Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Altimas Need Not Apply

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't blame the Altima for much of your Mr. A's embarassment. Most drivers that you run across really don't have a whole lot of hard driving experience at anything other than stomping on the throttle straight away from the traffic lights, and your guy simply bit off a bit more than he could chew. He's obviously uncomfortable about not having lots of paved runoff room (or perhaps afraid that he'll hit the barrier/guardrail/guard cables). I'll bet that he's the kind of guy who always heads for early apexes and cuts the left lane people off when there's two left-turning lanes at a major intersection and he's starting from the right lane. Probably doesn't look much past whatever is just barely over the hood line.

I'd be a little careful about lumping all everyday sedans into a category that suggests they have little cornering/handling potential. Or about assuming much with respect to their drivers. Here's one that just might surprise ya, if I took the numbers off.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-05-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Back when I had my W8 I was going through the EZPass right before a bridge here in DE, it goes from 2 EZPass lanes and 6 toll lanes down to 4 and then 3. Well me and a 3.5 Altima are side by side so I start to speed up to get to the merge, so does he, I slow down, so does he, this goes on two more times and I have 200' to merge. So I floored it. Now I don't know what his 3.5L V6 is capable of (least of all pulling at 70mph), but when the flat plane crank shaft 4.0L W8 goes WOT, it can hit 168mph in 5th gear without mods. In a matter of seconds I was over 120mph and climbing fast and I couldn't even see him.

Altima owners around here are mostly kids with more money than a standard civic owner. They are all DBs though. My old 4.0L put him in his place and I am hoping my new 4.0L can as well, although I know top end pulls will be different.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Moral of the story, you just should have took one for the team and PIT manuevered him off the road.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I hate people like that. I go to work at 10 am and home at 7 pm, so I am lucky to aviod the "rush hours".
Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05MustangMarkIII
Moral of the story, you just should have took one for the team and PIT manuevered him off the road.
And mess up my paint? lol
Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

I constantly run into these kind of people. The only people who never seem to mess with me are other Mustang or sports car drivers/non import. I've also never been flipped off while driving until I got a Mustang. Apparently it's my fault that I nearly got run off the road by this bitch. No turn signal just start moving into my lane when I'm literally right next to her. I slowed down and let her in and she honks her horn and flips me off. Why's it always women though? I guess they all do hate me. and.....RANT
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
When the light changed, sure as s**t the whole front of his car lifted as he tried to launch ahead of me.

So anyway, I'm off down the interstate doing about 80 and the speed limit is 70. It's a six lane area and I'm all the way to the right because my exit is coming up pretty quick. Sure as hell, about thirty seconds later, here comes captain Altima off in the left hand lanes.
I never knew Altimas had enough power to lift up the front end. Wow.

"Captain Altima" has me in stitches! Great story!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
And mess up my paint? lol
Lol thats why I said take one for the team.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by satur9poet
I never knew Altimas had enough power to lift up the front end. Wow.

"Captain Altima" has me in stitches! Great story!
Yeah you know those FWD cars will lift the front end a little if they slam the gas. It wasn't like the tires came off the pavement or anything. Just that tell tale signature that old boy had just stomped on his loud pedal.

By the way, great signature quote.

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 05-05-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 AM
The_Enforcer
1st Gear Member

im glad im not the only one that thinks about PIT maneuvering people that deserve it! lol

Quick Reply: Altimas Need Not Apply