Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch replacement: Spec Stage 1 or Centerforce?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch replacement: Spec Stage 1 or Centerforce?

Clutch replacement. I am not planning on going FI.
Which one should I choose?
1. Spec Stage 1 clutch
2. Centerforce CFT363309 - Centerforce I and II Pressure Plates & Clutch Discs
Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Kevin, I would go with the SPEC mainly because there isn't much info on the Centerforce out there.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Thanks Eddie! I am having some lag issues, but not sure if it is my clutch or something else.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Thanks Eddie! I am having some lag issues, but not sure if it is my clutch or something else.
Lag as if the clutch is slipping almost? What is your mileage?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Yes, the lag seems to happen when I shift into 2nd gear and then into 3rd gear, if I don't shift at higher RPMS. It doesn't happen all the time though, but enough to be of concern. My car has 60,XXX miles. I tried putting the car in 4th gear and start driving and it did start to stall, which is a good sign. I am going to try a couple more things to see if it is slipping or not.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 06-11-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Yes, the lag seems to happen when I shift into 2nd gear and then into 3rd gear, if I don't shift at higher RPMS. It doesn't happen all the time though, but enough to be of concern. My car has 60,XXX miles. I tried putting the car in 4th gear and start driving and it did start to stall, which is a good sign. I am going to try a couple more things to see if it is slipping or not.
Ahhh it could very much so be the clutch.... Let me know if you need help diagnosing it! I am pretty familiar with how the clutch feels in our cars when it is starting to slip!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

If the clutch is slipping generally you will smell it. Kind of smells like real hot brakes. Also if you are driving down the road in say third or forth at around 2000RMP or so and you punch it and the RPMS got up but the car does not accelerate the clutch is definitely slipping. I'm mostly with Eddie on the clutch brand although it seems SPECs seem to run a little on the noisy side at least they post the torque capacity of their clutches where Centerforce does not. On the other side of the coin there have been quite a few positive post about the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch for the 4.0 V6 and how they also seem to run much quieter. If you aren't going FI I would lean toward the Centerforce. Just my 2¢
Old 06-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I would go with NEITHER.
Read the horror stories about SPEC clutches in these model mustangs and you will do a double take really fast.

I had a horror story myself. Centerforce does not have a good rep with these cars either.

I'd go Mcloed or Exedy.
Mcloed is more expensive.
Exedy makes GREAT clutches for these cars and they do not cost an arm and a leg either.

I'm giving you a fair warning and so will others about SPEC.
DO NOT buy a SPEC!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:39 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I would go with NEITHER.
Read the horror stories about SPEC clutches in these model mustangs and you will do a double take really fast.

I had a horror story myself. Centerforce does not have a good rep with these cars either.

I'd go Mcloed or Exedy.
Exedy makes GREAT clutches for these cars and they do not cost an arm and a leg either.

DO NOT buy a SPEC!
............... They don't make Mcleod's or Exedys for the V6 to my knowledge....

As Gaylon said Kevin you should be able to get away with a centerforce for what you will be using it for!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I would go with NEITHER.

I'd go Mcloed or Exedy.

DO NOT buy a SPEC!
We put a McLeod's in my sons 2009 GT and it was nothing but problems. Had the transmission out three times in one month. We then put a SPEC 3+ in it and it hasn't had an issue since. I also run a SPEC 3+ in my V6 and it works just fine.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement: Spec Stage 1 or Centerforce?