Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

71 MPH in a 40 MPH Posted

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Nathan0490
1st Gear Member

Default 71 MPH in a 40 MPH Posted

Hey guys,

yesterday I got my first speeding ticket, ever. I had just gotten out of work(10am) and was trying to make it across town from Mesa to Phoenix to the VA hospital for a Dr Appt that was at 10:30. I wasn't paying attention to my speed as I was coming around the bend toward the turn to get onto the on ramp and there was 2 motorcycle Mesa cops sitting there clocking people with Laser. The first guy instantly got behind me and threw his lights on motioning for me to cross 4 lanes over and get off the road. I promptly pulled off the road, put it in park, rolled down my window and put my hands on the wheel. He came up and I greeted him and he asked me if I knew what the posted speed was. I said that I believe it is 45 in this area and he said no its actually a 40, do you know how fast you were going? I said I believe I was doing around 50 to which is said no you were doing 71. To which I didn't have much to say because I was kind of blown back by that. He then said give me one reason I shouldn't take you to jail right now for criminal speed to which I said "I apologize Officer, I'm trying to get to the VA hospital over in Phoenix and I was not paying attention to my speed". He glanced at my insurance card and took my license and temp registration back to his bike to run everything. He came back up and said, "I am cutting you two breaks right now, first I am not taking you to jail (criminal speed here is anything over 19 over the posted speed) and I am not giving you a ticket marked "Criminal speed" but instead of "Civil Traffic". He warned me that if he saw me going anywhere near that fast again that he would arrest me on site and said to drive safe. I thanked him and was on my way.

In Arizona you must have 24 months between the times you go to traffic school, I attended traffic school in October of 2008 for a "Failure to Control" ticket dismissal from an accident I was in. That was technically my first ticket but never went on my record because it was dismissed due to the school.

On the citation it says ;

SPEED- Approx 71, Posted 40, R&P 40 -- Speed Measurement Device; Laser

Violation; 28-701A ARS SPEEDING +31

So my two options are pay the ticket in the amount of $371.00 or go to the court date on July 6th and ask the judge to lower the fine due to this being my first offense. Some people say that it is worth it to goto court because sometimes the officer will not show and that is an automatic dismissal. My uncle who is a retired police officer said he thinks that going to court would be unwise because he believes that the judge can decide to change it to criminal speeding if he's having a bad day.

Bottom Line: I messed up, do not have $371 and would like some opinions of people who have been in similar situations before.

(I posted this on AFM as well)
Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

My opinion for what it's worth is to pay the fine. Your uncle being a cop has first hand knowledge and is probably giving you the best advice from experience. I just got one the other day. I was not paying attention and made a left turn on red in front of the cop no less. I do not know your situation but I would have lost more money by not working and going to court trying to get it reduced. I have been told, and do not know how true it is. If you lose your case you can be responsible for court costs also. You may also want to check on that. In your case the cop cut you a big time break. Not only did you not go to jail but I would have assumed they would have taken your license. If you take this to court and the cop shows up you are probably going to be royally screwed. Also you are not going to get it completely removed from your record. So you are in the same boat as I am being how much are the insurance rates going to increase?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

First of all you are extremly lucky you are not in Jail right now, second don't count on the officer not showing up to court that day as it is his day to go to court. If you do go to court bring a good lawyer as your Uncle is correct. Find a way to pay the ticket. Its one thing to get caught intentionally speeding and another to get caught oblivious of how fast you were going.

About 11 years ago, I was running late and about an hour away from my home my wife was waiting for me for once (were going to a wedding). I had a 1986 Buick Grand National and I was Intentionally speeding, well above double the speed limit on the highway. I came flying around the corner and to my surprise facing me in the emergency lane was a Virginia State Trooper. I thought about running..but then thought better, I pulled over right away turned the car off and waited for the trooper to arrive. The trooper was pissed to say the least and the first thing out of his mouth was "Are you insane", and then "give me a good reason not to arrest you this moment!" My driving record was immaculate, thank GOD! It was the only thing that saved me that day...Went to court, paid the fines, went to driver course to reduce some of the 6-7 points I received, and its just came off my driving record this year.(Yes in VA wreckless stays on your driving record that long)

Sorry for the long story!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

At least you weren't deported to Mexico. Just fun-in. Really, I'd pay the fine. Since you were WAY over the limit....remember, the officer did give you BREAK in the first place.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

pay the ticket...you already got your break
Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
pay the ticket...you already got your break
Ditto. The cop was fairly lenient given the circumstances, i'm with your uncle, don't push your luck.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:11 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

thats really not that bad of a fine, and honestly pay it. you could end up paying it and court costs. or then it court cost and possibly a lawyer fee.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nathan0490
On the citation it says ;

SPEED- Approx 71, Posted 40, R&P 40 -- Speed Measurement Device; Laser

Violation; 28-701A ARS SPEEDING +31
Was going to advise a radar detector but never mind. Haven't gotten a ticket since I got mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5Lh...ext=1&index=17

Wow 19mph over I've been pulled over 40mph over not even a mention of this kind of law. $150 noise violation no driving school no points with a lawyer. I've had 3 tickets and always go to court. Twice without a lawyer still no points. However this is NY not AZ and I have no clue how your traffic courts work. Good Luck
Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
At least you weren't deported to Mexico. Just fun-in. Really, I'd pay the fine. Since you were WAY over the limit....remember, the officer did give you BREAK in the first place.
+1, why you shouldn't speed around corners and where you can't see a good 100 yards or so ahead of you!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Lulz, pony up. You play the game and you got caught. Next time use that money to buy a Valentine or drive smarter. Being late is better than never getting there at all.

Last edited by alkemist; 06-10-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 71 MPH in a 40 MPH Posted