Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is the 2010 V6 THAT bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I'll tell you one thing.... After making some modifications my V6 is lightning fast compared to stock (cold air intake, true dual exhaust, aggressive tune, 4.10 gears). I have friends who have GTs and they can't believe how my V6 runs.

Even stock, though, it still has plenty of get up and go.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by designbc
I mean, I test drove one and I loved it, but I don't have experience with muscle cars.
Test drive BOTH of them, back to back, and make your decision. If you love the 2010, then buy it. If you enjoy the 2011 better, then buy it. The 2010 v6 is a great car. If in the future you want more power out of the 2010 v6, supercharge it.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigscott
I owned a 2005 v6, recently traded up to the GT. Im a performance guy and the v6 sorry to say IS a dog.
Again^^ Can't compare it to a GT, thats obvious.

Much better cars out there superior performance wise for the same price or cheaper.
Just out of curiosity, what new car can I go out and buy for $18,500.00 or less that is superior in performance? Or looks better?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

The first thing you have to remember is that the automotive media has been anti-domestic for a long time. The second thing you have to remember is that they are full of sh**. Lets take the "dog slow" 4.0 Mustang V6 for example. It has a 0 to 60 time of 6.9 seconds. Now by comparison, the 2002 Toyota Celica GTS was a car that the automotive media just heaped the praise upon and couldn't say enough nice things about it. It had a 0 to 60 time of 7.3 seconds and at that time cost as much as a Mustang GT. The Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS is a full second quicker at 5.8 seconds, but then again it has a base price of 30 thousand dollars putting it in Mustang GT territory from a price standpoint. 5.8 seconds isn't going to beat a GT. The venerable Honda Civic Si hits 60 mph in 6.7 seconds.

I could go on and on but you get the point. From a performance standpoint, the 4.0 V6 has nothing to hang its head about. It is not a dog by any means. It is easily on par with just about any other so called "performance" car out there in the same price range. It handles good, it looks good and its very quick and that just irritates the crap out of the guys in the automotive media who are a bunch of liberal wack jobs that hate domestic cars and think we should all be driving 4 banger, front wheel drive crap cars because that somehow proves we are good stewards of the earth or sophisticated or something. Don't listen to the nose in the air crowd that writes that garbage. Additionally as an owner of a V6 automatic and someone who has also owned a GT don't be swayed by this notion that the automatic is not quick. I drive it and it is very quick. No, it's really not that bad.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

ive had my 4.0 for almost 4 years now and havent had any complaints. looks, comfort, and grunt when i need it. like its been said before, get what makes you happy and f*** anyone that tries to put it down.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

For the price I paid for my six I don't honestly think I could have found another brand new car that I would be as proud of owning a MUSTANG! It is not the most powerful car I have owned but it is no slouch! The way I see it the difference is the GT is about 1 second faster 0-60 sounds better, but the six is enough to get in trouble!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
The first thing you have to remember is that the automotive media has been anti-domestic for a long time. The second thing you have to remember is that they are full of sh**. Lets take the "dog slow" 4.0 Mustang V6 for example. It has a 0 to 60 time of 6.9 seconds. Now by comparison, the 2002 Toyota Celica GTS was a car that the automotive media just heaped the praise upon and couldn't say enough nice things about it. It had a 0 to 60 time of 7.3 seconds and at that time cost as much as a Mustang GT. The Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS is a full second quicker at 5.8 seconds, but then again it has a base price of 30 thousand dollars putting it in Mustang GT territory from a price standpoint. 5.8 seconds isn't going to beat a GT. The venerable Honda Civic Si hits 60 mph in 6.7 seconds.

I could go on and on but you get the point. From a performance standpoint, the 4.0 V6 has nothing to hang its head about. It is not a dog by any means. It is easily on par with just about any other so called "performance" car out there in the same price range. It handles good, it looks good and its very quick and that just irritates the crap out of the guys in the automotive media who are a bunch of liberal wack jobs that hate domestic cars and think we should all be driving 4 banger, front wheel drive crap cars because that somehow proves we are good stewards of the earth or sophisticated or something. Don't listen to the nose in the air crowd that writes that garbage. Additionally as an owner of a V6 automatic and someone who has also owned a GT don't be swayed by this notion that the automatic is not quick. I drive it and it is very quick. No, it's really not that bad.
+1 Very well put, moral of the story. Get what you like!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Civic4doorsleeper
4th Gear Member

I would get an New Edge GT IMO..

or like everyone else says, go for the 2011
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 AM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

my car is quick enough. When it boils down to it with my mods, a GT isn't that much faster. Do a Tune, intake, and exhaust and your car will feel quick enough. to this day i am still shocked how my "****ty 4.0 V6" moves out. you wont be disappointed, and if you are getting such a good deal like I did, there is nothing to complain about.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Zoom_H
1st Gear Member

the 4.0 is not 'bad', it's just an old design that has probably passed its time for a sporty coupe. but will it get the job done, and do it reliably day in and day out? history seems to say yes.

Quick Reply: Is the 2010 V6 THAT bad?