Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Performance on a Budget

Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 PM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
The previous owner of my 05 got the stock 17" GT alloys with Pirellis put on I'm assuming since I have them. I'll have to go measure the rotor tomorrow. I don't think its anything other than stock but I don't have any rubbing or anything different with my set up right now that I am aware of
The only clearance issue encountered is between the 18" Bullits and the V6 brackets. I have not heard any problems talked about with the 17"s. The 18's are actually a different design of a Bullitt rim. The 18" don't look like a traditional 17" Bullitt, the webs are differently shaped and the lip is also totally different. The 18"s are 8.5" wide rims. Ah....and now I just noticed in your sig pic you don't have the 17" Bullitts!!

From what I understand the GT Brake Caliper Brackets move the calipers out farther from the center line of the spindle to accommodate the larger diameter rotor, that in turn will give us more clearance between the bracket and the inside surface of the 18" bullitts webs. Also, from what I understand, the GT uses the same Caliper itself as the V6, so its just a difference of the Rotor and the Bracket.

From a rubbing stand point, with the 235-50 18"s on there I was awful close to the inner fender liners at full steering turn without the steering stops installed, and I would guess that I would had a possibility of a rub under the right circumstances.
Attached Thumbnails Performance on a Budget-18-inch-wheels-1.jpg   Performance on a Budget-18-inch-wheels-2.jpg   Performance on a Budget-m-1007-s1885_a.jpg  

Last edited by 05raggtop4.0; 05-01-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I thought the Bullitts were the upgrades, I thought mine were stock GT rims. So basically I am just swapping some brackets and rotors... wonder if I should go with some slightly higher performing GT rotors. When I drive up north around I95 and all of that crap there can be quite a bit of stop and go.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

I think the 17 bullitts were the standard wheel on the 05 GT's. The PP V6 had those 17 bullitts on as part of the package. I THINK your wheels were an upgrade GT wheel in that year, or maybe even a later year......I THINK! Ford puts so many damn rims out there I loose track!

After putting on the 18's I notice a slight bit of a reduction in stopping power. Prob a bit more weight and inertia to deal with. So I want do drop on the larger rotors and brackets this spring when I free up about $150 to buy the kit, plus another $50 or so for pads I would expect.

You driving I95 out east......I don't blame you for considering it too!!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 PM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

JCON,

I found this 05 specification page from an electronic copy I have of the sales lit. Check it out, the wheels you have were the upgrade wheel on the GT for 2005.

And I remembered they did not offer the PP until 06 so that is why the bullitts are not mentioned as an option for the V6 on this spec sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
05 Wheel Specs.pdf (102.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-02-2010, 06:43 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

thanks ragtop!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 PM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangit9090
I couldn't help it. I'll bow out now.
funny, I think my v6 firebird would probably take your gt by at least 3 car lengths. Now back on topic, why not go with a short shifter? it will help clean up your shifts
Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by v6motorheadftop
funny, I think my v6 firebird would probably take your gt by at least 3 car lengths. Now back on topic, why not go with a short shifter? it will help clean up your shifts
LOL, my brother and I built a V6 car that will wipe any GT all over the street, only a heavily modified Cobra (or Super snake) will keep up in a straight line, but the big difference is, this V6 can turn, those Mustangs will sail right through the corner

Yeah V8's are nice and sound great but Weather like what I've been having makes it worth having the $5K difference in my pocket and having a vert. No reason to have two race cars..... yet
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Potato
Hmm, I see. But, if it's too low of a drop, I'll have to correct the camber and other suspension components to fit with the lower stance. Is the GT brake upgrade just the rotors? Or is it the whole caliper and brake assembly?

Right now, I have the stock 16-inch v6 wheels.

Thanks for the advice!
The only thing you would have to upgrade with a drop to adjust pinion angle would be UCA's. You can adjust camber yourself if you google it and do a little research. But its really not that expensive, I would just get it done at a local brake or performance shop. The only thing you need to upgrade for the GT brakes are rotors and brackets. The caliper is the same. Like stated earlier, you do need atleast 17's.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 PM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
LOL, my brother and I built a V6 car that will wipe any GT all over the street, only a heavily modified Cobra (or Super snake) will keep up in a straight line, but the big difference is, this V6 can turn, those Mustangs will sail right through the corner

Yeah V8's are nice and sound great but Weather like what I've been having makes it worth having the $5K difference in my pocket and having a vert. No reason to have two race cars..... yet
The funny thing is, one of my buddys uses a 2009 corvette as his dd and his track car is a 97 camaro with a v6. Thing is sick. I belive he's up into the 700ish rwhp (may be higher now). His car puts mine to shame. I just think it's funny that his vette is his dd
Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ABQstang89
The only thing you would have to upgrade with a drop to adjust pinion angle would be UCA's. You can adjust camber yourself if you google it and do a little research. But its really not that expensive, I would just get it done at a local brake or performance shop. The only thing you need to upgrade for the GT brakes are rotors and brackets. The caliper is the same. Like stated earlier, you do need atleast 17's.
Gotcha. How much of an upgrade are the brakes though? To me it seems like I would get the same or an even better upgrade if I just upgrade to a bigger rotor and a better pad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance on a Budget