Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which CAI is for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

I looked into adding a BBK CAI to my car but after researching it I decided against it. A lot of reviews and posts from guys that added it stated the car throws a "lean" code even though they had the battery unhooked during the install. Most of them just said something to the effect of "Oh well, I unhooked the battery and it went away, problem solved." No problem not solved, there's a reason that your OBD threw that code and that reason is the car is running lean. Lean engines run faster and that's why you notice a difference just by adding the BBK without a tune. Anything that gives you 20 hp and 20 foot pounds torque without using a tuner is suspect to me. I personally think that BBK setup leans the car and yes that will make it run faster but it's also why so many guys get the lean code and I would be worried that in the long run it's doing damage to the engine. That's just where I come out on it and I'm not telling anyone not to buy it. I just personally look at the overall and saw CAI with no tune + 20 more hp + lean code = lean running engine. I just wouldn't take that chance.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
I looked into adding a BBK CAI to my car but after researching it I decided against it. A lot of reviews and posts from guys that added it stated the car throws a "lean" code even though they had the battery unhooked during the install. Most of them just said something to the effect of "Oh well, I unhooked the battery and it went away, problem solved." No problem not solved, there's a reason that your OBD threw that code and that reason is the car is running lean. Lean engines run faster and that's why you notice a difference just by adding the BBK without a tune. Anything that gives you 20 hp and 20 foot pounds torque without using a tuner is suspect to me. I personally think that BBK setup leans the car and yes that will make it run faster but it's also why so many guys get the lean code and I would be worried that in the long run it's doing damage to the engine. That's just where I come out on it and I'm not telling anyone not to buy it. I just personally look at the overall and saw CAI with no tune + 20 more hp + lean code = lean running engine. I just wouldn't take that chance.
Since when does a BBK give you 20 more hp? Lol! Where are you getting your information buddy? They're good for people like to say 5-7.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

20 RWHP gain on a no-tune-required CAI? Let's see the writeup. And if you're quoting the advertised RWHP gain, please remove your cranium from your buttocks.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

If they simply unhooked the battery and reconnected it after only a few minutes of installing, yes it's going to throw codes. The battery needs to be disconnected long enough to send the pcm into adaptive learning (I believe a good 15-20 min is the general consensus).

If you don't do that, yes it throws a code just like it's supposed to... Thats not the cai, thats someone installing wrong.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
20 RWHP gain on a no-tune-required CAI? Let's see the writeup. And if you're quoting the advertised RWHP gain, please remove your cranium from your buttocks.
Woe take it easy guys. Yes the 20 hp gain is claimed by both advertisers and plenty of the guys who wrote reviews after installing the thing. Take it up with them. I'm just passing on their claims. Who knows if it's true or not. All I'm saying is that given how closely the ECM controls the engine in these S197 cars you are probably asking for trouble by adding a CAI that doesn't require a tune.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
If they simply unhooked the battery and reconnected it after only a few minutes of installing, yes it's going to throw codes. The battery needs to be disconnected long enough to send the pcm into adaptive learning (I believe a good 15-20 min is the general consensus).

If you don't do that, yes it throws a code just like it's supposed to... Thats not the cai, thats someone installing wrong.
Yes there were some guys who got the lean code because they either didn't unhook the battery or didn't leave it unhooked long enough. But there were also plenty of them who reported driving the car for several weeks with no problem then getting a lean code. I just don't trust the thing.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Woe take it easy guys. Yes the 20 hp gain is claimed by both advertisers and plenty of the guys who wrote reviews after installing the thing. Take it up with them. I'm just passing on their claims. Who knows if it's true or not. All I'm saying is that given how closely the ECM controls the engine in these S197 cars you are probably asking for trouble by adding a CAI that doesn't require a tune.
Probably a 20hp gain with a Tune that is.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

No stand alone CAI will get you a 20 HP increase. With a tune, that is more likely!
Trust me, I drove around with the Airaid CAI for many months before I installed the custom tune and didn't feel much of a performance gain.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 08-09-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Also I just want to point something out and this isn't directed at any posters here.

1. Never believe and advertiser when they claim you can get 20 hp just by adding a CAI without a tune.

2. It's ok to believe the same advertiser when they claim you can add a CAI without a tune and it will be ok.

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 08-09-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I put on the Ford Racing CAI today, part of the combo pack that AM is selling now. I decided on the Ford CAI because the housing seems to do a better job of pulling the cold air from the front of the car. A lot of housings only support the filter, and aren't as efficient. They pull a lot of hot air from around the engine. If you look at the insulation under the Mustang hood, you'll see that it is designed for the Ford CAI. It almost totally seals off the engine heat. Using my Mustang Forum discount, I think the combo was only $512. Comparing retail prices, this saved about $125. I thought about doing the BBK or no tune route, but finally figured if it was worth doing, it was worth doing right. Besides, the Ford Racing logo, on the intake really looks cool. The only negative, I found out after installing that the Ford filter, is not considered cleanable, or rechargeable. It's supposed to be replaced. Oh, well, I still really like it.......

Quick Reply: Which CAI is for me?