Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Performance on a Budget

Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Default Performance on a Budget

(this has been posted on 4.0collective, no deja vu )

I'm a car geek on a budget that wants to still have some fun with his car (legally). I was planning on going out to my area's chapter of SCCA / Autocross racing this summer and race my car around the cones. I understand that because of certain modifications done to my car already, I would probably be put in a different class. But that doesn't really matter to me, I really want to try it out and have fun. Do you guys have any tips for a person just starting out like me? I appreciate any suggestions that you can give me.

Right now, my car has a cold air intake, a Bamachips tune, and a Ford Racing dual exhaust.

My plan is to drive it like this for a while, in order to control all the power that I currently have, and then gradually build up as I hone my skills.

I've been doing some research on the internet as to what kind of upgrades I could have for a good price, and I would like to know what you guys think about them.

1) GT take off Bullitt wheels and P-zero tires: The take off wheels and tires will be an upgrade from the stock 16" wheels. I'll probably craigslist my older wheels to gain some cash back.

2) This:

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...t_detail&p=152

For the money, that looks like a really good deal. It comes with springs, dampers, and a rear swaybar (but I think i have to buy endlinks for the sway bar separately). The upside is the great price. But a downside is that the dampers don't seem to be adjustable.

So what do you all think of my list so far? Should I add / change anything? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Last edited by The Potato; 04-28-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

I remember the thread. It's a great deal if thats what your looking for. Do you eventually want a drop or no? i would also think about an 8.8 or LSD with gears.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ABQstang89
I remember the thread. It's a great deal if thats what your looking for. Do you eventually want a drop or no? i would also think about an 8.8 or LSD with gears.
A drop would be nice, but it isn't a priority. But, I don't want to have too low of a drop because this is also a daily driven car. Upgrading the rear axle is defiantly a mod I want to do in the future. I plan on swapping out the 7.5 for an 8.8 with 3.73 gears from newtakeoff later on down the road.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:11 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Its up to you but I would put together a drop kit myself if I was in your shoes. Get the drop done and upgrade to some more performance oriented suspensions pieces. Springs, shocks, struts, UCA's, bumpsteer, cc bolts, etc etc. Might even want to do the GT brake upgrade. What wheels do you have?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:53 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Hmm, I see. But, if it's too low of a drop, I'll have to correct the camber and other suspension components to fit with the lower stance. Is the GT brake upgrade just the rotors? Or is it the whole caliper and brake assembly?

Right now, I have the stock 16-inch v6 wheels.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

GT brake upgrade.
GT rotors and caliper brackets.
The calipers are identical.
And some 17" rims to clear the GT calipers brackets/rotors...
Attached Thumbnails Performance on a Budget-caliperbracketspartnos.jpg  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:07 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I too am interested in auto x. I am looking at a GT brake upgrade. Already have 17" with Pirelli P Zero's. My next mod I think is going to be a rear anti sway bar. Just driving a few select roads here I feel the weight shifting while cornering
Old 05-01-2010, 04:31 PM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Potato
My plan is to drive it like this for a while, in order to control all the power that I currently have, and then gradually build up as I hone my skills.
Yeah bruh, gotta learn how to deal with the massive power that v6 is throwing down. IDK if I could personally handle it without extensive practice.

Best of luck to you in trying to keep it on the road.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangit9090
Yeah bruh, gotta learn how to deal with the massive power that v6 is throwing down. IDK if I could personally handle it without extensive practice.

Best of luck to you in trying to keep it on the road.
Great contribution to the thread
Old 05-01-2010, 05:56 PM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
Great contribution to the thread
I couldn't help it. I'll bow out now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance on a Budget