MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   Short trip, oil & battery concerns (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/605092-short-trip-oil-and-battery-concerns.html)

rls82959 06-11-2010 02:30 PM

Short trip, oil & battery concerns

Hi everybody,
The company I work for is moving much closer to my home.
I like that a lot, no more highway miles and a 10 minute drive.
I have a couple concerns about the oil getting hot enough in the winter and the battery charging without the highway miles.
I'm still on the factory battery and I use Mobil 1 with the Motorcraft filter.
Any short commute concerns you folks know about?
Thanks,
RS

Nuke 06-11-2010 03:59 PM

As far as the oil, you may develop some moisture that won't burn-off. My g/f has about a 1 mile drive to work (I keep telling her to walk!) and the oil in her Pony has evidence of moisture after a few thousand miles. I change her oil at 4,000-5,000 miles (depending on how much of that was extended highway) with Motorcraft blend in lieu of about 6,000 miles that I'd normally go on blend. There's no sense using full synthetic if you're changing it early due to short trips.

As far as the battery, you'll be fine if you make the occasional 1-2 hour trip. Otherwise, go on ebay and get yourself a Battery Tender. It comes with cable that you can connect permanently to the battery for simple plug-in to the Tender. But the OE battery is suspect to begin with so don't be surprised if it poops the sheets anyway.

157dB 06-11-2010 04:08 PM

+1
moisture in the oil is a problem
and a battery tender.....
A long trip on the weekends of over 20 miles
will burn off the accummulated moisture.

2005Redfire6 06-12-2010 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 157dB (Post 7052120)
+1
moisture in the oil is a problem
and a battery tender.....
A long trip on the weekends of over 20 miles
will burn off the accummulated moisture.

How else can you get rid of the moisture?

svastano 06-12-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6 (Post 7052803)
How else can you get rid of the moisture?

No other way than to drive her hard to get it hot and make the moisture evaporate. As for someone else whol only had a mile commute. I would consider that hard driving in terms of oil. I would accelerate the change to at least the 3000 mile or below mark. That moisture in the engine can do lots of damage! Just my opinion.

157dB 06-12-2010 08:55 AM

That short of trips will not accumulate enough mileage to
have 3000 before the 6 month time span has elapsed.
I would change the oil regularly at 6 months and have
it analyzed for moisture/acid content after changing.
Or just run it hard for a few miles until the operating
temps are up and the moisture has had a chance to
evaporate every week.
Heck, run her hard and get some drive time other that
1 mile of stoplight racing a day....

rls82959 06-12-2010 07:57 PM

Thanks for the information.
No problem taking her out for a weekend spin on the highway.
I'm just about due for an oil change. I change the Mobil 1/Motorcraft every 5K.
Sounds like if I get her good and hot, 5K should be okay. I know Mobil 1 lasts longer than
5K, but I change it at 5K mainly for the filter and the drivetrain 5/60 warranty. (if i need that warranty, dealer won't notice my 8.8 right? haha)
The battery has been fine. I always shut off the shaker5 and the AC/Heater before I turn off the engine. But it is the original battery, so I may need one this fall.

Am I stretching this page side to side somehow??

2005Redfire6 06-12-2010 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by rls82959 (Post 7053828)
Thanks for the information.
No problem taking her out for a weekend spin on the highway.
I'm just about due for an oil change. I change the Mobil 1/Motorcraft every 5K.
Sounds like if I get her good and hot, 5K should be okay. I know Mobil 1 lasts longer than
5K, but I change it at 5K mainly for the filter and the drivetrain 5/60 warranty. (if i need that warranty, dealer won't notice my 8.8 right? haha)
The battery has been fine. I always shut off the shaker5 and the AC/Heater before I turn off the engine. But it is the original battery, so I may need one this fall.

Am I stretching this page side to side somehow??

My 2005 still has its original battery :p. 39k miles.