Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What mod next?! Any suggestions?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:24 PM
pshake

Default What mod next?! Any suggestions?

I already put a roush CAI and a single flowmasters A/T axle back exhaust. I have 20 in shelby rims and tires and a few other visual mods.

I want my mustang to be louder, more muscle car like. Dont really need it to be much faster. Money isnt too much of an issue.

I dont really wanna switch to dual exhaust, I feel like 6 cylinders pumping into one exhaust is gonna sound better than 3 into two. This was determined thanks to youtube lol.

Do I put new shorty headers on it? Alot of people say shorty headers wont make a bit of difference.

Really not sure what I can do. Any help please?!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Holy crap man! Louder than a single Flowmaster American Thunder...geez, not sure what to tell you there. I hear MACs are crazy loud.

I recently converted from a single Flowmaster American Thunder to the FRPP true dual exhaust kit. Trust me, sounds SOOOO much better than the flowmaster, especially when pushing the throttle all the way down.

I don't know about you, but on my 08 V6, that flowmaster sounded like a damn ricer when I really laid on the gas. It sounded great in the lower RPM's, I purposely avoided the higher RPM's because of the ricey sound.

The FRPP kit comes with the GTB mufflers taken off the GT Bullet (sp?). They are definitely quieter than the flowmaster you have, but they do sound so much better when you lay on the gas. IMO, it makes your car sound MORE like a muscle car than that single flowmaster. And, it adds some great low end torque which improved the driving experience and fun factor for me.

As for the headers, take your time and do your research on the forums. Many people do report that they add a noticeable, deeper note to the sound of your exhaust. The HP gains though are reported to be minimal.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Vista75

Switching to duals is a great idea. I have the cat back Borla system on my 07 v6 and love it. At stop lights people tell me how great it sounds. I am in the "Go for it" camp when it comes to headers. I can't say I noticed any HP difference but my exhuast would drone really badly at about 35 mph but once the headers were put on there was no more drone. Accelration felt more smooth and the over all sound was more smooth.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Duals are nice. I also put shorty headers on actually gas milage went down.... I just recently put on a Shaker Scoop. Now that is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam
Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM
pshake

So if I were to convert to duals what would I buy? I wouldnt want to get rid of my Flowmaster I already have. I dont think the AT sounds ricer at all, the CAI def helps the sound quite a bit, at high rpms it screams haha I love it.

Would I buy something like
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-0509-v6-xpipe.html

and another flowmaster AT?

Like I said I already have 20 in rims, can I still put lowering springs on it or will the tires not fit?

Thanks for the help, I wish I could find a youtube video of someone with a single exit exhaust and headers. The fact that I cant find one leads me to believe that no one does that kind of set up and probably have a good reason for it. However I cant really find any reason not too.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:51 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

You can buy that X pipe you linked to and then you also need a midpipe, but any good muffler shop could fabricate you one. And yeah you'll need a driver's side Flowmaster. And just so you know that X pipe is considered better flowing than the H pipes, but H pipes provide a deeper sound. An H pipe can also be fabricated by the muffler shop and is relatively inexpensive. Here's a couple videos with my dual Flowmaster A/T's with a custom H:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tao0JKQSZU0
P.S. Posting that video reminded me, you'll also need to either cut a whole in your stock 6er bumper (like my car in that video) or buy a bumper for a GT or GT500 (like my car now lol). It's getting tougher and tougher to find take-off rear bumpers though. Check craigslist, ebay, and mustang forums classified sections
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lFYh...eature=related

Last edited by staggolee; 04-25-2010 at 04:54 PM.