Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Boomtubes Drone

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 AM
MustangDO

Default Boomtubes Drone

So I finally got myself a set of the boomtubes dual exhaust for my 2010 v6 and slapped them on the moment i could.

I did a fair amount of research into the exhaust before i bought them because i wanted something that wasn't going to make me either wanna drive around with earplugs or put an icepick through my head.

And sure enough to my surprise, it seems that there is a fair amount of drone coming from the boomtubes exhaust. Now, here is the thing. I've noticed that when i come to a park or a stop and get out the car, i can smell exhaust. Not sure if this is a normal thing with a new exhaust set up or if i have a leak somewhere.

The question I have is if the boomtubes really have this much drone? Can an exhaust leak cause you to have more drone?

If this really is how the boomtubes sound i rather go back to stock.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangDO
So I finally got myself a set of the boomtubes dual exhaust for my 2010 v6 and slapped them on the moment i could.

I did a fair amount of research into the exhaust before i bought them because i wanted something that wasn't going to make me either wanna drive around with earplugs or put an icepick through my head.

And sure enough to my surprise, it seems that there is a fair amount of drone coming from the boomtubes exhaust. Now, here is the thing. I've noticed that when i come to a park or a stop and get out the car, i can smell exhaust. Not sure if this is a normal thing with a new exhaust set up or if i have a leak somewhere.

The question I have is if the boomtubes really have this much drone? Can an exhaust leak cause you to have more drone?

If this really is how the boomtubes sound i rather go back to stock.
Yes, all exhaust smells like that brand new. I'd give it a chance to break in first.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:02 PM
V6Vin
1st Gear Member

I have dual boomtubes and to lessen the drone I had two 18" glass packs added just in front of the axle, fixed the problem and no more popping when you rev. Any muffler shop will put in the glass packs for around $100.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I personally like popping.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

MustangDO, New mufflers will smell at first, and after they break in they should sound better, If the muffler is loose at a clamp it will drone more. But some mufflers will drone more than others. I did a lot of research before buying true duals for mine and decided to go with the true duals from NewTakeOff. No drone at all, sounds and looks great!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 PM
MustangDO

thanks for all the helpful replies. I've gone back a few times here and there to make sure everything is properly clamped down, and i have to say the drone has improved slightly.

I have found an issue that may be causing excessive drone in the car. I've noticed some clearance issues with the pipes heading into the mufflers with respect to the body. My suspicion is that this is causing a large amount of the drone i'm hearing.

When i get a chance i'll try to jack it up and see if i can fix the clearance issues or I may just take it to a shop and avoid the hassle.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

When I installed mine I had to cut the passenger side over axel pipe 3/4 inch so it didn't rub the fuel line! So its possible yours needs adjustment
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 AM
MustangDO

Yah, that's where i'm having the same exact issue. I've tried moving it all over the place already to make sure everything fits and no luck. Was hoping i wouldn't need to cut it since i dont have the tools for it and dont wanna pay someone else to do it.

I'll take it in tomorrow and see what can be done.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

i dont really ahve any drone from my boom tubes but i also have headers and a v8, not sure how different it is for you.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
i dont really ahve any drone from my boom tubes but i also have headers and a v8, not sure how different it is for you.
It would obviously be different between and V8 and V6...

Quick Reply: Boomtubes Drone