Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can I do a simple exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Can I do a simple exhaust?

Hey guys

I've seen a lot of exhaust questions lately, so i thought why not throw mine into the mix? So for a normal 2014 v6, well any newer mustang, axle back kits are really expensive. Because of that, would it be possible to just take out the two stock mufflers and put/weld in some flowmaster/brand of my choosing? I know there is no performance gain whatsoever, and its ok because i'm not looking for any. I've also heard that there really isnt gains with an axle back, without redoing the whole exhaust system. So would just replacing the mufflers work? I just want something... A little louder haha
Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
Hey guys

I've seen a lot of exhaust questions lately, so i thought why not throw mine into the mix? So for a normal 2014 v6, well any newer mustang, axle back kits are really expensive. Because of that, would it be possible to just take out the two stock mufflers and put/weld in some flowmaster/brand of my choosing? I know there is no performance gain whatsoever, and its ok because i'm not looking for any. I've also heard that there really isnt gains with an axle back, without redoing the whole exhaust system. So would just replacing the mufflers work? I just want something... A little louder haha
Good question! The answer is Yes you can do this. There isn't going to be any power gains from an axleback exhaust anyway. It would be perfectly fine to just cut the stock mufflers our and weld in a replacement muffler. You will miss out on the nice tip that an aftermarket will have. You also won't have the slightly larger piping that could benefit you down the road. However, if you're looking to save money I don't see a problem with this approach!

Keep in mind there is definitely some affordable axlebacks out there! By the time you get the mufflers and take the car to a shop to have them cut/welded in you could be pretty close to the price of an aftermarket axleback. Just something to think about!

Either way I don't think you can go wrong. Let us know if we can help you out! We're only a phone call away.

-Dan
Old 01-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks dan!

The reason I'm looking for this route is because the car thankfully has a bumper to bumper 100,000 warranty, and the only thing replaceable is the exhaust from the cats back. I don't think I should be going and changing the whole thing just yet.

Now, I bought my previous flowmaster mufflers from y'all. Even though they say 79-04 on the description, if i buy the right inlet/outlet location and pipe size, they should work fine?

P.S. v6 axlebacks probably don't get y'all the most sales for 11-14, but I would love to have more sounds clips to go along with them! They are irreplaceable in my eye when choosing an exhaust
Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Have you heard of Youtube? lol...

AM's exhaust clips are HORRIBLE. It's like they bought the microphone eat a dollar store for some of them. The models they care sound exactly the same as what everyone else sales. I may have bough my mufflers from them, but I went to youtube for the exhaust clips.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Somehow... in someway... Youtube escaped my mind completely lol.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Have you heard of Youtube? lol...

AM's exhaust clips are HORRIBLE. It's like they bought the microphone eat a dollar store for some of them. The models they care sound exactly the same as what everyone else sales. I may have bough my mufflers from them, but I went to youtube for the exhaust clips.
Yes, I did the same thing, you tube, I only wanted axlebacks, but couldnt get Magnaflos for my 2014 3.7, but got a great deal on a catback Mag for only 100 more than it would have cost me for axleback flos or Borlas at the time, good luck, sound is personal, but most sound cool
Old 01-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Chopper, how do you feel about the magnaflows? Overall opinions I guess. I know there top notch, but what is your take living with them?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:12 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

You can find a nice used set for a few hundred bucks
Old 01-15-2015, 01:18 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/magnaflow-mufflers-for-V6-Mustang-2010-2014-/171639490710?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27f682c896&vxp=mtr
heres a used set for fairly cheap. it's ending soon though
Old 01-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm that might be the way to go if I want to go the whole way

Quick Reply: Can I do a simple exhaust?