Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whats the BEST sounding Muffler for Duels on a 05-09 V6 ? ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM
JimC

socal -- if you already have the GT take offs, then you have the GT500 mufflers. Check the part numbers stamped on them. The GT500 through the 2009 model year used the stock GT mufflers for the automatic equipped GT's. Nothing was special about the GT500 mufflers.

The Shelby GT mufflers are a different story. They were GTA style
Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM
The_Enforcer
1st Gear Member

cervinis website has a clip of the side exhaust on the v6s. its pretty accurate, i think mine sounds better but thats probably the CAI and tune.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

I know there's a lot of talk about getting rid of the Y pipe, but I have a reverse Y setup on my car. I think it sounds pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0iZxnd9NpU
Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by staggolee
My flow pop on cold starts too. It's kinda funny because they'll kinda pop on the initial launch then pop hard when I shift to second. I don't think it really hurts anything and too be honest a part of me likes the sound too lol
Your PCM is in open loop mode until your cats get up to temp and the
O2 sensors start sending valid readings to the PCM allowing it to go
into Closed Loop mode and the A/F becomes more desired.
Open Loop Mode is rich with fuel and the popping occures.
Closed loop and the A/F is more close to ideal and no popping.
All will do it and it should not be a consideration during the
purchasing phase of the exhaust system.

FRPP all the way baby.
Avoid anything with the letter "Y" in it.
Its not worth anything to y two down
and then y it back out to two...
Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
IXLR892

Default Question

Which would sound better for a 2009 Mustang V6. I am going for both performance and sound and i want to be 50 state legal.

1. SLP Loudmouths americanmuscle.com $350
2. SSS Terminators partscheap.com $300

Thank You
Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

i got a full setup. JBA shorty headers, custom H, and flowmaster american thunders... i love them, if i had to, i would definatley do it again. or even recommend them. i get plenty of compliments on it and people who think its a V8. i wish i had vids though. maybe il post some soon.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:49 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Hey Red, I've got the same set-up except the JBA shorties, but I've been thinking about them. Did you install them after the A/T's? What kind of differences did you notice in sound and such?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
Hey Red, I've got the same set-up except the JBA shorties, but I've been thinking about them. Did you install them after the A/T's? What kind of differences did you notice in sound and such?
i actually got it all done at the same time, so i cant really tell you if it even made a difference at all. i think it did, but i wouldnt recommend them to you without me knowing what kind of difference for sure since they added roughly 800 to my bill of my exhaust. what part of corona are you in? do you ever come by orange? if i was free at some time i could always show ya so you know for sure.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:50 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05raggtop4.0
FWIW we have the Y to Y conversion running M/T GT Takeoffs and have Zero Popping or backfiring. Nice throat and no ricer sound here. As far as striving for a sound like the V8 "rumble".......we would all need 2 additional cylinders to achieve that!!
Last line=very well said and 100% true. I find some exhaust almost sounds like a John Deere tractor on the 6 or the SRT4 for that matter. Again congrats on your statement
Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

I have the Flowmaster Super 40's w/ X pipe, and LOVE it! My wife would hear me coming home about 1 minute before I even got to the house. It has a nice deep tone, but when you first get them installed, the drone is damn near unbearable! But once it gets broken in, the drone is a lot less noticeable.

Quick Reply: Whats the BEST sounding Muffler for Duels on a 05-09 V6 ? ? ? ?