesson and am keeping my 05 and just gonna save for like a 2014 or something like that. Most people here can tell u stories like this, but hearing it from someone young like me should tell u something. glad to here u all found an 02 v6, now u definately got the edge on your bro
Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

I think in my area I could get around 13k fr my car, maybe more - my Ford dealer sold an 05 nearly identical to mine for $14k not long ago)
If they're selling them for 14k I doubt they're gonna give you thirteen for yours. You'd be better off selling your car yourself if you want to get the most out of it. Still I'd say don't sell it there's always going to be a faster car out there if you love your car keep it. If you need more power check out a good CAI and tune (C&L, JLT, DeMolet).