Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

First mustang! Throttle problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:42 AM
GiddieUP

Default First mustang! Throttle problem...

Hey guys just bought my first mustang 2 days ago, 06 white v6 mustang. Beautiful car but only one problem, whenever you go to accelerate the gas pedal doesn't do anything for about a inch maybe a little more then it starts pulling, but since your trying to find the point where its going to catch it makes it difficult to ease into acceleration and can cause sort of a lungey type takeoff and I don't really care for that during everyday driving since it makes start offs at lights kind of slow and the same for turns. I saw on here about the plastic spacer mod but also saw people talking about how it can damage your car or break or even break your cable. Im taking it for an alignment and balance tomorrow and was wondering if there was a more reliable fix or did ford or any other company make after market cables that were about a inch to 3/4 shorter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GiddieUP
Hey guys just bought my first mustang 2 days ago, 06 white v6 mustang. Beautiful car but only one problem, whenever you go to accelerate the gas pedal doesn't do anything for about a inch maybe a little more then it starts pulling, but since your trying to find the point where its going to catch it makes it difficult to ease into acceleration and can cause sort of a lungey type takeoff and I don't really care for that during everyday driving since it makes start offs at lights kind of slow and the same for turns. I saw on here about the plastic spacer mod but also saw people talking about how it can damage your car or break or even break your cable. Im taking it for an alignment and balance tomorrow and was wondering if there was a more reliable fix or did ford or any other company make after market cables that were about a inch to 3/4 shorter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As far as I know all of these cars are computer controlled throttle. I'm not sure what cable you mean. I haven't delved off into mine yet as it's so new but I'm almost sure they are all computer controlled. If so then your pedal problem could be related to that. It certainly shouldn't have that much play before the throttle responds.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:20 AM
GiddieUP

Oh, I saw people talking about throttle cables on 03's and thought it was the same for 06's. If its computer controlled is there any place I can take it to, to "tune" it to get rid of the play?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

That sounds strange/wrong. If you have warranty go see the dealer.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:03 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GiddieUP
Oh, I saw people talking about throttle cables on 03's and thought it was the same for 06's. If its computer controlled is there any place I can take it to, to "tune" it to get rid of the play?
The 3.8 engines did have throttle cables. I would suggest the dealership for starters to find out what is wrong with your pedal. It's a very unusual problem.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 AM
JimC

There is quite a bit of throttle lag in automatics - usually a tune will take care of it. Some people did find that the "brushes" were not making contact and took the pedal apart and adjusted it. For me, a tune took care of the lag.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

They started the drive by wire 05, I heard of a trick to make it more responsive before tune/CAI. Turn the car on without cranking the motor, wait for the lights to clear. Then start accelerating with the pedal until its to the floor then hole it there for about 5 seconds. Let off, then crank the car it gives you better throttle response Iv'e tried it. Has anyone else done this?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:32 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05MustangMarkIII
They started the drive by wire 05, I heard of a trick to make it more responsive before tune/CAI. Turn the car on without cranking the motor, wait for the lights to clear. Then start accelerating with the pedal until its to the floor then hole it there for about 5 seconds. Let off, then crank the car it gives you better throttle response Iv'e tried it. Has anyone else done this?
Eddie, I've tried that. It helps a little. =-)
Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Other than the recalibration procedure described in the Owners Manual (it won't bite or burst into spontaneous combustion if you open it), a custom tune will help. Of course, a custom tune will also add quite a bit of RWHP and improve overall driveability but who'd want THAT?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

There is also another fix, in the pedal box itself. Moving contacts so they touch sooner.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-must-see.html

Quick Reply: First mustang! Throttle problem...