Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Racing CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM
CWyler
3rd Gear Member

Default Ford Racing CAI

I am about to buy a CAI and Tune, I like the looks of the Ford Racing CAI but I have some concerns with the size of the intake tubing, I realize the tune is the key to the Compo, however the intake looks restrictive compared to the C&L:
C&L

Ford

Is it all in my head?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Either performs well. Hopefully, you're not going with the FRPP tune.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 PM
CWyler
3rd Gear Member

No, Ill go with Bama
Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CWyler
I am about to buy a CAI and Tune, I like the looks of the Ford Racing CAI but I have some concerns with the size of the intake tubing, I realize the tune is the key to the Compo, however the intake looks restrictive compared to the C&L:
C&L

Is it all in my head?
A larger more impressive looking tube doesn't mean you get more air. At the end of that tube its the same diameter throttle opening and that is going to let the same amount of air through regardless of which tube you have. The Ford Racing package is using the stock tube and combining it with the cone filter it looks like. As you said, the tune is the key. I plan on putting this Ford Racing CAI on my on own V6.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Glad to see this post. I'm planning on ordering the FRPP CAI tonight from AM, with the SCT tuner combo. After much thought, and seeing CAI's on a number of cars, I like the Ford one the best. I made my decision because of the housing shape around the filter on the Ford. It's designed to pull most of the air from the front of the car, and box out the hot air from around the engine. On a lot of CAI's this housing doesn't do much more that hold the filter in place. From what I understand, the colder the intake air, the better.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

with a cold air intake, add a larger throttle body and get more impressive numbers after you tune
Old 08-07-2010, 12:09 AM
CWyler
3rd Gear Member

TB's Really only help with FI
Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I agree that they most likely perform just the same. So the only choice you really have to make is which looks better to you and is it worth the price for a better look I guess. Either way you'll be happy after the tune I think. The only part of my C&L I don't like is the blue connecting hoses. But so far I've been too lazy to hit the hardware store for some black ones
Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

I always liked the looks of the FRPP CAI best. It seems well-integrated into our engine bay and just looks finished to me. I didn't get it because I got a great deal on a used JLT. VMP has done extensive testing to show that there's no gain at all by using a larger air intake tube. They just use the stock one:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=192&parent=82
Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

The FRPP air box seals with the hood liner, or an available hood liner in the case of the older S197s. In tests, FRPP was able to demonstrate their air box design was able keep the intake air 50 degrees cooler than under the hood temps compared to 17 degrees with other designs. That has to help but would not be apparent on DYNO tests done on rollers usually with the hood up which does not simulate real world driving conditions.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing CAI