Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 to V6 swap ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

i thought the swap costs more tho?
i might be wrong on that
Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CWyler
OK here goes nothing... dont flame me, Im really only asking, not bashing

I just dont see the draw of FI our 6's, everyone seems to agree that going FI costs about the same as a swap? Correct?
Well if it costs the same why would you not go up to a V8? Ok so a FI 6 can beat a stock 4.6, but once you mod a 4.6 does it not make it more powerful? I just dont see the advantage of going FI to be beaten by a slightly modded V8.

again Im only asking you guys to explain the thinking here, Im looking into a V8 swap but if you make a good point you may sway me. dont flame me please!
Well think about the numbers for a second. You can probably find a good v8 for anywhere between $2500-5000. The transmission $2000-2500. Then the 8.8 rear end $900-1100 if you don't already have one. So we're up to $5500 on the low end and still not done. Suspension, ECU ect. still to go. I doubt it can be done for the price of a SC. In the long run horsepower is addictive, and the v8 is a far more mod ready/power ready platform.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
Well think about the numbers for a second. You can probably find a good v8 for anywhere between $2500-5000. The transmission $2000-2500. Then the 8.8 rear end $900-1100 if you don't already have one. So we're up to $5500 on the low end and still not done. Suspension, ECU ect. still to go. I doubt it can be done for the price of a SC. In the long run horsepower is addictive, and the v8 is a far more mod ready/power ready platform.

Plus for some people right around 290ish hp is plenty and it's just more fun to make something slow go fast than it is to make something fast, faster. Not to mention the cool factor in both looks and sound lol.

I know what Cwyler is saying though, I had thought the same until I started actually pricing parts for a swap. I think the only good way to swap in a 4.6 is if you have a buddy who totaled his and let you rape it on the cheap.

Buying everything from (where ever) is expensive as hell.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

I looked into a v8 swap back when i had my v6 and spoke to people to have done the swap and unless you have a donor car and do the labor yourself, then its gonna cost atleast 8k.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 AM
SuperNac
1st Gear Member

Thats just it for me ... Cost is (but isn't) a major issue. If I could keep the swap under the price of a used 2012 5.0L then I can accomplish 3 things.

1) Sell the idea to the wife
2) Save some $
3) Keep the mustang I bought and love.

I use the 2012 5.0 as my example because A) when this 4.0 is done that is what I would upgrade to and B) 2012 because you NEVER buy the first model year on a new motor. Let em work the bugs out first hehehehe.

I thought about doing the 4.6L with a donor car, however the idea popped in my head to use the 3.7 because by the time I get around to doing this I might be able to find a donor car and well mine is a v6 and the 3.7 is still a remarkable upgrade to what I currently have. I do not want to put anymore $ modding my current engine as it already has 80K on it and yeah I'll probably get 100K more out of it but that gives me plenty of time to plan.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SuperNac
...because you NEVER buy the first model year on a new motor. Let em work the bugs out first hehehehe....
Just like all the bugs in the '05 getting worked out by '06... Or was that '07? Or was that '08? Maybe '09?...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I apoligize for huge post but you aren't alone trading a 6 for a 6 I did a 2010 GT for a 2011 V6

OMG I'm nuts....actually 10 HP less, 7 days driving 30 to 80 MPH 27 MPG avg so far , puttin a K&N in today see how that does too.

Most everyone here know what I USED to drive................you think your NUTS, go ahead beat me up here is my post from a thread when I traded last week....
Well traded the 2010 GT for this last night, it's got the power, the looks, better MPG's and not sure if because Mustang Club of Amer. edition, no Spare has the air pump like the Shelby, my GT Premium did not have that and glad I heard the headrest fold down, cuz they do block, I hope the V6'er can welcome me into the Fold now that I'm a reformed Gt'er LOL The other nice things was appraised my 2010 GT with all the modds and let me remove my wheeels and tires I had on , rear roush louvers which will look good on this car, pretty much everything except gauge tower and alum. DS

Well I ain't racing, 14 months driven hard, probably got my thrill out of it, now I got a car, yeah, betther MPG, less insurance, lower payment, was even trade, pretty much only thing I lost was Alumi. DS and Gauges, $1,000.00 they let me pull everything off, give you a good price on my Godspeed wheels and toyo 20's, the electronic steering is nice, 6 spd 72 runs at 2 , 000 rpm, I probably modded my other so much it got guddy, so starting fresh, this one has to HID's nice front end, got some nice mats to w/ pony on them, like the 18 " wheels, comes with the no spare option, has the air pump thing, hey free 6 months Sirus radio, put my 2 year subscp. on hold then turn on after the free 6 months run out, I can't explain, I drove the 5.0 but I wanted a different look and was not wantng to wait around for one to come in and pay 35K, I got this through my company X plan 27,800. no dock fee, 1,000 back, new warranty, 4% loan.....Hey sorry, I come from a long line of autioneers, so maybe that explains....sorry guys, I can't explain the 10 Harleys i owned over last 8 yeasrs either and no longer have, but got same wife for 36 years LOL maybe all them years at sea.

Let me start out by saying….yes, I have to update my tag…now read on..
Ok so sold my wheels and tires from my FIRST MUSTANG LOL, then after 5 hours and some plastic adhesion spray and several cans of spray paint and help from my friend putting the louvers from my OLD 2010 along with my caliper covers ,the 2011 is slowly looking like I want….while doing this today found several other differences in the 2011…in the pictures see the rubber damper on the mufflers, hmmm, the sound proofing material under rear wheel wells, also oil changes are every 10,000 miles, and look at the one pick, a actual oil filter you can grab from above, also redline is 7,000 rpms, from the ford site statement below it displays as much as 8,000 I
I painted the windshield cover , mufflers, and radiator cover, so how’s lookin?

"6-speed manual transmission
Mustang now features a standard six-speed** manual transmission delivering a smooth-shifting performance. On top of that, it provides more responsive low-end acceleration and greater fuel economy in the high overdrive gear.* Enthusiasts will also appreciate the increase in tachometer redline display from 7,000 to 8,000 rpm. EPA-estimated V6 19 city/29 hwy/23 combined mpg"

Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Nice. I can see why you would trade 100%. Why pay the extra insurance alone for just a few ponies and torque. Looks nice. You need a new plate now though lol.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Yep getting the NCNascar tag Greg Biffle tag a ford driver will say 6SPD LOL, thanks for the understanding, dyno day is Nov 6 if pull 270 I will be happy any more I'll be blown away...imagine a blower on that thing?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

lol yeah, I had actually asked explorer express about that when I was debating trading my 10 for the 11v6. At that time they weren't sure since they didn't have a test vehicle but hinted that it may be hard to supercharge since it's already a pretty high compression engine. But said they would know more after some R&D.

Hopefully they get something to work for you guys in the near future. 370-380hp from a v6 would be nice indeed lol.

Quick Reply: V6 to V6 swap ?!?